Wiki Posts
Search

esc, motor, battery question

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default esc, motor, battery question

My setup is a tenshock 802L hobbywing xerun 150a esc in a 1/8 dex408 Durango (20t pinion 60t spur). I have 2 2s 5000 mah 65c gens ace batteries in series and it runs great on 14.8v. I'd like to slow it down and run 7.4v to have fun with buddies 1/10 sct but it cuts in and out real bad and isn't drivable. This motor is rated at 3500w so how i understand it at 14.8v that's 240a and at 7.4v that's 475a. The batteries put out 325a (65c 5000mah). So if I run both 2s in parallel and make it 65c 10,000 mah does that mean I'll be able to put out 650a and it'll run okay?

The ESC is rated at 150a but doesn't get hot when run at 14.8v (240a) so will it still be okay at 7.4v (475a) or will that burn it up? I'd be running it on a loose dirt track that is very short (about 1 second at full throttle every 15-20 seconds) so I imagine the motor would be nowhere near max power output.

Am I looking at this the right way? Am I overlooking a simpler problem that's causing it to cut in and out anytime I hit the throttle at 7.4v? (The ESC's LiPo cut off is set to 2s) And would it be a bad idea to try them in parallel?

Thanks, Chris
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

That ESC has issues running on 2s. Why not turn the epa down?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

I really don't think that motor was designed to work on 7.4v. Also if your buggy was equally powered to the SCTs you'd probably end up at a disadvantage. Especially running the same voltage with significantly less RPM. As above your best bet is to see if you can do a current limit or turn down your end point or something like that. That would be way easier to adjust until you're getting around the track about as fast as they are.