R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-15-2005, 10:27 AM   #1
Tech Rookie
Angry Duratrax Nitro Evader ST

My Son and I just got into Nitro trucks and he is having a major problem with going through Differential gears. Owners manual says to adjust after you hear it slipping. Well, we never got that warning. It just melted the gear. Installed another and adjusted per manual and went 4 laps on a 50 foot oval dirt track and went through another. Installed another Diff gear. Drove a few laps. Checked the tension again and it seemed to loosen up. Readjusted and drove. Went through another gear. Called Duratrax Tech line and was told how to adjust the tension, we found we were adjusing properly. However the Tech said the adjusting nut belonged on the right side (passenger side) of the truck. The nut in the truck and on the exploded view, are on the left (drivers side). Installed another gear and moved nut to the right side of the differential. Drove and went through another gear in about 6 laps. This is the 6th Differential gear he has gone through.
Any ideas????
xnitrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 03:39 AM   #2
Tech Master
Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

The Duratrax instructions are wrong..i noticed after about an hour trying to figure out why the diff wouldn't tighten up properly.
The diff nut should be facing the brakes.

Are you sure you are adjusting the diff tight enough?

Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2005, 07:31 AM   #3
Tech Adept
Send a message via MSN to DJ_Normal

Slipper clutch too tight? I went through a couple diff gears in my GT before I figured that one out. The diff is probably adjusted fine but the slipper is too tight and all the power is getting directed to the diff gear.
DJ_Normal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 03:12 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

I got e-mailed from a Duratrax Tech today and was told the Tech I spoke with was wrong in saying the "adjusting nut should be on the right side" (brake side) It should be on the drivers side. He did also mention the slipper clutch could be too tight. DJ_Normal, I will check that out. Thanks.
xnitrox is offline   Reply With Quote