R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 05-14-2014, 06:28 PM   #1951
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Thanks to Sym and 8run I am really getting to know this kit quickly. And I appreciate the help. The kit is different than the .2, big time different. Any hoot I have been revisiting diff oil settings and the effects front to rear and got to thinking, should the rule of thumb be the same as in a nitro seems how that's what the theories are based on? Nitro free clutch feel off power. I don't run any drag break but was thinking I may try some creep in the throttle to emulate it. The Tekin RX8 Gen 2 is what I am running and wondering if any one has tried it yet. I think its call push control?
UN4RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #1952
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Diff Question

Has anyone used a smartdiff from losi in the 3.0, and how did it work improvement or no?
Rich68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:44 PM   #1953
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UN4RACING View Post
Thanks to Sym and 8run I am really getting to know this kit quickly. And I appreciate the help. The kit is different than the .2, big time different. Any hoot I have been revisiting diff oil settings and the effects front to rear and got to thinking, should the rule of thumb be the same as in a nitro seems how that's what the theories are based on? Nitro free clutch feel off power. I don't run any drag break but was thinking I may try some creep in the throttle to emulate it. The Tekin RX8 Gen 2 is what I am running and wondering if any one has tried it yet. I think its call push control?
No prob! I run the Rx8 gen2 with the r8 2050kv motor in my 3.0 and also run zero drag brake. I tried the push control but felt I didn't "always" want to have it so I turned it off and decided to do it manually from there and just feather the trigger when needed. Our local track recently became more technical and felt it was a better change for my driving style. Good luck
Tekin 1900, Savox, Spektrum (current build)
* both transmitted by a loose nut and a DX4R Pro *
8ighteRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:19 PM   #1954
Tech Apprentice
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8ighteRun View Post
Yea.. I mean. You should barely hear the planetary gears working smoothly. It should be a consistent slight sound. How does it sound? Choppy or smooth?
It's a smooth noise if there is such a thing. It is consistent. The planetary gears are quite. I think it stems from the ring and pinion gear contact.
cdraughon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #1955
Tech Lord

Quote:
No prob! I run the Rx8 gen2 with the r8 2050kv motor in my 3.0 and also run zero drag brake. I tried the push control but felt I didn't "always" want to have it so I turned it off and decided to do it manually from there and just feather the trigger when needed. Our local track recently became more technical and felt it was a better change for my driving style. Good luck
Tomorrow I am going to work on the Akerman tip and was thinking right now the on power steering is extremely good maybe some push control might be a faster on the track option. By what you say it may work on our track it's not real technical right now. I will get some video Friday and you can see how big the jumps are. Hopefully I'll have dialed by the mains?
Old 05-14-2014, 09:31 PM   #1956
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich68 View Post
Has anyone used a smartdiff from losi in the 3.0, and how did it work improvement or no?
There were something about the smartdiff some pages back, you should be able to find it by searching on smartdiff.

I think it was one of the TLR team drivers or tech guys who said that they do not use it on the e buggy, as it is more suited for the nitro.

Something about the smartdiff providing a faster throttle respons on the nitro, which was not needed on the e buggy, due to the massive instant power nature of brushless motors.
Old 05-15-2014, 03:32 AM   #1957
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
There were something about the smartdiff some pages back, you should be able to find it by searching on smartdiff.

I think it was one of the TLR team drivers or tech guys who said that they do not use it on the e buggy, as it is more suited for the nitro.

Something about the smartdiff providing a faster throttle respons on the nitro, which was not needed on the e buggy, due to the massive instant power nature of brushless motors.

+1
Old 05-15-2014, 03:35 AM   #1958
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Tomorrow I am going to work on the Akerman tip and was thinking right now the on power steering is extremely good maybe some push control might be a faster on the track option. By what you say it may work on our track it's not real technical right now. I will get some video Friday and you can see how big the jumps are. Hopefully I'll have dialed by the mains?
Sounds good. Def let us know how it goes. I only messed with it for a few lap and never really gave it a "chance". Suhweeet let's see some video!!
Old 05-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #1959
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Going to give a 3.0 E a try

I didn't realize the motor mount (adjustable part) only has one screw?

Has this been problematic? ... I am thinking of taping a set-screw into the top of the mount beside the existing motor mount bolt
Attached Thumbnails
TLR 8IGHT E 3.0 THREAD-dsc06774.jpg  
RC Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 08:40 PM   #1960
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Geezer View Post

Has this been problematic? ... I am thinking of taping a set-screw into the top of the mount beside the existing motor mount bolt
I've own 2 of these buggies and have never experienced a problem. I do use a very small amount of blue loctite on the threads. I run a tekin setup with the 2050kv, 15/45 gearing.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:47 PM   #1961
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
I've own 2 of these buggies and have never experienced a problem. I do use a very small amount of blue loctite on the threads. I run a tekin setup with the 2050kv, 15/45 gearing.
Must be a engineering marvel huh....I never would have believed it could be held w/ a single 3mm bolt & washer
RC Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:03 PM   #1962
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Geezer View Post

We have two E 3.0's and have never had a hint of a problem.

Also had a e 2.0, same type of mount (one screw), no problems there too.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:13 AM   #1963
Tech Lord

Well good news gents. My kit was rocking last night. Only one that had anything for me was Taylor James and his SK. I out qualified him and held him off a quarter of the race then dorked it. But I kept him in sight and then it happened, he dorked it....LOL TQ and the win baby. Still some off power issues but this week I am sure that will be done with. I will post a set up for our track soon.

I am concluding the CSI pistons are great but not for the mammoth jumps we run. The pack is good but the rebound is to fast. Going to change to 8-1.3 and splits in the rear. Hard landings its great but then bounces back up to fast and unsettles the kit. It makes the kit feel over sprung on the rebound after a flat landing. Ended up with 27.5 in the front and 30 in the rear to calm it down. This week I will work on it. I may turn the rears flange upward? But pretty sure I will be changing the pistons. The kit was smooth and consistent all night long. Even though I wanted more in the apex. I will get a link to the results up when they post them. The averages were unbelievable. And there were 2 other 3.0 kits out there now to.

I didn't test the push control. Out of time to play around. We had rain coming in and only 2 rounds of quals.

And I have to put in a plug for AKA. They are having a close out on Hard compound Gridirons. I am telling you guys that these tires were the best tire I have ever ran in Medium but the Hards were like cheating and the wear was almost zero. And get this every one thought I was nuts cause it was only 50 degrees out last night.

But let me just say it was like having tacks stuck threw the tire on forward bite and a semi bald tire on side bite. I also tried the Hard Ibeams. And DAMN!! If you look the only way you can tell I ran them was by the scuffs on the wheels. At the start of the day I tested them on the dry ruff track. It was like running a medium Gridirion on side bite and with 10X the forward bite..

I didn't waste all my testing time last night LOL...
Old 05-17-2014, 07:16 AM   #1964
Tech Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salkin View Post
We have two E 3.0's and have never had a hint of a problem.

Also had a e 2.0, same type of mount (one screw), no problems there too.
+1 IMO opinion its the best mount for setting the gap, pinion to spur out there. Simple and easy to use. Pinion and spur are easy to see as well.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:21 PM   #1965
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Well good news gents. My kit was rocking last night. Only one that had anything for me was Taylor James and his SK. I out qualified him and held him off a quarter of the race then dorked it. But I kept him in sight and then it happened, he dorked it....LOL TQ and the win baby. Still some off power issues but this week I am sure that will be done with. I will post a set up for our track soon.

I am concluding the CSI pistons are great but not for the mammoth jumps we run. The pack is good but the rebound is to fast. Going to change to 8-1.3 and splits in the rear. Hard landings its great but then bounces back up to fast and unsettles the kit. It makes the kit feel over sprung on the rebound after a flat landing. Ended up with 27.5 in the front and 30 in the rear to calm it down. This week I will work on it. I may turn the rears flange upward? But pretty sure I will be changing the pistons. The kit was smooth and consistent all night long. Even though I wanted more in the apex. I will get a link to the results up when they post them. The averages were unbelievable. And there were 2 other 3.0 kits out there now to.

I didn't test the push control. Out of time to play around. We had rain coming in and only 2 rounds of quals.

And I have to put in a plug for AKA. They are having a close out on Hard compound Gridirons. I am telling you guys that these tires were the best tire I have ever ran in Medium but the Hards were like cheating and the wear was almost zero. And get this every one thought I was nuts cause it was only 50 degrees out last night.

But let me just say it was like having tacks stuck threw the tire on forward bite and a semi bald tire on side bite. I also tried the Hard Ibeams. And DAMN!! If you look the only way you can tell I ran them was by the scuffs on the wheels. At the start of the day I tested them on the dry ruff track. It was like running a medium Gridirion on side bite and with 10X the forward bite..

I didn't waste all my testing time last night LOL...

Good write up and good job on the win!!! I prefer the tlr 8/splits over the csi blue. Never have tried the csi reds. interesting about the tires. Are you running indoor clay or outdoor? ( I might have missed that in your write up).

Tags
e-buggy, eight 3.0, losi, spur gear