Community
Wiki Posts
Search

XXX4 vs. TC3 "o" - What do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2002, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The car DID make it to the show at the worlds. Not bad for a car with NO factory testing, NO factory support, and NO 'years' of track time.

Losi is smart to have their XX-4 on the market. There are those people out there that like 4WD, like me. AE just doesn't see much potential for a 4WD car. It costs ALOT to tool and manufacture an RC Car. And Losi did that. And they have pretty much cornered the market (at least in the states).

The Durango (TC3 "O") faired well. I think, if I'm not mistaken, only 3 or 4 went to South Africa. That's pretty good.

Will we see the car flourish in the future. Probably not. It'll sell because people want something other than a Losi or Schumacher. I just don't see 4WD off-road becoming that big in the states. And that sucks. I like 4WD.
Old 08-12-2002, 10:17 PM
Tech Adept

Just for info, the TC3 "O" and the Durango are two different hybrids of the TC3. At the worlds the Durango was ran. The TC3"O" is run only locally up north till later this august when production for the conversion kit is ready. While the Durango is offered in limited edition from Germany.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think the TC3-O needs more testing and a lot more rethinking done to the suspension and chassis design before it is made competitive.
Sealing the bottom of the chassis where the gear is exposed,designing a gear cover out of lexan or something for the top of the gear mesh.
Designing a chassis using the NTC3 steering bellcranks would best benifit the off road version of this car.
redesigning the chassis from carbon composite to be longer and narrowing towards the front of the chassis slightly with proper front kick up.This would allow for a more appealing body to be used yet keep the chassis light still.No actual cutouts should be made in the bottom thru the chassis for the batteries but grooves should be present for them.
Redesigning the shock towers to have more material to screw into when being mounted as the force of landings from jumps will eventually make for striped gear box covers.Also the shock towers should be one piece molded units with adjustable hight links for upper arms.
The suspension arms could borrow from NTC3 technology by using pillow ball pivots front and back giving the racer tons of adjustments along with adjustable front castor.
These would be major selling points for me if I was to buy one.I would however buy an electric 4 wheel if this was done.
Old 08-13-2002, 03:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Oh yeah and the Losi is still a great car.I have the XXX-NT and used to own the XX4.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:36 PM
Tech Adept

hey mavrick if ae would get off their butt and actually let cliff lett design a new car instead of upgraded parts for the ancient b3 we would see would if ae could win 4wd..cliff should leave ae and go to losi,schumacher or yokomo...at least his talents wouldn't be wasted.
Old 08-14-2002, 06:21 PM
Tech Master

I think AE would be better off comming up with a whole new design.
Old 08-14-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by MaverickRacing
I dont want to start any car vs. car wars, but which company has more world championships? I rest my case.

Damn, I didn't know we were having a full-on pissing contest!

Which company has won more ROAR Nat'l titles? I pretty sure the record is 19-1 in the last five years for the 4 major classes - 2wheel mod & stock, truck mod & stock.......
Old 08-18-2002, 12:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

My opinion is, the more manufacturers we have, the better the standard is overall, and that is good for all of us as consumers/racers.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by stulec52
My opinion is, the more manufacturers we have, the better the standard is overall, and that is good for all of us as consumers/racers.
I 2nd that. If you get more manufacturesrs out there for the class, the class dose grow. That a bad thing about off-road right now with ever one running Losi. When off-road was growing you had a great races with both Losi and AE.
Old 08-18-2002, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by sosidge
Not wanting to drag the whole thing down, but you're talking about a prototype car vs. a non-factory aftermarket conversion.

I would guess theres a couple of dozen of each car in existence.

All the talk about the Losi particularly is pure speculation.
Sorry but the XXX-4 is not if it will be out is when. Last weekend i talk to someone in the know and they just not set a date yet for it to comeout.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by SirSpeedy

Damn, I didn't know we were having a full-on pissing contest!

Which company has won more ROAR Nat'l titles? I pretty sure the record is 19-1 in the last five years for the 4 major classes - 2wheel mod & stock, truck mod & stock.......
No man im going by the Factory wins....in this case the Worlds.

But yes, Losi and associted both need to make newly designed cars, nothing in common with their touring cars.
Old 08-18-2002, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'm not so sure about it being that simple...........

you can't just take a XXXS chassis and throw some longer arms and bigger shocks on it, the wheelbase will still be too short.
I'm sure I am not the only one to remember the original Schumacher CAT, and how quickly it was superceded by the XL, reason, too short.....

Also, in general, Off Road just ain't that popular right now.

The hobby has been changing a lot lately, aiming more towards RTR cars, and branching out into different classes and formulas, mostly it seems into models that look like real cars that you or I might see on the street. And when was the last time you saw anything that looked like a Losi XX4 driving past you??

I hope off road returns with a bang, I really miss it, but I still think that until more manufacturers get in on the act, we won't be seeing the large numbers competiting like we have at present in touring cars.
Old 08-18-2002, 08:11 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is my first reply ever on this website. I am an old school offroad racer, from the east coast. I have been sponsored, and have won regionals in my region, going back to 1989. I will try to keep this simple and sweet, I remember back in the old days, when we started converting our rc10's to 4wheel drives with the mip kits. At first they were chain drive and ran ok, they had glitches, chain running off the sprocket, breaking front uprights,(which we wound up machining them out of aluminum).But there was something about converting them that was a challenge to us, the people who built them. We felt like we were "involved with this car), anyway the car was never really as good as the optima, or my other favorite car my Yokomo dogfighter. But these conversions add another dimension to our hobby, custom machining parts to convert cars into something else for a purpose. I think it is TREMENDOUS that there is a conversion for the tc3 to spark an interest in 4 WHEEL OFF ROAD. I have raced many cars in my day, and still have em all. This tc3 conversion is one i will love to build. I must say I read up on this website alot and you are all very knowledgeable, I enjoy reading about this great hobby. Maybe I should post more I do have much knowlege to share...Joe
Old 08-18-2002, 08:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

I just wanted to add something to what I posted earlier. I wanted to add that since I started back in 1986 the cars have really changed. I bought my first schumacher cat back in 1987 and it was the short wheelbase car, which later became the Cat xls, then we changed our chassis' to the trinity graphite butterfly chassis kit, changed the rear diff to the trinity one piece, with the upper layshaft, and changed the shocks, lengthened the width, and some other various suspension changes. This car was awesome then schumacher came out with their PRO CAT, it pretty much had all of these mods in the box. Nowadays, the cars come with pretty much all you need. You just have to drive, we had to worry about mods but as the hobby progressed the kits became better. Anyway what Im trying to say is that comparing the xxx4 to the tc3o is kinda like comaring 2 relatively new, "prototypes"to each other. We really cant judge them yet until they finalze them both. From what I understand is the makers of the tc3o conversion have produced thie kit for sale as we speak? So it available., and from what I read up about on the xxx4 is that you can buy a xxxs and add xx4 arms on it but you need to lenghten the car, and some minor suspension mods to get it running. What about a body for it? I dont think it is available, am I correct on that guys? So even if one of us converted one into one,(which I have seen a few guys do) its not going to be Complete. But this is tremendous, that there might be a xxx4 produced. I am a 4wheel fanatic. I have owned and raced pretty much all of the top 4 wheel cars. I am looking forward to this xxs4 kit, if it doesnt come out i will get my dremel out and start making my own, as for the tc3 i think im going to order one. Oh i forgot.. Even though I go back to the late eighties I do still have all of the newer cars too! Take care guys, I hope I was informative....Joe
Old 08-18-2002, 09:53 PM
Tech Elite

MOJOE300: The XXX-4 is almost a new car. Most of the parts will not work on the XXX-S. The car look very good and it very fast and like a said before the car just dose not have a ship date yet.

I race again it last weekend and it a car that alot of people in off-road is look to get. At the same time i see the new B3-X too and it look sweet too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.