Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tamiya Grasshopper is back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 10:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Cool thanks Stu i didnt know there was vids on there as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

hope tamiya would re-release the avante.2001...... have one... it's a very nice kit..
Old 05-16-2005, 05:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey Stu, now we might have to rebuild my Grasshopper and see about doing a retro class at one or two of these races. I know my Dad still has a Futaba FX10 and an original gold pan RC10.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a old tamiya falcon. even has a mechanical speed controll .
Old 05-18-2005, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mr.Pink
I have a old tamiya falcon. even has a mechanical speed controll .
i have a half falcon and a wreck boomerang , i hope tamiya redo them again.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It's really no surprise at all that Tamiya decided to release the Grasshopper as their 2nd "Retro Kit". It's practically the same exact kit as a Hornet so it wouldn't cost them much to reproduce plus they share virtually all of the same parts so selling spare parts for it will is made much easier. I doubt you will ever see a true Sand Scorcher, Rough Rider, Toyota Hi-Lux, etc. those fantastic "oldies" would be just too costly to make since they have lots of heavy and more expensive diecast parts.

It wasn't too long ago that I decided to go for a NIB Super Champ which unfortunately also would be too costly for them to reproduce. I can see The Frog being next in line since it was such a hit and shares many parts with other kits. For serious Collectors... I guess this hurts the value of their Originals... but it sure is nostalgic and fun to again see these kits bashing and racing in the dirt!

Here is a side by side Pic of the Grasshopper & Hornet at a recent Hobby Show in Japan:

http://www.teamjoybox.com/shs05/shs05244.jpg

Last edited by STEALTH; 05-19-2005 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Repop'n the classic parts

I happen to know that the original RCH owners are thinking of making alimited run of the old school parts for the Rough Rider and Sand Scorcher.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
Its such a let-down....I want to see companies like Tamiya use their On road R&D abilities and effort and put it into designing an off-road car. I'm tired of Tamiya putting out "play" kits for off-road.

Sorry, just had to relieve my frusteration with Tamiya.
I disagree, why compete in a market that has limited appeal which is dominated by top notch buggies by Losi and Associated? I applaud tamiya for re-releasing this time honored classic. A whole new generation of RC'ers will be able to say the grasshopper was their first RC buggy
Old 05-29-2005, 12:50 AM
Tech Adept

Stealth,

Nice pics, do you know what the 2wd buggy on the far right might be? An Astute maybe?
Old 06-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Looks like a DESERT GATOR...

http://www.tamiya.com/english/news/news0506/news3.htm
Old 06-10-2005, 11:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

do the grasshopper rear tyres fit the wild willy 1?if im gona get me a few sets.id like to see the wild one come back as a re relese,that would be wicked.and definitely a 4wd and 2wd buggy with trf versions.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

No the tyres for the Grasshopper will not fit the WIld Willy.
They look the same, but are actually bigger. The Wild Willy and the Blazin' Blazer share the same tyre, and the Grasshopper shares its tyres with the Sand Scorcher ( which I know pleases a lot of people who will like being able to get new tyres for their Scorchers !)
Old 06-11-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

I love Tamiya vehicles, but while I'm happy to see the cars from yesteryears coming back, I worry that it will decerease the value of the originals. I have a Bruiser, F-150, an FW11B, a Hornet, a Grasshopper, Blackfoot, Bull Head (Clod's twin brother), Juggernaut, and a Boomerang. If they rereleased the Bruiser, mine would be worth very little, because they would be everywhere! Not like there is a shortage, but still, I spent a lot of money for mine (upwards of $700 in parts and pieces), and if they release a new one, it will probably go for only $300 or so. Now the Avante is a little beast I want to see make a comeback. Not the crappy Avante 2001, but the real one, the classic one. But I only want them to make one, so I can get that one cheap, without making other collectors angry.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Platinum_Racing
I love Tamiya vehicles, but while I'm happy to see the cars from yesteryears coming back, I worry that it will decerease the value of the originals. I have a Bruiser, F-150, an FW11B, a Hornet, a Grasshopper, Blackfoot, Bull Head (Clod's twin brother), Juggernaut, and a Boomerang. If they rereleased the Bruiser, mine would be worth very little, because they would be everywhere! Not like there is a shortage, but still, I spent a lot of money for mine (upwards of $700 in parts and pieces), and if they release a new one, it will probably go for only $300 or so. Now the Avante is a little beast I want to see make a comeback. Not the crappy Avante 2001, but the real one, the classic one. But I only want them to make one, so I can get that one cheap, without making other collectors angry.

I have to say if you are into collecting old r/c cars for money then get out now !
if on the other hand like many thousands out there you do it for fun, then collect what you like and have fun with it, don't concern yourself with what Tamiya and others might re-release.
Old 06-11-2005, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

I definatly love driving my cars, and they all get driven, but I hate to think that I wasted $700 on an item thats $300 new. I don't know about you, but $400 isn't something I want to waste. I'm not in it for money, but the old stuff adds pretige to a collection, because you have to maintain your cars, keep them clean, and keep them nice in order to have them survive the test of time, and the thought that anyone with $300 can have the same thing that I have, well, that just seems to make it seem more ordinary. Then again, Grasshoppers are still all over the place, and ones on eBay are still only like $40-$50.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.