Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD >

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

Like Tree1Likes

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

Old 05-16-2016, 06:46 AM
Tech Regular

Who makes good carbon fiber shock towers for the 3.0 still?
Old 05-16-2016, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slashn77
Who makes good carbon fiber shock towers for the 3.0 still?
JC sill has the front: http://www.jconcepts.net/shop/jconce...-f-shock-tower
Old 05-16-2016, 09:26 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by davidfast
Thanks for the link. Decent price and the geometry looks more durable
Old 05-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Tech Regular

Sick of destroying the stock wing. Maybe this will hold up better. I know, it's heavier, I don't care.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Nice sleek look! What r u using for the wing now?
Molded 1/8 scale wings usually hold up amazingly well for me
Old 05-22-2016, 10:19 AM
Tech Regular

That is the wing I'm using right now. The other one wasn't cracked or anything, just a little bent and hacked up, still usable though. I just like making stuff.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:25 AM
Tech Initiate

Just wondering on how you did this? I have a castle 1/8th scale system and cant fit my esc in the original place in front due to the wires being too short. I would like to place it exactly where you have yours. Thank you : )
Old 07-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Does anyone have a problem with their center diff leaking?
No matter how many times I change it and put fresh gaskets and seals on it it still slowly leaks.
I use Mugen 5000 oil in the center diff btw
Old 07-08-2016, 03:07 AM
Tech Regular

Does anyone have a problem with their center diff slowly leaking?
No matter how many times I change it and put fresh gaskets and seals on it it still slowly leaks.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Does anyone have a problem with their center diff slowly leaking?
I've been running Losi 1/8th scales for years and the diffs don't leak on me to the extent I have fluid coming out anywhere. I'm sure some fluid is coming out because when I rebuild diffs they are never as full as when I assemble them, but not enough leakage that fluid is visble on the outside.

It is possible you might have a bad case or gasket or seals, but it is also possible you are just not building them correctly, and that is hard for someone to diagnose over the internet.

For the gasket, you can try a trick people sometimes used on SCTE diffs: Get some of the blue silicone gasket sealer from a auto store, "dilute" is with a mineral solvent (I used lighter fluid) and paint the gasket on both sides. When it dries, you will have it coated with additional sealant the should help seal the diff.

If the problem is the outdrives, you might consider using Associated RC8B3 outdrives number 81008. I haven't assembled a Losi diff with these yet but the measurements I took so far seem to indicate they will interchange with Losi parts. But these outdrives have room for a second O-ring (where the Losi's only have a groove) to seal the diff. That might work.

BTW, the reason I have the associated outdrives to begin with is I wanted a center diff with a larger plastic spur gear than Losi makes. Associated makes a 48. It looks like the RC8 diff will fit a Losi though I haven't tried it yet so I am not sure. Of course the 3.0 doesn't really have room for the larger center diff gear than Losi makes - I was wanting it for a 2.0.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ta_man
I've been running Losi 1/8th scales for years and the diffs don't leak on me to the extent I have fluid coming out anywhere. I'm sure some fluid is coming out because when I rebuild diffs they are never as full as when I assemble them, but not enough leakage that fluid is visble on the outside.

It is possible you might have a bad case or gasket or seals, but it is also possible you are just not building them correctly, and that is hard for someone to diagnose over the internet.

For the gasket, you can try a trick people sometimes used on SCTE diffs: Get some of the blue silicone gasket sealer from a auto store, "dilute" is with a mineral solvent (I used lighter fluid) and paint the gasket on both sides. When it dries, you will have it coated with additional sealant the should help seal the diff.

If the problem is the outdrives, you might consider using Associated RC8B3 outdrives number 81008. I haven't assembled a Losi diff with these yet but the measurements I took so far seem to indicate they will interchange with Losi parts. But these outdrives have room for a second O-ring (where the Losi's only have a groove) to seal the diff. That might work.

BTW, the reason I have the associated outdrives to begin with is I wanted a center diff with a larger plastic spur gear than Losi makes. Associated makes a 48. It looks like the RC8 diff will fit a Losi though I haven't tried it yet so I am not sure. Of course the 3.0 doesn't really have room for the larger center diff gear than Losi makes - I was wanting it for a 2.0.
Wait so what should I spray ontop the gasket?
Old 07-08-2016, 08:35 PM
Tech Champion

Wait so what should I spray ontop the gasket?
Not spray. Paint with a small brush.

Get this or something similar: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

Then put some on a non-porous surface, mix in mineral solvent until it is the consistency of thick paint, and paint one side of the gasket. When the stuff on the gasket is dry, do the other side.

Also, think about why you might be having this problem when the great majority of others with this car do not.
Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I chewed up the plastic spur and ordered the metal one, LOSA 3552. AMain is out of them, but EBay has plenty.Is there a way to make the shocks plusher, and not rebound so hard? My rear springs seem to be too stiff compared to the front. I really do not want to do the forward battery mod, but the local fast guys have, or moved on to the 4.0!
Old 07-10-2016, 01:41 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ta_man
Not spray. Paint with a small brush.

Get this or something similar: https://www.permatex.com/products/ga...-gasket-maker/

Then put some on a non-porous surface, mix in mineral solvent until it is the consistency of thick paint, and paint one side of the gasket. When the stuff on the gasket is dry, do the other side.

Also, think about why you might be having this problem when the great majority of others with this car do not.
So first of all are we talking about that blue marker that's at the top right?
Secondly I've never had a problem with a diff leaking before problem 50+ times as I know what i am doing/

Only think I can think of is running the 5000 Mugen oil in he center that might. W too thin
Old 07-11-2016, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

So first of all are we talking about that blue marker that's at the top right?
Secondly I've never had a problem with a diff leaking before problem 50+ times as I know what i am doing/

Only think I can think of is running the 5000 Mugen oil in he center that might. W too thin
Well, if you've build that many with no problems, one would begin to suspect a bad case.

I see no reason 5K Mugen oil would be too thin - I run 2K in my truggy rear diff and it is the same diff case.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.