R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #1096
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Just want to say thanks to tyler jones and his dad randy for the setup tips this week. Car is even better then before!
Old 12-13-2013, 02:04 PM   #1097
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpedaccord View Post
It will mount but not without issues. You will need the new droop screws or the old ones will quickly tear up your chassis. But the new screws only fit the new arms. And the new arms only work with the new uprights. And the new uprights only work with the new spindles....starting to see why everybody is saying to just get the whole kit? I didn't even mention the center bones. No way your gonna be anywhere near $150. Just the chassis and body is about $130, then you need motor mounts, batt tray, servo mount, etc....

The 2.0 is a great car. If your on a budget, then just get the new shocks and standoffs. That will help a lot more than the chassis.
Or he can wait for the BCE chassis and hopefully it does not have the new droop spots...
He can always just ask on that thread.
Also, find it hard to believe that the new droop screws will not work on the 2.0 arms... even if it means breaking out the Dremel.
Plus, I think the new layout and torsion flex is a huge upgrade over the 2.0 and can be a huge improvement with a front droop mod and would take that over the new shocks.

I say get an answer on the BCE thread on the droop area for their chassis and if going to be the same as stock then be prepared to tackle the new droop screws on 2.0 arms. No big deal and be happy with what you can afford and what you want to do!

Alpha-RC.com/RcRenew.com/TritonRC.com
VPProUSA.com/UpGrade-RC.com/KalGard.com
Green-Gorilla.com

Last edited by KingdomRacer; 12-13-2013 at 02:28 PM.
KingdomRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:29 PM   #1098
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Don't stop there with the dremel! You could hack and inch off both sides of the 2.0 chassis and slap a 3.0 body on it!
pimpedaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #1099
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimpedaccord View Post
Don't stop there with the dremel! You could hack and inch off both sides of the 2.0 chassis and slap a 3.0 body on it!
It is always surprising what can be accomplished with a Dremel

Alpha-RC.com/RcRenew.com/TritonRC.com
VPProUSA.com/UpGrade-RC.com/KalGard.com
Green-Gorilla.com
KingdomRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #1100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonR/C View Post
Just want to say thanks to tyler jones and his dad randy for the setup tips this week. Car is even better then before!
Glad it helped!! ALWAYS glad to help any racer no matter the brand either. Ask me to watch your car for a pack and I will make some suggestions. I don't bite and will NOT lie to you like we've had done to us this year with some 2wd stuff.
Old 12-15-2013, 09:32 AM   #1101
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Does the Losi 45t metal spur gear work on the 8ight-3.0e? Figured it would but wanted to ask before ordering.
kcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #1102
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
Does the Losi 45t metal spur gear work on the 8ight-3.0e? Figured it would but wanted to ask before ordering.
yes it will
akshayp14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #1103
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

I agree Jason/Rc. Randy Jones and Mike Weatherholt are a real asset to the TLR team as these 2 guys will do anything to help a fellow racer and unlike some other sponsored guys are not afraid to give you Tyler's or Collin's setup as they let the boys driving speak for itself. These 2 guys have helped me tremendously this year and I can not thank them enough.
JoeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #1104
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I third that!!!!!! Randy Jones and Mike Weatherholt are some awesome guys and glad I've had the chances to race with their boys. Really good group of guys, always willing to help you out with some info and set up tips.
Indiana RC Racing -> www.facebook.com/groups/318194191597049/
TimMo846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #1105
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I raced my 8ight for the first time yesterday. I was fairly impressed at how the car wasn't tire dependent and how straight up fast it was!

There is one thing that nobody has told me...

Those plastic spur gears absolutely SUCK! I stripped one in the second qualifier yesterday. I figured it was just improper mesh. Replaced it, then reset mesh. 6 minutes into the main chasing the leaders around and it stripped again. All of the teeth perfectly sheared off.

You'd honestly think after all of these years Losi has had an electric car (this one also having a 700$ price tag) that they could design a plastic spur gear. You'd also think as well that Losi would make arms that didn't require reaming with the holes actually lined up out of the packaging!

But other than that, the car is pretty good.
slashracer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #1106
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashracer111 View Post
I raced my 8ight for the first time yesterday. I was fairly impressed at how the car wasn't tire dependent and how straight up fast it was!

Those plastic spur gears absolutely SUCK! I stripped one in the second qualifier yesterday. I figured it was just improper mesh. Replaced it, then reset mesh. 6 minutes into the main chasing the leaders around and it stripped again. All of the teeth perfectly sheared off.

You'd honestly think after all of these years Losi has had an electric car (this one also having a 700$ price tag) that they could design a plastic spur gear. You'd also think as well that Losi would make arms that didn't require reaming with the holes actually lined up out of the packaging!

I've only stripped one out so far, after about 15 races, and that was due to my motor coming of the mount. I do agree about the arms and having to file them out a little, but not everything is perfect. lol. I know that there was a issue with the 2.0 and it stripping out spur gears like crazy, mainly due to the mesh coming undone. Might be something loose and causing you to strip out your gears.
Indiana RC Racing -> www.facebook.com/groups/318194191597049/
TimMo846 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #1107
Tech Adept

Default Shorty 4S Battery

Hi all,

I bought some Spec Point Concepts 4S shorty packs, they are great. ~420 grams, 4500mAh, 70C.

Great for racing your 3.0E Indoor's.

Check em out on their website if your interested.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #1108
Tech Initiate

I bought my 3.0 the first week they were available and have been racing it 1 or 2 times a week since then on the original plastic spur. Tekin rx8 and t8 2050
sam1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #1109
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashracer111 View Post

Were you racing inside or outside? Only time we stripped a spur gear was outside. Tracks around here are hard on spur gears for some reason when running outside. Tyler's old 3.0E had original in it when sold with a ton of packs thru it. One trick I do to make sure the motor doesn't move is I drill and tap the mount and run a set screw as a secondary holding point.

The arms have been brought up to the head honchos. Hopefully there is something they can do to fix it for all of us.

Thanks for all the good words too guys!! Mike and I try our best to help everyone. We do test things and not tell everyone right away till we know it's gonna work and then we share. But, never flat lie about setups or some other things!!
Old 12-15-2013, 07:31 PM   #1110
Tech Initiate

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron_buran View Post
Hi all,

I bought some Spec Point Concepts 4S shorty packs, they are great. ~420 grams, 4500mAh, 70C.

Great for racing your 3.0E Indoor's.

Check em out on their website if your interested.
Sooo...how much REAL WORLD run time do you get out of a 4500mAh battery compared to the 6400's I'm running now? Especially since I just installed the new Viper VF8 2100 motor.

The SPC's are almost 6 ounces lighter than my Orion Carbon's - 14.8 vs 20.1 ounces.

That's a pretty significant diet for my 8ight 3.0!

Robert Conner
Omaha, Nebraska
Spektrum DX3R Control / S6040 Servos / SR3001 Receivers
AKA 2WD and 4WD Tires
bluegroovelosi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-buggy, eight 3.0, losi, spur gear