Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Running High voltage servos directly on 2S Lipo - yes or no ? >

Running High voltage servos directly on 2S Lipo - yes or no ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Running High voltage servos directly on 2S Lipo - yes or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinpratt823
The Savox in my Losi 5T, and the ones in my 8b nitro, all run directly on 2s lipo. My SCTE has a BEC for the servo, though, the main benefit is consistency in performance throughout the charge, as I don't want my servo slowing down throughout a run.

Good point.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 157 (100%+)

Wiring is even easier than what is being described.

Unplug the red and black wires from your servo plug. Solder them onto the MALE end of a balance plug (you can get them on ebay etc.)

Cut the unused wire off the male balance plug, so just the red and black wires will work and plug that into the balance plug of your lipo.

It's super easy and you don't have to change the wiring of your lipo or esc.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Got it

Originally Posted by LVBaja
No, you wouldn't want to run them straight off a 4S lipo. 2S only. Use an external BEC if you're planning to run them off a 4S lipo. I wouldn't recommend running high voltage servos off the speed control's internal BEC, as most are not robust enough to handle high voltage servos. I burned out 3 Tekin RX8's before I learned this and started using an external BEC. Here's the BEC I use in my e-buggy:

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Adjustable-BEC
Old 04-11-2013, 08:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bobf24
run two servos in series to handle the extra voltage . . .
Baahahahah!
Old 04-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been running a solar D771 off the balance plug of my 2S lipo and so far zero problems. Just make sure the receiver can handle the voltage though. Spektrums can handle over 9v no problem but now I am using the Hobbyking DSM2 Orange ones because they are super cheap and still no issues. It's super easy to make the harness too and really cheap.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by neospud
Cool thanks for posting that. I did find out that it ultimately does come down to the particular manufacturer. Some will be fine and some won't. Some servos even have their own built-in BECs. BTW i've been running the protek 150s in my e-buggy for a month or two now and it's been fantastic so far. I really enjoy the extra speed.
I actually bought the Protek 150s because my Radiopost 2207m (Green) stopped working. (Until it did, it was the most awesome servo I've had in any car)
I sent it back to the US (I'm in the Netherlands) for warranty, and Greg of Radiopost emailed me back saying the fact I cut of the standard connector voided the warranty. I explained why I cut off the connector (it's being sold as a high voltage servo, so it would be a waste to connect it to the 6v power of the receiver / esc - I've split the cable to power it straight from the BEC at 7.2v), and Greg / Radiopost seems to agree and they'll repair/replace it under warranty.
If they do - awesome, that's the kind of customer service I'd expect when paying the big bucks for a servo. If not, I'll be back to buying cheaper servo's
Old 04-12-2013, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I just wired up a Hitec 7954sh and my Airtronics reciever to run directly off a 2s lipo. Only problem I had was glitching under hard acceleration and braking. I plugged a glitch buster into the reciever and the problem was solved.

So long as your reciever and servo are both rated for 7.4v it's no problem. Simply pull the red wire from the ESC conector that plugs into the reciever and tape it up. Get a servo extension wire and plug it into the battery conection on the reciever. Cut the other end off the servo extension wire and connect it to the lipo. I soldered mine to the lipo input of the ESC because it was handy. Your reciever and servo are now running off the lipo and the BEC of the ESC is not being used.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:32 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default If it's mark and promoted on the packaging.

Then it should be okay other wise use a cap. I use caps no matter what it says. example 2s lipo to 4ch receiver rated 7.2-9.4v out to servo rated at 7.4v then rx out to esc rated at 2-3s lipo then rx out to glitch cap then rx out to mylaps. no issues.

also on my special sc I use 2 receivers rated at 7.2-8.4v binded together on one tx. example : 2s lipo to rx1 then from rx1 throttle input to rx2 which esc is on with 2 glitch cap in aux1,2. no can do this I have the secret formula.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Sorry to bring this old thread back up...... I'm new to directly powering HV servos, but what happens when you near the end of your run and the lipo voltage drops? Does the servo start to slow down and affect performance or will it work at peak specs throughout the pack? Will you also start experiencing glitching issues?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

This is a little off topic, but somewhat related. If one is NOT having glitching problems would running a glitch buster result in a smoother throttle/brake feeling?
Old 10-20-2013, 07:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Sorry to bring this old thread back up...... I'm new to directly powering HV servos, but what happens when you near the end of your run and the lipo voltage drops? Does the servo start to slow down and affect performance or will it work at peak specs throughout the pack? Will you also start experiencing glitching issues?
I would say it's possible to feel the servo slow down if you run your car down to lvc, but I've never felt a drop off running a regular 5-7 minute race in my scte. The difference between fully charged and lvc is usually about . 04 sec response time on the servo, so you would have to be pretty sensitive to feel that. But yes it's possible.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scottgir
Wiring is even easier than what is being described.

Unplug the red and black wires from your servo plug. Solder them onto the MALE end of a balance plug (you can get them on ebay etc.)

Cut the unused wire off the male balance plug, so just the red and black wires will work and plug that into the balance plug of your lipo.

It's super easy and you don't have to change the wiring of your lipo or esc.
how to know red or black wire goes to which side of the male balance plug please?
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO
Technically it does, but I also doubt if it's much of an issue. I used direct powered KO servos for years with nicads that dropped off a lot more during a run than lipos, can't say I noticed a big difference, seemed fine. Some may be more sensitive of course.

Plenty of nitro guys run direct lipo servos, long races, while I haven't searched for concerns I've never heard of any either.

Although it is a legitimate point. Personally I'd try it with a simple direct connection, see it appears to be an issue, before adding the complexity of a regulator or external BEC to try and make it more consistent.