Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need Help with sc10 questions please! >

Need Help with sc10 questions please!

Need Help with sc10 questions please!

Old 04-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? Need Help with sc10 questions please!

I'm new to hobby grade rc and I really want to get into it. I've never bought a hobby grade rc only toy rc vehicles. There are a few race tracks and hobby shops in my town and I would eventually like to race. I also live in a area that I could just drive around for fun(pavement/Dirt) I have been researching different rc trucks. I originally was looking at the Losi 1/10 Desert truck- $150, but I don't know if it could race or what class it would race in. Then I saw the Losi XXX-sct- $199, but I think it got discontinued. So I didn't know if I could get help with it if it's obsolete. Then I discovered the Team Associated Sc10 RTR $199, and I was like wow.
It looks good(I like the looks of Short course trucks), and the reviews that I have seen have been pretty positive. But before I buy it I have a few questions. I'm looking at the Brushed version rtr because its cheaper and I have a TIGHT budget. So keep that in mind please.

1. Is the sc10 rtr brushed good enough to race? I mean would it compete against other 'stock' 2wd trucks? I've seen the rcnightmare drag races and it does pretty well(at least on straightaways).

2. Can I run LiPo's in it with the stock brushed motor and esc? Like i said I'm new

3. Is the stock sc10 Rtr(brushed) better than the Losi XXX-Sct? Like the electronics and stuff? (My lhs has a Losi xxx-Sct for $215, and my lhs has plenty of Losi and associated part).

4. Do you think it's a good first truck? I think it's going to be fun fixing and maintaining it.

5. If the sc10 rtr brushed isn't good enough to race stock then how much $$$ will it cost just to get it race ready?

6. Is the Losi 1/10 desert truck even worth looking at? Is it race worthy?

I'm sorry for all the questions I just don't know who to ask. Thank you for taking time and reading this and have a good day.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I would try to stay away from the brushed stuff.
As far as using lipos, find out the specs of the speed control.
Nice truck though.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Suspended

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-part-2-a.html

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...w-threads.html
Old 04-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jaybird95
I would try to stay away from the brushed stuff.
As far as using lipos, find out the specs of the speed control.
Nice truck though.
Why stay away from brushed? Only reason im looking at it is because its cheaper than the Rs, and ill try to look up stuff about the esc.

And Pablo I had seen that but this wasn't just about the sc10. But thank you anyways.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

When running brushed there is alot more maintainence and its like traveling back in time.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Although I have nothing against brushed systems. The brushed systems in the SC rtr's is pretty lacking. I have seen many a motor go poof in the xxx scb and sct. I dont imaging the AE is any better. The sc's are a little heavy and the brushed motors struggle. In all honesty, I would get the traxxas rtr. It is also brushed, but it has a 550 sized larger brushed motor. The traxxas slash is a great first time truck and works well bashing (driving in parking lots and grass). As it was stated above brushless is better, but will cost more. If you really get into racing and find that the slash is holding you back, you can ebay the truck and pickup a "racing" truck. Racing trucks tend to sit lower to the ground and be more fragile. The traxxas is know for its durability. Keep in mind, you will also need to buy a charger. Tower hobbies has an "easy pay" system that lets you break the payment up over 3 months, so this might make it easier for you to buy what you need.

This is the truck i am referring to.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUW**&P=ML
Old 04-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jaybird95
When running brushed there is alot more maintainence and its like traveling back in time.
yeah exactly but you can race it and you could be competitive in the novice class for sure, the esc i know does come with lipo cutoff so you will be good for running lipos with it

here is a link for the truck and in the description you can read all about it and it does talk about the esc

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...10/RTR_2.4GHZ/

the xxx-sct and sc10 are very big competitors just because they are both very good short course designs from two different companies either one will be good

id stay away from the losi desert truck for sure if you want too try to be competitive
Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcduder
yeah exactly but you can race it and you could be competitive in the novice class for sure, the esc i know does come with lipo cutoff so you will be good for running lipos with it

here is a link for the truck and in the description you can read all about it and it does talk about the esc

http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_a...10/RTR_2.4GHZ/

the xxx-sct and sc10 are very big competitors just because they are both very good short course designs from two different companies either one will be good

id stay away from the losi desert truck for sure if you want too try to be competitive
I read all about it in that link
"NOTE: This kit has been discontinued"

they have this one now.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCXXK&P=7
Old 04-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
Although I have nothing against brushed systems. The brushed systems in the SC rtr's is pretty lacking. I have seen many a motor go poof in the xxx scb and sct. I dont imaging the AE is any better. The sc's are a little heavy and the brushed motors struggle. In all honesty, I would get the traxxas rtr. It is also brushed, but it has a 550 sized larger brushed motor. The traxxas slash is a great first time truck and works well bashing (driving in parking lots and grass). As it was stated above brushless is better, but will cost more. If you really get into racing and find that the slash is holding you back, you can ebay the truck and pickup a "racing" truck. Racing trucks tend to sit lower to the ground and be more fragile. The traxxas is know for its durability. Keep in mind, you will also need to buy a charger. Tower hobbies has an "easy pay" system that lets you break the payment up over 3 months, so this might make it easier for you to buy what you need.

This is the truck i am referring to.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...=LXAPUW**&P=ML
He's right, The traxxas would be a better place to start building some skills and its a much less fragile truck.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the many answers! I want a truck that would be competitive and has lots of parts availability and the sc10 is $199 and my Lhs has plenty of ae parts. I don't mind starting out with a brushed motor, and I can always upgrade. I don't know about the slash and its a little but more $. Is the slash race worthy? I've read many things saying slash for bashing sc10 for racing. Is it a better racing truck than the sc10? Sorry just so many questions
Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I read all about it in that link
"NOTE: This kit has been discontinued"

they have this one now.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCXXK&P=7
yeah i know it has been discontinued but this is indeed the truck hes talkig about and even if it isnt these are still the same standard electronics that come on the associated brushed rtr 1/10 vehicles, im just answering his questions
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rc-007
Thanks for the many answers! I want a truck that would be competitive and has lots of parts availability and the sc10 is $199 and my Lhs has plenty of ae parts. I don't mind starting out with a brushed motor, and I can always upgrade. I don't know about the slash and its a little but more $. Is the slash race worthy? I've read many things saying slash for bashing sc10 for racing. Is it a better racing truck than the sc10? Sorry just so many questions
If your goal really is to race, then honestly none of these are the best recommendations in my opinion. A discontinued brushed setup will be a total waste of money before too long. Traxxas, while durable, is not a race truck and you will end up buying an SC10 later anyway. The SC10 RS while a great truck with better RTR electronics, tends to be too fast for the stock class, once you get out of novice.

The BEST recommendation I can make, is to take advantage of the AWEFUL resell value of used RC gear, and piece together a used race kit. Get an SC10 Factory team, as they can be had for around $120 for a kit with some spares (cheaper even, now that the .2s are all coming out), get yourself a used Tekin RS speedo, and a used 17.5 brushless motor, and find a decent used radio, and you will be set. You WONT be race ready for $200 no matter what.

Start with your local track, and the for-sale threads here on RCtech are good, as long as you stay weary of the scammers. (feel free to PM me if you need an opinion on a "do i buy" or "do i not buy", in the for sale threads).

-Cpt.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Tech Addict

I know I won't be ready for racing for $200 but at least it gets my a truck I can use and won't drain my pockets... And I wouldn't be racing off the bat, not when It's my first rc. Maybe in awhile but I have to learn a few things before racing. Couldn't I just upgrade the esc/motor in the brushed when I need to? I don't have $500 too spend all at once.

Thanks for the response

Last edited by Rc-007; 04-04-2013 at 06:37 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

The classifieds have everything you are looking for. There is a lot of good people willing to help you get started the right way, by buying used you can really get a good bang for your buck.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Tech Addict

Okay,thanks kcooper

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.