Sponsored Drivers running in Sportsman Class >

Sponsored Drivers running in Sportsman Class

Sponsored Drivers running in Sportsman Class

Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Legend

Default The future

Coming sooner, not later..

OPEN 2w buggy....

Don't get caught unable to control more motor.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I agree with most of what has been said.

Stock is dead. Sorry but it died with brushless motors. Call 17.5 stock all you want, it's just 17.5 turn in my opinion as it's way faster then stock used to be. Heck, today's "stock" class 17.5 motors are faster then the old 19t motors we used to run in the 19t class.

Not a big deal to people who are already racers. To me the problem is with the new people. Once they get out of Novice, the majority of them go to mod or open class. Why? Because they don't need top of the line motors and batteries to keep up, and they don't have to buy a whole bunch of new electronics to run mod.

If you really want a "stock" class as a stepping stone from Novice, 25.5 turn would be it in my opinion. It's working out great for the on-road guys running VTA. Also they would be slow enough that the more hardcore racers wouldn't care to run that class. But people who bought rtr's would still have to shell out $120 or so for a motor/esc combo.

But like ifuonlyknew said, tires would probably be a better way to go since there's a vast difference in what the rtr vehicles today come with for power plants. Back in the day when everything was a kit, it was easy, you just purchased a 27 turn stock motor with your kit and you were ready to run stock. Now look at how much you have to spend to convert your rtr to run stock.

But no matter what, racing is racing, there's always people who will cheat or bend the rules no matter how "fair" you try to make things for everyone. I think that's a big reason our local track who pulls over 140+ entries on a Friday night keeps everything as open class. Then no one can bitch and moan over what other people are running.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

They tried spec tires...Remember the blue Losi tires? They were supposed to be sauce resistant and were easy to see because they were blue. Some big races use handout tires and I think at the reedy race, you had to turn them in after the round. I am all for the all in one open class. Throw me in the F main and let me just work hard to move up.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:12 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Nobody wants to take first place in the F Main. That is why we need separate classes. Stock is fun but WAY slower then mod. Not sure why everyone complains about stock. I like the challenge of trying to make my buggy light, fast, efficient. A lot of good drivers race stock and stay there. I don't see a problem with it.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I dont mind winning the F main, then I bump to the E...
Old 04-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I read through the older posts and I didn't see anyone really say this.

Remember the Stock Class is really a "Spec Class" with the only real "Specs" is that you have to run a 17.5 Motor, and an ESC that can do Blinky everything else is pretty much open. Stock 2wd Buggy is the most popular class around here then mod 2wd Buggy. There are sponsored drivers but like most have said before just 50% off tires/bodies, or electronics, and sometimes their chassis, which almost anyone can get if you show the company you race and will buy tons of product.

Funny when you see racers that shouldn't belong in a class only run it because they are 50% sponsored and think they HAVE to run Mod or Pro, No they don't. When you have only been in not even a year and you're laps off the pace just run the stock (More for electric racing) or sportsman class (more for nitro racing) and LEARN your cars. Of course you will always get the slower guys crying because they are being beat by a "Sponsored" Driver but hey who cares you'll have a better race with guys your level, not getting killed by real factory 100% sponsored racers.

Andy
Old 04-30-2013, 02:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Sportsman and novice classes are just a place for a person who is starting. Once you have the ability to get a sponsorship, you should be forced to run open classes. Here if you run sportsman or novice, you cant be sponsored. If you get one, your automatically bumped to the open classes. Thats how it should be.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chevmaro
Nobody wants to take first place in the F Main. That is why we need separate classes.
I see that as a problem. Nothing worse then showing up at the track and having 15 different classes with enough for only a main or two. So boring. Who wants to go through a couple rounds of qualifying just to end up in the A main anyways because that's all there is. I like it when we are 5-6 mains deep in the class. If you are not happy with being in a bottom main, then it should be a goal for you to practice more and work on your setup to advance to a higher main. Just like most things in life, if you want it, then you have to work for it.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:09 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Speed Freak RC
I see that as a problem. Nothing worse then showing up at the track and having 15 different classes with enough for only a main or two. So boring. Who wants to go through a couple rounds of qualifying just to end up in the A main anyways because that's all there is. I like it when we are 5-6 mains deep in the class.
+1

If you are not happy with being in a bottom main, then it should be a goal for you to practice more and work on your setup to advance to a higher main. Just like most things in life, if you want it, then you have to work for it.

I wish this was true for the younger generations. Most seem to be very "I need to be good immediately or I don't wanna play" in their mentality. I'm sure every generation has said the same about the generation after them. I could go off on a rant that would be paragraphs long, but I'd rather just say: "Get off my lawn!"
Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
They tried spec tires...Remember the blue Losi tires? They were supposed to be sauce resistant and were easy to see because they were blue. Some big races use handout tires and I think at the reedy race, you had to turn them in after the round. I am all for the all in one open class. Throw me in the F main and let me just work hard to move up.
Yeah, but the timing of the whole thing was wrong. The problem with the spec Losi stuff was the fact that it was not just tires, but a whole spec chassis. It came at a time when interest in the hobby was at an all time low. With all the new racers, a spec class with a control tire would go huge. Leveling the playing field by limiting the traction eliminates the need to have the latest "spec" item that pushes the speed just a bit more. At big races the spec class would still be split into pro/sportsman/novice by lap times. It would make it so everyone could run more than one class with the same car. Think what it would be like to be a novice at a big race, and only be able to race one class. Also the colored tires looked stupid.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yeah the whole work ethic thing is a lot of it too. Look how many people here post the same questions, over and over, because it is easier than doing a little searching. Excellent example would be this guy in the 22 thread, that asked if there was markings on the caster blocks for the degrees of the blocks. He said he already looked on the blocks, yet couldn't see the numbers. I looked on amain, and low and behold the numbers were right where I remember from back when I had a 22. The time that he spent getting on here and posting his question could have been spent looking, and finding the number himself. Then I got chastised for making a snarky remark about his power of observation, or lack thereof. The whole process needs a massive overhaul. It could be a lot worse, but it could be a lot better.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Yeah the whole work ethic thing is a lot of it too. Look how many people here post the same questions, over and over, because it is easier than doing a little searching. Excellent example would be this guy in the 22 thread, that asked if there was markings on the caster blocks for the degrees of the blocks. He said he already looked on the blocks, yet couldn't see the numbers. I looked on amain, and low and behold the numbers were right where I remember from back when I had a 22. The time that he spent getting on here and posting his question could have been spent looking, and finding the number himself. Then I got chastised for making a snarky remark about his power of observation, or lack thereof. The whole process needs a massive overhaul. It could be a lot worse, but it could be a lot better.
Is the world out to get you?
Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Don't make me close the door on this thread. Just letting you all know before it gets that far.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think sponsorship comes in a matter or degrees.

I think we might all take notice if we saw the likes of Cav, Tebo, Phend, or Maifield show up at one of our local "club" races and run stock only to clean everyones clock.

Do those guys show up at their local clubs and race, most likely, but you generally wouldn't see them in a stock class. (Agreed with others, if its the ONLY class with #s,) then sure, you'll see a full "Stock" class.

I think its too difficult to make a generalized statement. I agree, a typical Wed or Fri. night club race is far different from a Regional or National event. As someone stated, I think for many Chassis Sponsors and perhaps some motor and ESC sponsors, they do expect those drivers to compete in the higher (Mod/OPen) classes, but many young drivers, who have that potential and are being groomed to compete, all start someplace. I know some drivers in training that ARE running is stock classes and generally do well, but perhaps their level of maturity isn't there yet to run in the Mod class.

I consider myself a "Partially" sponsored driver. I get discounts for motors and batteries. I am making the jump to Mod to push myself and get faster, but I also know, there are non sponsored drivers in Mod that will clean my clock. Fact is Fact. I've known people to get sponsorship (even partial sponsorship) based solely on attitude and willingness to help. Typically, a sponsored driver (Chassis or otherwise) takes notice and provides feedback to said company. They might not get handed a Factory Team ride, but even %10 or %20 can go a long way. And how many of the people here are getting a slight break on parts or kits thru the Hobbyshop they race? Is that considered Sponsorship?

I agree with others, "spec" or "Stock" ended with the use of Closed Endbell handout Silvercan motors. They're all variations of MOD now-days.

MOmo
Old 05-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb
2. Skill levels are novice, amateur, expert, professional..
Novice and Expert are skill levels, amateur and professional, are not.

Amateur means you it's something you do, but don't make your primary living doing it. Professional means it's something you do, and you make your primary living doing it. So you can be an "Expert Amateur", or even a "Novice Professional".

I personally don't think skill level classes have any business in RC racing, as all it does is open up every bodies skill level to personal interpretation, and sand bagging. Just run motor classes and let the mains sort out the rest. It's that simple. Fewer classes the better.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.