Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Sponsored Drivers running in Sportsman Class >

Sponsored Drivers running in Sportsman Class

Sponsored Drivers running in Sportsman Class

Old 05-02-2013, 02:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
The problem we had back in the day trying to do the whole losi spec tires was that traction with them was horrible.
I agree, in part, but believe there is a larger perspective.

The tires were marketed as a device to even the playing field with a nod towards affordability. This was largely accomplished not only by limiting the tread patterns (i.e. front ribbed and rear IFMAR studs for buggy) and compounds (one), but by making the tire (comparatively) durable. The result was, yes, non-specialized tread patterns in a compound that did not perform as well as other products available at that time.

The market has consistently demonstrated a desire for rules and structure, but not at the cost of innovation and product diversity/selection.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dominick i.
sponsorship= buying way more crap than you need at a discount
Old 05-02-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dominick i.
sponsorship= buying way more crap than you need at a discount
This is so true it's not even funny!!!

Unless you're 75% off or more... It's barely a discount! Most company's make more money on 50% drivers than they do from selling their stuff to distributors!!

Sportsman is a skill level!!! In electric racing, if there are classes separated by sportsman/expert, it's a joke!! Stock or mod that's it!!

In nitro(which I really don't care what they do)... They shouldn't have it either to be honest.

Some of you have to realize that just because average joe has a sponsor, that doesn't make him factory! There are sponsored "support" drivers and factory drivers. I'm sure we all know several "sponsored" drivers who can't even win a club race...
Old 05-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

I like the way our club does it. We run a novice class, but it's for RC novices, kids that bought a Rustler and still have the wheelie bar attached, monster trucks, dirt bikes. It's run whatcha brung, no transponder needed. Every week we see a bunch of kids watching but are intimidated and have never tried running on track before, we get them to sign up and it's without a doubt the most fun class to watch and marshal. A lot of those kids will show up a week or two later with a shiny new race rig. Everyone else gets sorted by the clock. No stock or mod. Classes are 1/10 2wd buggy, occasionally 1/10 4wd buggy, 4x4 short course, and 1/8 Buggy. It works out quite well and we're constantly attracting new racers. www.delrayoffroadrc.com
Old 05-02-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aeRayls
This is so true it's not even funny!!!

Unless you're 75% off or more... It's barely a discount! Most company's make more money on 50% drivers than they do from selling their stuff to distributors!!

Sportsman is a skill level!!! In electric racing, if there are classes separated by sportsman/expert, it's a joke!! Stock or mod that's it!!

In nitro(which I really don't care what they do)... They shouldn't have it either to be honest.

Some of you have to realize that just because average joe has a sponsor, that doesn't make him factory! There are sponsored "support" drivers and factory drivers. I'm sure we all know several "sponsored" drivers who can't even win a club race...
I believe Sportsman/Expert in electric remarks are aimed more at the 'open only' classes, mostly 1/8th scale, 4wd SC that are like nitro.

Don't forget guys that its not always about the sponsored/pro's mixing in with the sportsmen, but the other way around as well. If at a big race, typical 3 round of Q, post Q1 resort, if there weren't divided skill levels, any pro who missed Q1, flamed/broke/dumped/whatever, would pretty much be out of the event. As they would be mixed in with the absolute worst of sportsmen, and never get a chance at a good qualifier, as they'd be dodged bombs the next 2 qualifiers, and be buried in the mains. At least with divided classes, the 'slow' expert/pros are still enough to work with.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:02 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Shawn_S
I believe Sportsman/Expert in electric remarks are aimed more at the 'open only' classes, mostly 1/8th scale, 4wd SC that are like nitro.

Don't forget guys that its not always about the sponsored/pro's mixing in with the sportsmen, but the other way around as well. If at a big race, typical 3 round of Q, post Q1 resort, if there weren't divided skill levels, any pro who missed Q1, flamed/broke/dumped/whatever, would pretty much be out of the event. As they would be mixed in with the absolute worst of sportsmen, and never get a chance at a good qualifier, as they'd be dodged bombs the next 2 qualifiers, and be buried in the mains. At least with divided classes, the 'slow' expert/pros are still enough to work with.
I see what you're sayin but it doesn't really hold water. That's only IF they only resort after Q1... Most places I've been too either resort every round or they resort before the 3rd.

I've seen many pros and it's even happened to me blow out in the first round or even the first 2... Then they are in the very last qualifier with guys that are multiple laps down... Sometimes it's rough, but most times everyone is aware that someone way better is in the race and they lappers completely "part the seas" and they go on to TQ or qualify very well.

We need fewer classes with more entries in them. Racers are separated by mains the way it should be... Now with current tech electric's do bump ups. Which gives those guys qualifying in th F main somthin to race for.

"sportsman" just gives the drivers in the top ten an "A main" plaque instead of the "G Main" trophy they would've got!

I liked it back in the day when our state race only had mod buggy and mod truck and each class would go down an "L" main or "N" main. If they offered a sportsman mod class everyone knew it woulda been all the people that couldn't accept an ass whoopin in the real classes.

To me that's what this whole discussion is about: either sides inability to accept an ass whoopin!! Lol

Whether its a really good driver stepping down to dominate a sportsman class or or the average joe who thinks that they don't even have a shot before the race even begins and wants the sportsman class.

Man up and give it your all and have fun!!
Old 05-03-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by B.A. Racer
You guys must have a lot of interest in the 17.5 class wherever you guys are racing. In Indiana, we ONLY run open classes. The slower racers are put in the lower main. Nobody complains either...because the only way to get faster is to race with faster people. All stock and sportsman do at club levels is water down the classes IMO. Unless you have enough interest for 2 heats of mod and 2 heats of stock...why not just combine them for club days.
we do have a lot of intrest in 17.5 stock racing and the racing is awesome.
we see more and more guys coming out of mod and into 17.5. (talking 2wd buggy). to win @ 17.5 you have to be a good driver. last couple of open classes i've seen were 3 or 4 cars with mediocre to hack status drivers, our entire feild of 17.5's could take'em no problem.

"slow guys" have no place in stock racing, they just get in the way. the real sportsman class is where the slow/hacks belong.

i sort of dissagree with the only way to get faster is run with the faster guys, anyone can be fast. but be fast and clean lap after lap, 17.5 will teach you this instead of relying on a sick motor to make up for your short comings. HONE YOUR SKILL THEN GO FASTER. you know what they say...."slow is fast" lol
Old 05-03-2013, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaiser
we do have a lot of intrest in 17.5 stock racing and the racing is awesome.
we see more and more guys coming out of mod and into 17.5. (talking 2wd buggy). to win @ 17.5 you have to be a good driver. last couple of open classes i've seen were 3 or 4 cars with mediocre to hack status drivers, our entire feild of 17.5's could take'em no problem.

"slow guys" have no place in stock racing, they just get in the way. the real sportsman class is where the slow/hacks belong.

i sort of dissagree with the only way to get faster is run with the faster guys, anyone can be fast. but be fast and clean lap after lap, 17.5 will teach you this instead of relying on a sick motor to make up for your short comings. HONE YOUR SKILL THEN GO FASTER. you know what they say...."slow is fast" lol
I agree with you can get better by realizing that slow is fast. Definitely one of the most important thing for racers! But almost always, when I head to a backyard track with no real seasoned racers, I always race on their level. So running with faster people or with people on your level, you have to step it up in order to TQ and win. That is why you see people like phend become beatable in club races by locals, but when he needs to be clutch, he turns it up.

Also with running with the faster people, you will learn more from them. You can follow there lines and figure out why they are so much faster, ask about setups, and all that stuff.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

i hear ya, it goes both ways. especially when some of the better drivers at any particular club are running 17.5, then thats the class to run in, if they run mod/open then that's the class to run in.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Elite

I have stayed out of this thread on purpose, and have only read the last page, even though the subject greatly interests me.

Just want to say that Hartson & Cavalieri winning the 17.5 blinky J Concepts stock nationals goes against everything we stand for at X Factory. We give away expensive prizes to the winners of stock buggy at races all over the U.S. because we believe that's where Joe Club Racer should be, and he should be rewarded when he does well. Pros should stay the he;; out and race against other pros.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by YoungChazz
I have stayed out of this thread on purpose, and have only read the last page, even though the subject greatly interests me.

Just want to say that Hartson & Cavalieri winning the 17.5 blinky J Concepts stock nationals goes against everything we stand for at X Factory. We give away expensive prizes to the winners of stock buggy at races all over the U.S. because we believe that's where Joe Club Racer should be, and he should be rewarded when he does well. Pros should stay the he;; out and race against other pros.
agree 100%, i'm talking about club level.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I am fully sponsored by visa.....I have no idea what you mean by a contract? Or I should say, what level of sponsorship is that? I assume the guys that are 50% just get stuff at 50% off with no contract. And btw, I would value a tire sponsorship above all lol. Having lots of fresh tires would be better than a free kit imo.
I agree with the tire sponsorship. As for the 50% off sponsors, I think that sponsorship is a slap in the face due to the ever present over-inflated MSRP. Most of the time the guys that are good enough for 50% sponsorship also get a discount at the LHS on top of the "real world price". The price ends up to be the same or less anyway.

Mike
Old 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Tech Legend

hope we see it happen more often !
We will all be closer to just open class's .

everyone racing each other A&B&C mains deciding it all ...
Old 05-13-2013, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

"Stock" is a class, based on equipment and not skill level.

Highlighted above, they did stay out of running with the "Joes", it was called Expert. The average Joe's ran Sportsman at that race. If they didn't separate them I would agree and see an issue with it.

Stock is a class and it was a national event. Manufacturers are going to want their products represented the best they can so their Pro drivers attended, and ran against each other...in Expert.

IMO, no different than any other big race when they're separated into Mod and Stock. In which full factory drivers should not be allowed to run Stock...IMO
Old 05-13-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wild Cherry
hope we see it happen more often !
We will all be closer to just open class's .

everyone racing each other A&B&C mains deciding it all ...
What you're asking for, and shhhh, I could agree with didn't happen at that race. Like I posted, they were separated.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.