R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-08-2016, 07:04 PM   #3586
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Would moving up to the 45 tooth spur give me more options?
Not really a 15/45 probably would mesh the best. Once you find a gearing you like you will stick with it. My favorite is a 14/43. You might want to explore a steel 45t spur for extra durability.
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #3587
Tech Apprentice

I was just reading about metal vs. plastic.

Also looking at the mod 1 spur gear with the steel center insert, which allows for easy removal of the spur gear.

Is a 15/45 more torquey or top end than a 14/43? I need a gear chart, and accurate diff. ratios of the Losi in stock format so I can compare...
pdxrealtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:38 PM   #3588
Tech Apprentice

Does this sheet equate out the same as a 3.0 ?
Attached Thumbnails
TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD-losi-pinion-spur-gear-info.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 05:18 AM   #3589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I use a plastic spur in my 2.0T for sound. The metal is quite loud. If I was only racing it on a track, I would go with metal for durability, but bebopping around the neighborhood I prefer plastic. My neighbors thank me I'm sure lol. Currently running Castle 2200/MM with 45/17. But I might drop down a tooth or so to scrub speed off. Generally smaller pinion/ bigger spur gives you more torque= less speed. I would probably go to a 15T pinion, maybe even a 14T on a track, especially if it was a 1/10th track.
spookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #3590
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookie View Post
I use a plastic spur in my 2.0T for sound. The metal is quite loud. If I was only racing it on a track, I would go with metal for durability, but bebopping around the neighborhood I prefer plastic. My neighbors thank me I'm sure lol. Currently running Castle 2200/MM with 45/17. But I might drop down a tooth or so to scrub speed off. Generally smaller pinion/ bigger spur gives you more torque= less speed. I would probably go to a 15T pinion, maybe even a 14T on a track, especially if it was a 1/10th track.
Does the CC 2200/esc/4s combo offer enough power to keep the same acceleration on a 17t pinion as a 15t pinion?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:17 PM   #3591
Tech Apprentice

Just ordered the 45 metal spur, Novak pinion 3 pack (15-16-17), shock boots, and castle link quick connect.

Thx for all the advice. I also picked up a castle link card from my LHS.

FWIW I started my order on Amain but they were out of stock on one spur gear so I had to look elsewhere. I came across Power Hobbies and the exact same order was just over 20.00 cheaper!!!! THat's a decent savings! On top of that I called them up to verify my order would be here by a certain date and they confirmed it would be AND gave me free shipping because it was my first order.
Old 02-09-2016, 03:04 PM   #3592
Tech Master

If you are going to run a metal spur, you need hardened pinions. A non hardened one, will last about ten minutes before all the teeth are gone.

Or you can use non hardened on a nylon spur.
Losi LOSA3562 45T Spur Gear Plastic 8ight E 2.0 8ight E 4wd

All the losi 8 variants interchange.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...A3562&_sacat=0
Old 02-09-2016, 03:19 PM   #3593
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
If you are going to run a metal spur, you need hardened pinions. A non hardened one, will last about ten minutes before all the teeth are gone.

Or you can use non hardened on a nylon spur.
Losi LOSA3562 45T Spur Gear Plastic 8ight E 2.0 8ight E 4wd

All the losi 8 variants interchange.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...A3562&_sacat=0
Thanks... you had me nervous for a second. The Novaks are hardened... http://teamnovak.com/shop/index.php?...vib5rpbo5k23v6
Old 02-09-2016, 04:12 PM   #3594
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxrealtor View Post
Thanks... you had me nervous for a second. The Novaks are hardened... http://teamnovak.com/shop/index.php?...vib5rpbo5k23v6
Good deal. Always good to go with hardened in any case. I like Novak's, good quality. Be careful when you change you're spur, that you don't spill to much of the dif fluid unless you have more to top it off. If you're changing from plastic to steel, you will need to remove the plate under the plastic spur gear.
When you pull off the dif spur side, put it spider gear side down on a towel and the spider gear will slide off the output shaft on it own. You won't usually get a gasket with the new metal spur, so you'll have to reuse the old one if it's good or replace it if it's torn.

Reassemble and make sure the mesh inside the dif feels smooth. Remesh the mtr and pinion and go try it.
Old 02-10-2016, 10:20 AM   #3595
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Good deal. Always good to go with hardened in any case. I like Novak's, good quality. Be careful when you change you're spur, that you don't spill to much of the dif fluid unless you have more to top it off. If you're changing from plastic to steel, you will need to remove the plate under the plastic spur gear.
When you pull off the dif spur side, put it spider gear side down on a towel and the spider gear will slide off the output shaft on it own. You won't usually get a gasket with the new metal spur, so you'll have to reuse the old one if it's good or replace it if it's torn.

Reassemble and make sure the mesh inside the dif feels smooth. Remesh the mtr and pinion and go try it.
Thx for the tips! Will do...
Old 02-17-2016, 04:46 PM   #3596
Tech Initiate

Default First Build - Does this front diff sound right? (TLR 3.0)

Could you all view this short video clip and see if this front differential sounds correct.

(This is the front diff to a TLR 8ighty 3.0 Buggy. It is very smooth, but I didnt think it would be that noisey. I put the black grease on the both gears inside)

https://youtu.be/Bz1iJBqyAcw
dnadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM   #3597
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnadrifter View Post
Could you all view this short video clip and see if this front differential sounds correct.

(This is the front diff to a TLR 8ighty 3.0 Buggy. It is very smooth, but I didnt think it would be that noisey. I put the black grease on the both gears inside)

https://youtu.be/Bz1iJBqyAcw
Yeah, it's probably just fine. Under load it won't sound like that.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:49 PM   #3598
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gticlay View Post
Yeah, it's probably just fine. Under load it won't sound like that.
Okay. Thanks. Appreciate you watching the video and responding.
dnadrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 11:17 PM   #3599
Tech Rookie

Default Losi 3.0 e buggy 45t Spur gear wont fit

Just stripped the stock spur gear and bought the 45 tooth losi spur gear and now the spur catches on the chassis. They only thing I can thing is to put spacers underneath the metal center diff bracket to elevate it so it doesnt rub or cut the chassis. I really do not want to cut the chassis if possible. Am I just missing something super obvious?
Cambria05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 04:28 AM   #3600
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambria05 View Post
Just stripped the stock spur gear and bought the 45 tooth losi spur gear and now the spur catches on the chassis. They only thing I can thing is to put spacers underneath the metal center diff bracket to elevate it so it doesnt rub or cut the chassis. I really do not want to cut the chassis if possible. Am I just missing something super obvious?
Does the Center diff maybe need shimmed forward or back? It might be catching the edge of the machined slot that is in the chassis. Another option I have seen people run is run a spacer (LFR makes one) under the diff. My dad was running one on his 8ight-t 3.0 electric car so he could run a 48T steel spur. Only issues is you will have a slightly higher center of gravity.
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-buggy, eight 3.0, losi, spur gear