Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Starting out with a SCT/SCB

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Starting out with a SCT/SCB

Alright Guys I need input, I have raced nitro a little here and there but mostly bash, My issue is my schedule has changed and so I need to get into a SCT/SCB
to be able to race anymore. I have no experience with anything electric...
Here are the classes im interested in.

2wd SCT any motor any batt
4wd SCT any motor any batt

The track is tight and the longest straight is 50 yards or so.
What is the best truck I can get into for around $200?(used is fine)
I have also seen the conversion for my RC10gt to SC10 is that worth it?
Old 04-12-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

The losi XXX series has the conversion to run both SCT and SCB. I have not bought one myself buy I saw a couple SCB rollers for about $100 shipped. Those would be strictly 2wd but you could couple it with their 4x4 platform and I think have a few parts that are busted most often like arms and bumpers and swap them out. The XXX series seems to be really reasonable all over RCTECH so it should not be too hard of a problem to come within budget.

Myself I run a Blitz ESE that's been boiled/dyed and that improved durability it seems and use SC10 big bore shocks because the ESE ones just did not quite cut it for me. I like the Blitz because it fits my driving style a little more and I have it set up to be a little more forgiving.

I am not a hater of any brand but I would stick with a LHS supported product so if you get in a bind you can get parts quick. I also like running similar vehicles so that I can get familiar with setup and driving. I am also on a budget with 4 kids so part inter-changeability is always a bonus!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For now with your budget I'd definitely recommend 2wd they are cheaper up front and cheaper to run. A 4wd requires more power (motor $ and battery $) and more parts $ due to the drivetrain and higher speed crashes in a heavier vehicle.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

what about redcat or turnigy...? they are so cheap its hard to say no... anybody had a caldera or trooper from either of those companies?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

The Trooper is ok for bashing. STAY AWAY FROM REDCAT!!!!! Go w/a used SC10 or XXX platform. SC10 prices may drop a little since the .2 came out.