R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 01-21-2017, 10:34 AM   #3796
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Thanks for the input.

I took a look at the SC10.2 manual and it doesn't show any additional spacers. I can't imagine it's properly set up with that much of a gap allowing the axle to slide back and forth inside of the steering block.

My main concerns are:
1. Binding of the axle against the inboard or outboard bearing.
2. Track width
Rich Panganiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #3797
Tech Rookie

You reinstalled the eclip on the inside, correct? Is so that's it. I don't think anyone will argue it's a bit of a design flaw. I myself just grabbed some of the jconcept front axles so I'll let you know how that goes.
motorcitymuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 12:47 PM   #3798
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorcitymuscle View Post
You reinstalled the eclip on the inside, correct? Is so that's it. I don't think anyone will argue it's a bit of a design flaw. I myself just grabbed some of the jconcept front axles so I'll let you know how that goes.
Yes, I did reinstall the C clip on the axle.

I guess I'll do a few runs with it shimmed out and measure the track width as well.

Thanks again.
Old 01-22-2017, 06:36 AM   #3799
Tech Regular

I'm curious to the axle part # used in the conversion.
rustyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #3800
Tech Regular

I'm thinking you have the T4 axles installed in the steering blocks, cause with the SC10's 9881 axles, you will not need any shims/spacers.
rustyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:04 AM   #3801
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyus View Post
I'm curious to the axle part # used in the conversion.
That was what I was afraid of. I believe the axles were from a SC10RS, but I'll have to verify they are not from a T4.2.

Thanks for that.
Old 01-26-2017, 05:05 PM   #3802
Tech Fanatic

Got it sorted out. rustyus was correct, I had installed T4.2 axles. Oops!

Looks much better now. Thanks for the help!

Old 09-03-2017, 02:01 PM   #3803
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
The SC10.2 Factory Team is pretty much the pinnacle of SC10 development. Not much it really needs, if anything at all, for the truck to be right. This truck is still very deadly on medium grip and below dirt, clay dirt tracks. It does not have the corner speed of the SC5M but that can only be exploited on certain tracks. Work with setups and tires and you are good to go.
You can have your cake and eat it too...the Xfactory SCX-61 conversion is going to be made available. My 11 year old son is beating rear and mid motor trucks in Pro 2 on loose outdoor tracks with one. Set up right, nothing puts the power down like that truck. And indoors, it still has mid motor corner speed
Old 09-03-2017, 03:52 PM   #3804
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaslash View Post
You can have your cake and eat it too...the Xfactory SCX-61 conversion is going to be made available. My 11 year old son is beating rear and mid motor trucks in Pro 2 on loose outdoor tracks with one. Set up right, nothing puts the power down like that truck. And indoors, it still has mid motor corner speed
For sure. I guess some of these guys race with the drivers stand stacked with all the Ryan's and other high caliber drivers all the time. Most tracks I've seen have a full range of new/old vehicles running competitively on them. The SC10 in most iterations is plenty competitive and in the right hands can win or at the very least fight for the chance. Hell we've got good drivers running modified slashes with broken and busted up looking body's that will walk you easily if you're not on your A game. I've recently sold off most of my SC10's to make room but I still have a KMC SC10RS sitting on the shelf. The truck just works, blue shocks and all.
Alan_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:07 PM   #3805
Tech Regular

Despite getting the SC5M I certainly won't be getting rid of my SC10RS either Not having threaded shocks is a bit of a pain if ride height needs changing, but other than that with the RPM upgrades I have on it it is a quite nice truck indeed, plenty good for practise even if I'll never race with it in the future. I kinda wish I had the aluminum steering bellcrank stuff, but so far the superglued servo-saver (to "disable" it) has held up. While I've only driven maybe... 50 packs at most? with it so far, as far as I can remember I've only broken the original servo (what a piece of crap - it broke within maybe two hours, and the servo saver wasn't even disabled yet then), receiver antenna, steering link "cup", two rear T-plates and a front bumper. Since I installed the RPM stuff this summer, breakages are even less likely!

As for the FT... had I been a bit more knowledgeable and less impatient back when I got my first cars, I would've ended up with the FT rather than the RS - mainly because I would've known how/where/what to source for cheaper electronics, I knew it was the better version otherwise. The over the top price I paid for that stuff (inc. battery) on my first car, the B5M, in late 2014 prior to buying the SC10 kinda skewed my perception of what separate electronics cost at the time. That made the RS seem like the better deal. But for the cost of the threaded big bore shocks, aluminum bellcrank and aluminum hexes that the RS lacked I could've gotten a very serviceable ESC/motor/servo set from Turnigy, and then just thrown in either a Sanwa receiver to bind to my B5M's transmitter or get an affordable Turnigy or similar for that too! Similarly I could've saved probably up to 300 on the B5M going that route. But as they say, hindsight is 20/20 And at least this summer the SC5M benefited from that expensive lesson - it is running Turnigy electronics except for the receiver.
tvih is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:34 PM   #3806
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_r View Post
For sure. I guess some of these guys race with the drivers stand stacked with all the Ryan's and other high caliber drivers all the time. Most tracks I've seen have a full range of new/old vehicles running competitively on them. The SC10 in most iterations is plenty competitive and in the right hands can win or at the very least fight for the chance. Hell we've got good drivers running modified slashes with broken and busted up looking body's that will walk you easily if you're not on your A game. I've recently sold off most of my SC10's to make room but I still have a KMC SC10RS sitting on the shelf. The truck just works, blue shocks and all.
Haha...he took third in a major sponsored race with my dialed Slash earlier this year, with a BandAid holding one of the cracks in the body together. But his SCX-61 is much faster. The kit uses quite a few of the SC10 parts, so I figured I'd pass this along in case you were still running an SC10.2 and want to beat up on the "latest, greatest" trucks on any surface imaginable.