R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #3451
Tech Regular

Ok so I need some advice on battery layouts/configurations...

This is what i have:

Lipo choice A) - Positioned full forward and to the center

- Size:136.96 * 42.51 * 44.9mm (L * W * H)
- Weight: 530g

Lipo choice B) Positioned full forward either standing up and closer to the center or lying flat in the width of the tray and spaced full forward

-Size: 114 * 33 * 52mm (L * W * H)
-Weight: 426g

Lipo choice C) Positioned full forward and to the center

-Size 132 * 31 * 39mm (L * W * H)
-Weight: 400g

firstly ive been playing around with the battery in the rear and with the forward tray mod and ive noticed that the car is a lot more predictable with more weight in the rear (A- 530g) but with the tray forward the car overall seemed to enjoy the lightweight pack (B- 426g), it seemed more direct but also very predictable, it did also turn better overall in the very tight sections when compared to the stock tray location, but initially i felt like it had lost mid corner steering (it would just under-steer for no reason, very mildly) and then just changed the kick-up from 1 up's all round to 1 up in the front and 1 down in the rear and it seemed a bit better...

i cant really decide on whether i prefer the battery tray forward or in the stock position yet but what i did notice was a huge difference when using lipo B and positioning it either standing up or lying down...

the attached picture is how the battery looks when it is lying down...its wide and takes up the entire width of the tray but it's only 114mm in length so its pretty short...the other way i have tried it recently is standing it upright, full forward and completely to the center which leaves a rather large gap, but it seems to corner a lot better this way which i find surprising...

1) So my first question is if I'm using lipo B, would lying it flat (33mm height) and full forward so as to keep the weight as low as possible but spread out width-wise not be as effective as lying it upright (52mm height) , full forward and completely towards the center in an effort to keep the weight more to the center at the expense of the lipo sitting a bit higher??

2) second question...is a lighter a battery setup always better ito handling or does it depend on things like the bite of the track, etc? (i've been so surprised that the 530g battery was allowing me to be a lot more consistent, low bite and stock tray position)

Sorry about the ramble, just wanted to get in as much info as a could, i would really appreciate anyone's thoughts, comments and even just some info on the weights and dimensions of batteries that you are using and how you position them in the tray and why...

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD-img_1133.jpg  
akshayp14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #3452
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

For the people that are running the truggy spindle carriers, how are you spacing them in the arm?
goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:51 AM   #3453
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy View Post
For the people that are running the truggy spindle carriers, how are you spacing them in the arm?
The spindle is generally spaced forward
Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 PM   #3454
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have a losi 8ight E truggy that keeps stripping the rear gears and sometimes the front,even after shimming pretty tight Im looking to just buy complete new differentials, I see a bunch for sale on ebay,is the 3.0 a tighter meshing diff,or do they need shimed freq also?
I hear the buggy gear ratio doesnt have as much problems,looks like buggy pin gear is 13 front and back and truggy is 10 and 11 pin,is the ring gear same size? buggy diffs seem to be much cheaper on ebay,can those be run in a truggy and correct with a diff size spur gear? Are there any differences on the Elec and nitro diffs?
ResultsRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 03:24 PM   #3455
Tech Initiate

Has any body tried the clutch kit yet and if so what kind of luck are u having with it? Is it good, bad, notice any thing different? Just picked one up and waiting to install it
Farmboy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 11:54 AM   #3456
Tech Rookie

Ok, So I have a newb question.
I just picked up a used 8 3.0 with a RX8 Gen2, SMC 1900KV and a toasted 4s, Im looking to buddy up two 2s lipo batteries together to make the 4s configuration.
The reason is I have two SCTE's and a axial crawler and still want to be able to use the batteries for my other cars and not just one designated battery for my 8
I will be doing mostly bashing and some track time.

What would be a good recommendation for the 2s batteries or am I just wasting my time and need to buy a 4s??

Last edited by TLR79; 09-25-2015 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added info
TLR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 02:34 PM   #3457
Tech Apprentice

Default Smallest spur gear for Losi 8ight-e

What is the smallest spur gear for the losi 8ight-e?
I found the 43t plastic spur. Will the Losb3436 40T spur fit? (Ten-SCTE)
TopAs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 03:51 PM   #3458
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLR79 View Post
Ok, So I have a newb question.
I just picked up a used 8 3.0 with a RX8 Gen2, SMC 1900KV and a toasted 4s, Im looking to buddy up two 2s lipo batteries together to make the 4s configuration.
The reason is I have two SCTE's and a axial crawler and still want to be able to use the batteries for my other cars and not just one designated battery for my 8
I will be doing mostly bashing and some track time.

What would be a good recommendation for the 2s batteries or am I just wasting my time and need to buy a 4s??
I'm running two 5K mah 2S's stacked on edge in my 2.0. Runs great. I stacked them on edge because their lower that way, than laying flat. I have the connectors down next to the batteries. Bodies fit super tight on the 8's. The JConcepts Illusion body, sick body btw for 2.0, has a higher side, so you can run taller batteries.

Last edited by spookie; 09-25-2015 at 04:13 PM.
spookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 09:24 PM   #3459
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookie View Post
I'm running two 5K mah 2S's stacked on edge in my 2.0. Runs great. I stacked them on edge because their lower that way, than laying flat. I have the connectors down next to the batteries. Bodies fit super tight on the 8's. The JConcepts Illusion body, sick body btw for 2.0, has a higher side, so you can run taller batteries.
Thank you spookie!
I tried one last time to chg the 4s and well I had my first lipo Fire!!🔥🔥🔥🔥
Buy I did get a super deal on the Jconcepts silencer body.
I'm going to order some 2s 5ks
TLR79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #3460
Tech Master

I'm the same way, I have sct's and had batteries from my 3908 E-Maxx, so I was determined to use them lol. I ran my battery wires and connectors under the battery straps to keep them snugged up on the side.

I know this is a 3.0 thread, but can the 3.0 dogbone wheel setup be used on a 2.0? I need to replace the front driveshafts and see a great deal on the front and rear dogbone 3.0 shafts and wheel cups/stubs. If they'll fit, I'll just swap over to that setup. I'm already running 15 degree caster setup if it matters. Thanks ahead of time.
Old 09-26-2015, 07:41 PM   #3461
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by spookie View Post
I'm the same way, I have sct's and had batteries from my 3908 E-Maxx, so I was determined to use them lol. I ran my battery wires and connectors under the battery straps to keep them snugged up on the side.

I know this is a 3.0 thread, but can the 3.0 dogbone wheel setup be used on a 2.0? I need to replace the front driveshafts and see a great deal on the front and rear dogbone 3.0 shafts and wheel cups/stubs. If they'll fit, I'll just swap over to that setup. I'm already running 15 degree caster setup if it matters. Thanks ahead of time.
you can but you will need the nitro 3.0 dogbones:

1x TLR242001 - rear
1x TLR242002 - frnt
2x TLR242003 - coupler outdrive
Old 09-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #3462
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshayp14 View Post
you can but you will need the nitro 3.0 dogbones:

1x TLR242001 - rear
1x TLR242002 - frnt
2x TLR242003 - coupler outdrive
Thanks . I ordered what I think I need for the wheel shafts, they should be here later this week. If this works out, I may change the center shafts to dogbones as well. I'm trying to take advantage of some of the newer parts in an older platform.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:30 PM   #3463
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I am looking to try something different. I currently run a MBX7r and am happy but have been thinking about trying out the 3.0e. Anyone make that switch and can give me some comparison info?
Thanks,
E
Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 AM   #3464
Tech Adept

I didn't switch but my best friend drives MBX7r and we raced together the whole season.
About build quality: Losi gets much more sloopy within time but I haven't broke a single part for the whole season. He broke a few sets of front arms, rear arms, diff mounting...
About driving: Losi flies sooooo much better on big fast tracks with long jumps. Amazing balance comparing to Mugen. But in sharp slow corners it gets unpredictable sometimes and it's not the setup problem. I'm sure you'll be much more consistent with Mugen unless you're a very experienced driver.

I was also looking for something different and will try with the new EB48.3
stanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:15 PM   #3465
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)
Questions?? Any input on this??

http://www.amainhobbies.com/rc-cars-...fci202/p423772
X Factory "Infinity" Carbon Fiber TLR 8IGHT 3.0 Front & Rear Arm Stiffener Set

☆TLR 22B 3.0 MM ☆ 22T 2.0 MM ☆22B 2.0 MM ☆22-4 ☆ SCTE 2.0☆ ☆
XXXDad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags