R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-09-2015, 06:09 PM   #3001
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Differential help....please!

Hi.....just finished building this kit. First 1/8 scale and my first build in years since my B44...... inexperienced!

I followed the instructions perfectly, or as far as I can tell. Lol. I squeeze the trigger and the motor spins up, meshed to the pinion perfectly and it spins the center diff just fine.....fast. but VERY little power is getting to the wheels and it CRAWLS along very slowly.

Took out the center diff since I noticed a little oil seepage, cleaned it out, refilled since it looked a little low on oil.......zero wear on gears anywhere. Was literally the first time I drove it. Tightened everything up and zipped up the buggy. Same thing.....everything spins fast but the wheels. Lol. Just noisy and barely moves forward.

It's got to be one of the diffs. How can I figure out which diff may be the culprit. I'm sure it will be recommended I shim inside to make sure the gear teeth are meshing.......WHERE do I put the shims and which part # are the diff shims? There are so many little dam washers to choose from. I did countless searches and read a ton of pages in this thread....might just be easier to ask.

Thank you very very much!!
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:13 PM   #3002
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick lsp View Post
Looking for clean low use 8ight e 3.0. Anyone have one they want to part with?
Just built mine this weekend. Must have did something wrong because it barely moves. I strongly suspect I missed a shim in one of the diffs and gears aren't meshing enough.

Brand new, drove it maybe 2 feet on drive way. Lol. Might part with it. I'd keep esc and motor. Make an offer maybe I'd do it.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:17 PM   #3003
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblhelx View Post
Hi.....just finished building this kit. First 1/8 scale and my first build in years since my B44...... inexperienced!

I followed the instructions perfectly, or as far as I can tell. Lol. I squeeze the trigger and the motor spins up, meshed to the pinion perfectly and it spins the center diff just fine.....fast. but VERY little power is getting to the wheels and it CRAWLS along very slowly.

Took out the center diff since I noticed a little oil seepage, cleaned it out, refilled since it looked a little low on oil.......zero wear on gears anywhere. Was literally the first time I drove it. Tightened everything up and zipped up the buggy. Same thing.....everything spins fast but the wheels. Lol. Just noisy and barely moves forward.

It's got to be one of the diffs. How can I figure out which diff may be the culprit. I'm sure it will be recommended I shim inside to make sure the gear teeth are meshing.......WHERE do I put the shims and which part # are the diff shims? There are so many little dam washers to choose from. I did countless searches and read a ton of pages in this thread....might just be easier to ask.

Thank you very very much!!

EXTRA INFO: When I lift the rear, or the front, turn ONE wheel by hand, the opposite wheel doesn't move at all. Shouldn't it turn in the opposite direction as I hand turn the opposite wheel?

I dread needing to remove the front or rear diffs.....like a douche I used the tu e of red locktite that came with the kit. Didn't think of using bue....just thought I'd follow the kit as they are the pros that wrote the manual. Now I can't budge the screws! Broke an Allen key tip off in one already. Geeeeez.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 10:00 PM   #3004
Tech Addict
 
DiaRh34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Milan, Tennessee
Posts: 564
Send a message via AIM to DiaRh34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblhelx View Post
EXTRA INFO: When I lift the rear, or the front, turn ONE wheel by hand, the opposite wheel doesn't move at all. Shouldn't it turn in the opposite direction as I hand turn the opposite wheel?

I dread needing to remove the front or rear diffs.....like a douche I used the tu e of red locktite that came with the kit. Didn't think of using bue....just thought I'd follow the kit as they are the pros that wrote the manual. Now I can't budge the screws! Broke an Allen key tip off in one already. Geeeeez.
I would use a heatgun/blowdryer on the screws you used red on and go through and rebuild the front/rear diffs. Definitely sounds like you did something wrong building them. I've raced an 8ight for years and never used any type of thread lock on the diffs...
DiaRh34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:20 PM   #3005
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiaRh34 View Post
I would use a heatgun/blowdryer on the screws you used red on and go through and rebuild the front/rear diffs. Definitely sounds like you did something wrong building them. I've raced an 8ight for years and never used any type of thread lock on the diffs...
Yeah. I really hope I can get them out! Manual called for locktite. Dam it.

Obviously something is wrong but man I swear I built those EXACTLY how the manual stated it.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:27 AM   #3006
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,527
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblhelx View Post
Hi.....just finished building this kit. First 1/8 scale and my first build in years since my B44...... inexperienced!

I followed the instructions perfectly, or as far as I can tell. Lol. I squeeze the trigger and the motor spins up, meshed to the pinion perfectly and it spins the center diff just fine.....fast. but VERY little power is getting to the wheels and it CRAWLS along very slowly.

Took out the center diff since I noticed a little oil seepage, cleaned it out, refilled since it looked a little low on oil.......zero wear on gears anywhere. Was literally the first time I drove it. Tightened everything up and zipped up the buggy. Same thing.....everything spins fast but the wheels. Lol. Just noisy and barely moves forward.

It's got to be one of the diffs. How can I figure out which diff may be the culprit. I'm sure it will be recommended I shim inside to make sure the gear teeth are meshing.......WHERE do I put the shims and which part # are the diff shims? There are so many little dam washers to choose from. I did countless searches and read a ton of pages in this thread....might just be easier to ask.

Thank you very very much!!
The only thing I can think that you may have done is missed the flat on the front or rear center drive dog. These are the cups that go onto the front and rear pinion with a setscrew. If you missed the flats and setscrewed onto the round, the car wont move so great.
__________________
-Ryan Dunford
Horizon Hobby Spektrum Product Manager
TLR--Spektrum--Horizon Hobby--Tekin--Venom--Pro-Line--Sticky Kicks--Bradley FLD--ImagineIt Graphics--Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 09:32 AM   #3007
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
The only thing I can think that you may have done is missed the flat on the front or rear center drive dog. These are the cups that go onto the front and rear pinion with a setscrew. If you missed the flats and setscrewed onto the round, the car wont move so great.
Not a bad thought!! I mean I can't imagine not screwing in on the flat spot.....but maybe it wasn't tight enough and slipped a bit. I'll check asap.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 03:17 PM   #3008
Tech Elite
 
Brian Miskolczi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,583
Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)
Default

Anybody have two new sets of yellow TLR buggy wheels???? Looking to trade the two sets of whites I have for yellows. Shoot me a PM.
__________________
l TLR l OS SPEED l RADIOPOST l PROLINE l NITROTANE l HORIZON HOBBY l HOBBYWING/FALCON SEKIDO l VENOM l UPGRADE RC l SMC BATTERIES l PCDRC GRAFFIX l GMK SUPPLY l OGIO l 4C HOBBY SUPPLY l
Brian Miskolczi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 04:21 PM   #3009
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 24
Default questions

Hi I see some of you guys saying you read setups on other cars and you could tell they weren't racing ? Is there specific motor size for competition? Is there a disadvantage to running the 2650kv to the 2200kv ? If I was to go up to the local track to race what should I expect other drivers to be using for their motors and such?

TIA
BigRitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #3010
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 81
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Cab forward!


http://www.neobuggy.net/2015/03/10/t...-forward-body/
losi8_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:17 PM   #3011
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I'm a moron. Fixed my buggy. In both the front and rear diffs I forgot to put in the mother F-ing large gear that meshes with the little satellite gears. All better now......thing was wicked fast with the 2050 Tekin in it.....wheelies down my street.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #3012
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Rockville, MD
Posts: 5,058
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Miskolczi View Post
Anybody have two new sets of yellow TLR buggy wheels???? Looking to trade the two sets of whites I have for yellows. Shoot me a PM.
I think I have one set of yellows. You can have them Brian.
__________________
Steve Walter
Sweep Racing USA/ Speed Passion USA/ Karens Famous Cookies (Transporter)
SRW141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #3013
Tech Elite
 
Brian Miskolczi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3,583
Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)
Default

Thanks Steve!
__________________
l TLR l OS SPEED l RADIOPOST l PROLINE l NITROTANE l HORIZON HOBBY l HOBBYWING/FALCON SEKIDO l VENOM l UPGRADE RC l SMC BATTERIES l PCDRC GRAFFIX l GMK SUPPLY l OGIO l 4C HOBBY SUPPLY l
Brian Miskolczi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 09:44 AM   #3014
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 145
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default gearing opinion

So I have the stock 43T with a 15T pinion with Tekin 2050 motor using a Reedy 4s lipo 65C. Ok? No?

I just don't want to overheat but still be as fast as possible and last as long as I can.
dblhelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #3015
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Thunder Bay, Ontario
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Anyone know the dimensions of the lipo battery tray? I need to confirm that before buying batteries

Is it the same as the 8ight-E truggy conversion kit tray dimensions?
Mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
e-buggy, eight 3.0, losi, spur gear


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 2 (0 members and 2 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 06:16 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net