R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #3166
Tech Fanatic

Ok guys, I have a suspension on a Losi 8eight e 3.0 rtr which will not rebound. Press down on the car and it will rebound about 1/2 inch and that is all. I have squeezed the turnbuckle ends after using a hairdryer on them and even dipped them in boiling water atleast 4 times and they will not loosen up. Is my next step reaming them? Or just all around replacing them? Now the hinge pins seem especially stiff to move. Should these move freely? Any help would be great.
Anderson Zap Ties
- overkill is a good thing -
buster8787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:20 PM   #3167
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by buster8787 View Post
Ok guys, I have a suspension on a Losi 8eight e 3.0 rtr which will not rebound. Press down on the car and it will rebound about 1/2 inch and that is all. I have squeezed the turnbuckle ends after using a hairdryer on them and even dipped them in boiling water atleast 4 times and they will not loosen up. Is my next step reaming them? Or just all around replacing them? Now the hinge pins seem especially stiff to move. Should these move freely? Any help would be great.
Hinge pins should be free, if not get a reamer of the same size and ream out the arms, also use mothers to polish the pins. Don't boil or use a hair drier on the ball cups, simply use a pair of pliers to squeeze the cups with them connected to the ball. Grip the cup with the pliers, over the ball and squeeze the handle several times, 5 or 6, firmly and the cup WILL loosen up. It doesn't matter what brand car it is, this will work every time. If you try and it didnt, you simply didn't squeeze the cup hard enough to stretch it. In the end all that is taking place is a slight stretching of the plastic.

Last edited by Tim Garland; 04-19-2015 at 03:42 PM.
Tim Garland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #3168
Tech Fanatic

It's definitely the hinge pins then. thanx for the reply
Anderson Zap Ties
Old 04-19-2015, 04:04 PM   #3169
Tech Elite

Quote:
No problem, if you can't twist the turnbuckle by hand just get rough with the pliers haha
Old 04-19-2015, 04:47 PM   #3170
Tech Elite

Quote:
Also can be shock shaft, dirty shock oil, and sway bar to tight. You can disconnect all to isolate the problem.
Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #3171
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Regarding the truggy caster blocks, where is the best place to shim them? In the center?
What is the best shims to get for this. Thanks

Also will this mod give me more off power steering ? Just looking for s little bit more. Thanks.

Last edited by Blitzrockey; 04-19-2015 at 09:39 PM.
Blitzrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 07:16 PM   #3172
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Garland View Post
No problem, if you can't twist the turnbuckle by hand just get rough with the pliers haha
I was twisting so hard last night that the metal was popping out
Anderson Zap Ties
Old 04-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #3173
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

What nut driver have you found that works with the 4-40 nut on the shock cap? All the ones I have are to large of a diameter to fit between the cap and the nut.
seanhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #3174
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanhawk View Post
What nut driver have you found that works with the 4-40 nut on the shock cap? All the ones I have are to large of a diameter to fit between the cap and the nut.
I use dynamite nut driver set for this, it has two nut drivers I can use in its 5pc set, one for all the 40-4 nuts and one for those who holds shock mounts.
janisdaubergs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 02:11 AM   #3175
Tech Rookie

Hi folks,

Last time out with my 8ight-E 3.0 RTR, I cranked the AVC up & at low speed, i.e. not even walking pace, the servo would pull full tilt to the left, with no steering input from me.

This spooked me enough to not attempt to drive with AVC sensitivity beyond minimum, as I didn't want this randomly happening at speed.

So my question is, is this normal AVC operation for low speed use?
I know the benefits are most felt at high speed, but is this sounding like a fault, or nothing to worry about.
The car's fantastic with AVC turned right down, so won't miss it terribly..

Cheers
K
kaktis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 AM   #3176
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Regarding the truggy caster blocks, where is the best place to shim them? In the center?
What is the best shims to get for this. Thanks

Also will this mod give me more off power steering ? Just looking for s little bit more. Thanks.
Shim it all the way forward. I put a bearing from the SCTE rack in behind the caster. Switch the screws, put the long screw through the back of the caster. I would add about 2-3mm of droop as it puts the axle at a different height. Check your ride height as well. Indoors it seemed to give more overall steering. I can't tell outdoors if it will be the way to go or not.
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 06:27 PM   #3177
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaktis View Post
Hi folks,

Last time out with my 8ight-E 3.0 RTR, I cranked the AVC up & at low speed, i.e. not even walking pace, the servo would pull full tilt to the left, with no steering input from me.

This spooked me enough to not attempt to drive with AVC sensitivity beyond minimum, as I didn't want this randomly happening at speed.

So my question is, is this normal AVC operation for low speed use?
I know the benefits are most felt at high speed, but is this sounding like a fault, or nothing to worry about.
The car's fantastic with AVC turned right down, so won't miss it terribly..

Cheers
K

I haven't had this problem. I generally turn everything on and let it sit for a few seconds so the AVC can calibrate.
Anderson Zap Ties
Old 04-20-2015, 07:01 PM   #3178
Tech Rookie

Quote:
I haven't had this problem. I generally turn everything on and let it sit for a few seconds so the AVC can calibrate.
Oops.. yep, that could well be the problem.. thanks for that, much appreciated!
kaktis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #3179
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog9 View Post
Shim it all the way forward. I put a bearing from the SCTE rack in behind the caster. Switch the screws, put the long screw through the back of the caster. I would add about 2-3mm of droop as it puts the axle at a different height. Check your ride height as well. Indoors it seemed to give more overall steering. I can't tell outdoors if it will be the way to go or not.
Ill see how she works, thanks for the info. I actualy took it out today again, just getting used to the car as I had a serpent before. This has a lot of corner speed. And I just have to drive it a bit different. Once I did that it started to handle a lot better and actualy had a lot of steering on and off power. I have the weight kit coming also and will try that. Im running the drake outdoor setup with diffs at 5-5-3. Any other tips to maybe get a bit more steering? I think the weights may help?
Blitzrockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2015, 04:12 AM   #3180
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzrockey View Post
Ill see how she works, thanks for the info. I actualy took it out today again, just getting used to the car as I had a serpent before. This has a lot of corner speed. And I just have to drive it a bit different. Once I did that it started to handle a lot better and actualy had a lot of steering on and off power. I have the weight kit coming also and will try that. Im running the drake outdoor setup with diffs at 5-5-3. Any other tips to maybe get a bit more steering? I think the weights may help?
I run the 40 gram weight, battery and esc flipped (so battery up front), green springs all around, and i run a trinity 6950 4s. I like the car heavy about 8.2lbs roughly.
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e-buggy, eight 3.0, losi, spur gear