Search
Like Tree1Likes

Simple Green

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Simple Green

I have been searching for opinions on this, and not really turning anything up. I got in a discussion with a fellow racer about the use of SimpleGreen to clean tires. This is not your ordinary basher that sometimes races but rather someone who is qualified for worlds and is well respected in the RC community.

He was explaining to me about the chemical compound of the tires and the difference between Chemical traction and friction traction. He also was explaining how there is a petroleum product in the "pores" of the rubber tire, and that SimpleGreen (being it is a degreaser) actualy removes that product.

He said at a national event you would not see anybody using SimpleGreen on their tires.

I have seen many people use SimpleGreen on tires.. and even more recommend using it.... but I found his chemical analysis very intriguing .. I was hoping to start a conversation about this with a more in depth look at what SimpleGreen really does to your tires from people who actually know
Old 03-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by masher81
I have been searching for opinions on this, and not really turning anything up. I got in a discussion with a fellow racer about the use of SimpleGreen to clean tires. This is not your ordinary basher that sometimes races but rather someone who is qualified for worlds and is well respected in the RC community.

He was explaining to me about the chemical compound of the tires and the difference between Chemical traction and friction traction. He also was explaining how there is a petroleum product in the "pores" of the rubber tire, and that SimpleGreen (being it is a degreaser) actualy removes that product.

He said at a national event you would not see anybody using SimpleGreen on their tires.

I have seen many people use SimpleGreen on tires.. and even more recommend using it.... but I found his chemical analysis very intriguing .. I was hoping to start a conversation about this with a more in depth look at what SimpleGreen really does to your tires from people who actually know

Advise to never use the green on the tires , leaves a film that does not help traction.
Use green to clean the body , car parts , wash hands , ect ...

Tip

just use water , a wire brush when clay packs up the tires .
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Yes he said to use a wire brush on the tires and that is it. He said not even get the tires wet.

I am just curious, if it is so known to be bad for the tires.. how come it's use is so wide spread!!
Old 03-25-2013, 12:06 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Bad ideas spread like wild fire all the time. Most people just dont know better and some people also believe that it acts as a traction compound.
JatoTheRipper likes this.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Simple green contains oil of wintergreen. A lot of tire sauces contain oil of wintergreen. Get two sets of tires that are the same compound, and have the same inserts. Test to see if simple green has an effect on the way the tires perform. Cleaning tires with a wire brush would be much worse for them. Think what it would do to the tread.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I would only use a wire brush on slicks.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

just pick up some of the x-factory tire cleaner. it's part number 9202. it's described as "This spray effectively cleans tires without leaving residue or "slimy" feel. Cleans the dirt off without changing the handling characteristics of the tire" i started using this stuff instead of simple green and it's a subtle difference at first but then it gets more noticeable. and it's better bringing a small 8oz bottle than a big spray bottle. give it a try
Old 03-25-2013, 09:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

I've used Simp[le green for about 6 years and love it!
Why it works? I don't have a clue, but it does...
I use it in a 60/40 or even 70/30 mix with water, never full strength.
My tires are always nice and sticky!

Wire brush... Never! I wouldn't even do that with a dirt bike tire!
Old 03-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by thecman26
My tires are always nice and sticky!
The soap film left over from the green is sticky ....
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 110 (100%+)

I use to use SG all the time but have since quit. Main reason is the tires prepped with it change too much through a run. They start out clean and mad grip then half way through they start gripping more true which is less. Now I just knock off any clay with a med. brush and before I run spray with Kal-Guard motor spray if needed. It just softens the rubber but no residue is eft so it feels very consistent start to finish. Just my findings and everyone is different.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

we use the plastic tub with an upside down brush and water easy and clean, no cleaner needed.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I don't think he was meaning a metal wire brush, but just a stiffer style plastic brush. But I usually only clean mine if i happened to be in the race recently after a over watering. I am a simple green user around the house and in automotive and it is some good stuff. But some of the things Ive seen it clean i would assume would be hard on a rubber tire.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Whaaat

Simple Green has it`s own thread? Swaite...I use spray bottle Goof off to clean the body and the suspension arms ,towers ETC.Have to spends some extra time wit thE air hose but the stuff cleans well!!Does any one know if this..is hurting my plastics????Come on You science Nerds ..TELL ME!!
Old 03-25-2013, 10:43 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 146 (100%+)

goof off has a solvent in it (can't remember which one, toluene?) so there is a possibility it could do some damage to plastics.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Tech Legend

Default Onoo Thread derail

A very good wire brush for cleaning of packed clay off the tires...

Last edited by Wild Cherry; 05-15-2013 at 12:50 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.