Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What gearing and drag brake on a stock sc10 reedy? >

What gearing and drag brake on a stock sc10 reedy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What gearing and drag brake on a stock sc10 reedy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Unhappy What gearing and drag brake on a stock sc10 reedy?

Hello, Iam a newbie at this and run at the Leisure hours track and was told by the guys at the shop to run a 28t pinion and a 75t spur would be good for there track. I am completely stock reedy 540r brushless.Does this sound right?.I am also running 2% drag brake and find it hard to control. Would 5% be to much heat?
Old 02-19-2013, 06:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Best solution is to try it out and see how it feels.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

I normally run at Streamwood but I have been to Leisure a couple times. I have the stock Reedy brushless system. The gearing you mention sounds like way too much. I ran the stock spur of 87 and a 20 pinion. The throttle profile is set to maximum. It was plenty fast and ran cool. I do have 5% drag brake. I also had 10% with no heat problems but I did not like the handling.

What do you mean by hard to control? Are you talking about the power or handling problems?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 223 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rogschevelle
Hello, Iam a newbie at this and run at the Leisure hours track and was told by the guys at the shop to run a 28t pinion and a 75t spur would be good for there track. I am completely stock reedy 540r brushless.Does this sound right?.I am also running 2% drag brake and find it hard to control. Would 5% be to much heat?
I assume you have the stock reedy 3300 kv motor and reedy SC450 ?

If so you might want to try a bit more drag brake (like 10%) and change your throttle profile to soft. Also the gearing is a bit to high I my opinion
That is where a 17.5 should be geared at not a 3300 kv. (roughly a 13.5)
I would start at 22 on a small track and work your way up. Watch temps and remember that combo is a sensorless combo so the key is to make it smooth and easy to drive. Ramping up the motor with gearing or punch control will just make it more inconsistent to drive. The combo is a decent sensorless combo and alot of local drivers have found a sweet spot where it performs very well. Just need a lot of track time to find it.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input guys. Going to start with 20\87 and go from there
Old 02-22-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rogschevelle
Thanks for the input guys. Going to start with 20\87 and go from there
I run this gear combo in my T4 with that motor and it works great throughout the entire power band with no issues and the temps are all in check. I could probably gear up a bit but I don't want to push the temps. I'm sure u will like this combo.