Search
Like Tree1Likes

TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaktis
.. at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot.. when you press down on the buggy, should it return to where it was, or is it normal for it to return only half-way?

Normal (baring any bind in rod ends), Pushing it down isn't the way to check the Ride height tho, Dropping from 8-10" in a "Consistent" manner is however.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

So nobody knows of anything else other than what has the Losi name on it that will work? I guess I'll take a look at the 2.0 stuff on line and order something.

Yesterday after working on this problem most of the previous night I got to the track and the suspension was great. Made a few laps with no trouble in warm up. Went out for the race and 3 or 4 laps in I had 1/2 inch clearance. I have been racing for almost 5 years and this is my first buggy and second Losi. I have had 4 different people try to help me on this. They say squeeze them. I say I have many times. I tell them to try and they do. And then they return to sticking again. I tried using hot water and dunking them in cold after so they will not return to the original shape. They do. Used a heat gun on them, putting them in cold water after squeezing them. Same thing. I'm getting fed up with this. So I left the track yesterday during a weekend long race and went to the sort of Hobby shop nearby and picked up something that I thought might work. It didn't.

Does anybody in the aftermarket make anything that might solve this ?
Old 05-03-2015, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

make sure when the links are mounted on the car they aren't hitting the gearbox. I had to grind down the box to get it to clear. I thought something else was binding but that was it.
Old 05-03-2015, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Matthew Bailey
make sure when the links are mounted on the car they aren't hitting the gearbox. I had to grind down the box to get it to clear. I thought something else was binding but that was it.
I'll give that a try, I never checked that, but like I said they do loosen but then tighten up. The only thing I can figure is the composition of the end but will look at that.

PS I have also reamed the arms, changed and polished the pins
Old 05-04-2015, 02:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Dan.J
No not normal, should return to the ride height you set. Squeeze the plastic rod ends like has been being talked about to free it up, 9 out of 10 times that is the issue with a new kit. TLR, love the buggy but sure seem's alot of folks having binding issues. Easy fix for guys in the know but big problem for those that are not. I'll bet a bunch of ill handling 8ights out there with guys scratching there heads.
Originally Posted by cjtamu
Little confused about what you're asking. What DanJ said is correct. But "normal" ride height is actually where the buggy settles when pushed down on or dropped on the table from 6" or so. Are you talking about just setting the buggy down, then pushing on i? If that's the case it probably won't come back to the same height it started at. wherever it settles after you push on it should be normal ride height, and it should come back to the same height every time. If it doesn't then you might have a binding issue.
Originally Posted by Integra
Normal (baring any bind in rod ends), Pushing it down isn't the way to check the Ride height tho, Dropping from 8-10" in a "Consistent" manner is however.

Cool, thanks for that folks!
Old 05-04-2015, 02:18 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by buster8787
I'll give that a try, I never checked that, but like I said they do loosen but then tighten up. The only thing I can figure is the composition of the end but will look at that.

I went through the exact same.
I ended up taking them off (i.e. unmounting the ball), put some rag over them and with a set of pliers squeezed the crap out of them (i.e. Giving as much force with standard pliers as I could), starting at one point and moving around.
They have consistently moved freely since and handles like it's on rails....
Old 05-04-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

So nobody knows of anything else other than what has the Losi name on it that will work? I guess I'll take a look at the 2.0 stuff on line and order something.

Yesterday after working on this problem most of the previous night I got to the track and the suspension was great. Made a few laps with no trouble in warm up. Went out for the race and 3 or 4 laps in I had 1/2 inch clearance. I have been racing for almost 5 years and this is my first buggy and second Losi. I have had 4 different people try to help me on this. They say squeeze them. I say I have many times. I tell them to try and they do. And then they return to sticking again. I tried using hot water and dunking them in cold after so they will not return to the original shape. They do. Used a heat gun on them, putting them in cold water after squeezing them. Same thing. I'm getting fed up with this. So I left the track yesterday during a weekend long race and went to the sort of Hobby shop nearby and picked up something that I thought might work. It didn't.

It would take a little measuring but any end link that can thread on the Losi links should be fine. I would look for x ray plastic bits , they were the best parts I ever owned. OR ... Try polishing the ball inserts themselves . Put them on a screw and put it in a drill press and spin it . Start with 1200 grit paper and end with rubbing compound . A few thousandths off those ball inserts will probably get you what you want
Old 05-04-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kaktis
.. at the risk of sounding like a complete idiot.. when you press down on the buggy, should it return to where it was, or is it normal for it to return only half-way?
Well are starting with shocks full extended with full drop? If so normal, it should be returning at least 27 mm from the ground.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:43 AM
Tech Regular

Personally I think you should start over again with new rod ends. Possibly all the heating and cooling may have messed them up for good. It is a bit of a pain but you should be able to assemble a set then take a good set of pliers squeeze them (with balls installed) once lengthwise and then repeat again sideways to free the balls, let them set overnight check them the next day and repeat again on the ones that have tightened back up.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Before you give up and take them off, take a small pair of channel lock type pliers and smash them until they just about will fall off the ball. guaranteed to work or your money back haha
Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Trugga
I went through the exact same.
I ended up taking them off (i.e. unmounting the ball), put some rag over them and with a set of pliers squeezed the crap out of them (i.e. Giving as much force with standard pliers as I could), starting at one point and moving around.
They have consistently moved freely since and handles like it's on rails....
I've done this atleast 15 times even with a heat gun and boiling water. I think they are fine, take it to the track and within 4 laps I have 1/2 in chassis height. I'm stumped and the only thing I can think of is replacement
Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I've done this atleast 15 times even with a heat gun and boiling water. I think they are fine, take it to the track and within 4 laps I have 1/2 in chassis height. I'm stumped and the only thing I can think of is replacement
I'm having the same problem with mine . I bought new ends if it don't work I'm going with something else . This is ridiculous to have to do this to a race kit . Losi dropped the ball with this how long has this kit been out and its still messed up ?
Old 05-04-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Initiate

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...ress-3551.html

This is what I used for the ends. Kinda overkill, but I had it. Also makes snapping in and out the links super easy.

I also had to ream the Front and ream Arms (Just used a drill bit) to get them and now the suspension is super free and no binding at all.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mine is also giving me a fit....after pressing down on the front and rear it never rebounds to normal ride height. Did the same recommended procedures and still no luck. Only happens to my ebuggy. Nitro is spot on but the ebuggy is a pain in the @$$!!!
Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Tech Regular

im having no luck freeing up the front myself....Its gotten annoying.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.