R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-26-2005, 06:41 PM   #16
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default I had the same problem this past weekend....

My buggy did the same thing....engine ran in reverse even though I KNOW! I had everything hooked up correctly. I couldnt give it throttle or it'd die instantly...but if I restarted it, let it idle for approx. 30 secs., there'd be a "jump" in the idle, and suddenly the wheels would RE!-reverse themselves....ie, turn correctly...some local guys told me that what probably was happening was it was very chilly, maybe 60ish. Given that, and a very rich setting, the engine might have been starting at BDC instead of TDC like it should. Seemed to make sense I guess...anyway, after it heated up a little, it was fine.I am also using a "hot" plug, which in effect, advances the engines timing. I probably could go with a "medium" plug, but I dint run very long cause it started raining .....anyway...hope this helps you understand your problem....if it indeed was your problem as it was mine.
NitroOB4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 06:40 AM   #17
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to LightningStruck

I've had this happen a quite a few times, but mainly with fresh motors. What usually happens is the piston approaches TDC and instead of completing the cycle, it gets enough friction/compression to turn back around before hitting TDC. This will kick the motor over backwards, and walla, a reversable FWD only 1/8th buggy... This doesn't really hurt anything, and the only real reason it runs like crap is the timing is WAY off.. I've attempted to drive around our track with my RC10GT going backwards once, quite comical.
~Curt F.~
Agama A215, REDS R7, Futaba 4px, Byron Fuel
AE B5M, Reds 8.5, Tekin Rs
Special thanks to: Nemo Racing, Reds Racing, LeadFinger Racing
LightningStruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 08:45 PM   #18
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Sluggo Send a message via MSN to Sluggo Send a message via Yahoo to Sluggo

Hey... I've had it happen to me also with a bunch of motors, mostly new because they are tight and kick back and run in reverse. Two stroke motors are really a stupid animal and don't know which way they want to be turning so if by chance you got it started in reverse it will run but not very well. There are some two stroke golf carts out there that use this method for reverse. They run the motor backwards and when ya gas it you backup, flip the switch to go forward and the motor runs normal and off ya go. Just kill the motor and restart it and you'll be good to go.
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote