R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #2926
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEmm View Post
That body is so much better looking than the dorsal finned stock one. I'm not a fan of any of the aftermarket bodies aside from the LFR. Hopefully it's available soon.
Opinions vary. I think the cab forward bodies look dumb. About like a top fuel dragster would look with the driver right behind the front wheels. At least with the fin it doesn't appear as dumb looking to me.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 05:44 AM   #2927
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Opinions vary. I think the cab forward bodies look dumb. About like a top fuel dragster would look with the driver right behind the front wheels. At least with the fin it doesn't appear as dumb looking to me.
Totally agree...
im not a fan (understatement) of cab foward bodies myself but i think the fin is what actually makes it work. The stock body actually looks really good. (im looking at a freshly painted one as i type)
That aftermarket cab foward body looks heinous. It looks like a sunday morning cartoon version of a Toyota Tacoma with a tonneau cover.
.....Nothing wrong with a Tacoma...unless youre in the market for a off road buggy.Not a small sized pick up.
NickTheGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 06:47 AM   #2928
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey guys, I'm going to be ordering a 3.0 soon, what, if any other things will I need to go with it? Any springs, swaybars, anything like that that are necessary upgrades?
mxnickj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:12 AM   #2929
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

So how did Maifield get his battery tray to move this far forward? I checked my chassis last night and there are not extra holes for this.

Old 02-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #2930
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JourneyMan View Post
So how did Maifield get his battery tray to move this far forward? I checked my chassis last night and there are not extra holes for this.

I've seen quite a few pictures of Drake's car with the battery all the way up front too
Old 02-23-2015, 09:22 AM   #2931
Tech Master

How are they accomplishing this mod?
Old 02-23-2015, 09:35 AM   #2932
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
How are they accomplishing this mod?
Not all the mounting screws are used just use the ones that do line up (unless you want to drill and tap your own). The battery is still secure with only one strap width wise for me.
towertsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:12 PM   #2933
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEmm View Post
That body is so much better looking than the dorsal finned stock one. I'm not a fan of any of the aftermarket bodies aside from the LFR. Hopefully it's available soon.
I know looks are important but our bodies are created for function typically. The stock body has a very good balance of the amount of steering it gives you versus the amount of rear traction it provides. The new body is very aggressively leaned toward the steering aspect. Some of our drivers were interested in more steering so we gave them that.
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:13 PM   #2934
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post
I've seen quite a few pictures of Drake's car with the battery all the way up front too
Yeah, for the guys that primarily run their car on big outdoor tracks, they seem to like their battery up front. The indoor guys like it in the back. I use 2 shorties with the included brace in mine and so I can get the balance wherever I want it in the stock position.
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:20 PM   #2935
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by towertsk View Post
Not all the mounting screws are used just use the ones that do line up (unless you want to drill and tap your own). The battery is still secure with only one strap width wise for me.
I see... so that's why he has only one strap.

Dunford - I was working off of Maifields surf city ocrc setup, but my battery is currently in the rear position. This setup was to run on indoor clay at the end of the week, but I primarily run a true 1/8 track, outdoor. Looking for the best all around setup for weight distribution.

On SCTE I run the APE tray... but my esc is in front of the car-before the tray. Truck is dialed indoor and out... with your 1.0 base setup. Last time I raced it I finished 6th overall at Shortcourse Showdown.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 PM   #2936
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
I see... so that's why he has only one strap.

Dunford - I was working off of Maifields surf city ocrc setup, but my battery is currently in the rear position. This setup was to run on indoor clay at the end of the week, but I primarily run outdoor. Looking for the best all around setup.
From that picture, it looks like he cut the tray at the front leaving the rest mounted. you can take the front piece that was cut off and move that forward and use as a battery stop, but you'll only get one screw into it.
towertsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #2937
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by towertsk View Post
From that picture, it looks like he cut the tray at the front leaving the rest mounted. you can take the front piece that was cut off and move that forward and use as a battery stop, but you'll only get one screw into it.
Yeah not sure this is worth the trouble. I wish I could see some pics of how the tray was cut. Otherwise I may render my tray useless one week before a big race.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:09 PM   #2938
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Quote:
Yeah not sure this is worth the trouble. I wish I could see some pics of how the tray was cut. Otherwise I may render my tray useless one week before a big race.
Run the battery in the kit location. We have a lot of guys that run it the kit position an really like it. The car was deveolped testing both ways and to be honest it works really well the kit setup. The outdoor guys were testing it with ESC in the back but indoor guys were liking it in the rear. Maifield built his the same way as Drake had his for this race and not sure he even tried it the other way. It looks like he just cut out the front end of the tray as the ESC is in the back of the tray in the photo. Not sure how he is securing the front of the battery. I see foam but I would expect some type of solid support in the front by maybe not.

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:35 PM   #2939
Tech Master

Hey guys, my kit is on the way but I have been looking at setups online and almost every one I see has the rear running the low roll center. Is the LRC parts included in the kit or do I need to buy them separate?
Old 02-23-2015, 04:53 PM   #2940
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxnickj View Post
Hey guys, my kit is on the way but I have been looking at setups online and almost every one I see has the rear running the low roll center. Is the LRC parts included in the kit or do I need to buy them separate?
those are kit parts.

Tags
e-buggy, eight 3.0, losi, spur gear