R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-17-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
Tech Initiate
Default revo charger insanely hot

after about 10-15 seconds after plugging the charger into the wall it is already too hot to touch. if i had my tuner temp thing i would know the exact temp. it gets so hot that when i spray the cold liquid out of my compressed air can it sizzles away as evaporation. my friend says that none of his chargers get hot. is this a known issue? i have no fear soldering something new on ... but i dont know whether the problem lies in that peice or something before it. it has been used ~15 times and it always works ... but it stays so hot i keep a fan on it. the peice that gets hot it in the upper right hand corner *arrow pointing to it*

revos_be_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
Tech Addict

Are you using the included 110V adapter or are you running off a 12V DC source? I had a customer with a similar issue. His charger was getting very hot using 110V so he started to use a 12VDC for input instead. The problem continued but we found out why. His 110V adapter was putting out almost 20VDC (under load). This caused the voltage regulator to overheat. When he decided to use a 12Vdc source he chose his 12V car battery charger. Not good. Those chargers don't have a regulated output (not needed when charging 12V car batteries). So his Revo charger was again over heating. He now uses a small regulated 12V power supply and has bought a new 110V adapter. We're still not sure what dammage/abuse/defect caused his adapter to pump out such high voltage but it was the cause of the charger getting hot.

Hope this helps.
Mike Evans
Buddha Tech Race Services ~ Build-Prep-Tune
buddhatechraceservices @ gmail . com
BuddhaTech is offline   Reply With Quote