Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin Type S 17.5 motor.  Bad choice for offroad racing? >

Tekin Type S 17.5 motor. Bad choice for offroad racing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tekin Type S 17.5 motor. Bad choice for offroad racing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 06:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Tekin Type S 17.5 motor. Bad choice for offroad racing?

I guess I assumed all 17.5 motors were the same so I bought this one and planned to advance it 40 degrees but when I opened the box the timing only ranged from 0-12, and there is no clear mark to time anyway. The reedy I planned on had degree markings to 38 or 40. I plan to race mostly Blinky mode but also mod (without blinky) just to get extra laps.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Is this a gen 2 17.5 standard? Is that what you mean by "type s"?

The timing on the gen 2 is adjustable from 0 to 40 and this is "true" timing. On the gen 1 timing is adjustable from 0 to 24, again real timing.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Is this a gen 2 17.5 standard? Is that what you mean by "type s"?

The timing on the gen 2 is adjustable from 0 to 40 and this is "true" timing. On the gen 1 timing is adjustable from 0 to 24, again real timing.
Thank you for replying Randy. I bought the Tekin RS Brushless Combo (not pro) and this is the motor that came with it. It has a silver can. I looked for Gen 1 or 2 and I see nothing. Just Type S.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 AM
Team Tekin

Ok, that's a a Gen 1 motor. Good motor actually and can be competitive in some of the 17.5 blinkly classes. However the Gen2 was engineered during the "blinky" craze and does have the option of more mechanical timing which can be advantageous in blinky class racing.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnmo
Thank you for replying Randy. I bought the Tekin RS Brushless Combo (not pro) and this is the motor that came with it. It has a silver can. I looked for Gen 1 or 2 and I see nothing. Just Type S.
The Gen1 tekin motors are still great motors... Just because they can't run as much endbell timing doesn't mean you are necessarily at a disadvantage... it simply means you can probably gear the motor a little taller. They should be 99% competitive as any other motor on the market.

As a matter of fact, we have a kid at our track that used a Gen1 tekin up till just recently, and it was easily as fast as a Trinity D3.5... I don't know if it was some freak of nature Tekin motor or what, but it was super fast. He finally changed motors when the tekin finally died on him. I think he ran it for 3 years! All he ever did to it was change out the endbell bearings... and I think he needed a new rotor when the old one got weak.. but the thing was a work horse!
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Team Tekin

I have on more that one occasion ran down so called "Faster" motors with a gen 1 17.5. I recall being at a race once before where I was tech'd every round of qualifying because the "locals" couldn't believe it was that fast. They even went as far as to pull a motor from their case and had me swap it out...crazy.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
Tech Apprentice

can you show me a picture of one with the timing at 12 degrees. I don't see an obvious mark.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnmo
can you show me a picture of one with the timing at 12 degrees. I don't see an obvious mark.
On that motor, just run the timing all the way up (when looking at that end of the motor, spin the endbell all the way counter clockwise), and then gear the car accordingly (feel, lap times, and heat)