Wiki Posts
Search

wire and accessories

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 155 (99%+)
Default wire and accessories

im just getting into electric racing and im looking to make some charger lead extensions and balance lead extensions. im looking to get wire banana plugs balance plugs ect ect. where do you guys buy this stuff. my LHS is ridiculously priced on these items so i have turned to the internet. i looked on hobbyking.com but just dont want to have to wait forever for shipping. anywhere in the US that has all the stuff for good prices? thanks
Old 02-03-2013, 07:37 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Ummmmmm amainhobbies.com?
Old 02-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I get my wire and plugs at Brooker Tracker RC.
Best pro-shopin California.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

TQRacing.com or TeamTekin.com

Anytime I order something from Tekin I get a few feet of there wire... I get all my plugs from TQ.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I go to my LHS they carry Deans "wet noddle" wire that is some the best wire out there. And have all the connectors a guy could ever want.
Old 02-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

try any car audio store for the wire, competition stereo wire is awsome stuff, if you bring your car in and talk about it they may just give you 2-3 feet for free.....

almost forgot something

Thanks again to my son's 2013 Sponsor
Creative Car Audio, Joplin, MO
Old 02-03-2013, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by turners dad
try any car audio store for the wire, competition stereo wire is awsome stuff, if you bring your car in and talk about it they may just give you 2-3 feet for free.....

almost forgot something

Thanks again to my son's 2013 Sponsor
Creative Car Audio, Joplin, MO
Usually car audio wire has PVC insulation, which is less flexible than silicone, and melts at temps low enough to melt from soldering. If you are really good at soldering, and have good soldering equipment, then you can get away with it. Although, with a lot of the wiring jobs you see on here, I would never mention the use of wire that is going to make wiring a car more difficult. If people can't handle wiring their car with easy to use silicone insulated wires, making it more difficult with meltable insulation, and less flexibility is the last thing they need.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
Usually car audio wire has PVC insulation, which is less flexible than silicone, and melts at temps low enough to melt from soldering. If you are really good at soldering, and have good soldering equipment, then you can get away with it. Although, with a lot of the wiring jobs you see on here, I would never mention the use of wire that is going to make wiring a car more difficult. If people can't handle wiring their car with easy to use silicone insulated wires, making it more difficult with meltable insulation, and less flexibility is the last thing they need.
Wow, thanks for re-affirming my awesomeness....lol
I know some of the wiring jobs on here do look like it was done by a monkey wearing boxing gloves, but the op asked for a cheap alternative to his lhs.
So with that being said, proceed with caution.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hobby King. Good prices on silicone wire and an assortment of conectors.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=9681
Old 02-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew
It is not only the PVC insulation that makes it less flxable. The wire strand count makes a large differance. With more thinner strands, the wire will be more flexable.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BCbud
It is not only the PVC insulation that makes it less flxable. The wire strand count makes a large differance. With more thinner strands, the wire will be more flexable.
ok i know i am opening myself up for more criticism over my choice of wire but here goes again.
the wire i use is Stinger competition 12ga, i am holding a pc of LRP silicone and a pc of Stinger.... without counting individual strands of each they are looking very similar in count, the Stinger wire is like the old Uniroyal 721 steel belted tires, there are many little wires making a strand, there are 7 strands.
as far as flexibility there is zero difference in the two brands, i am talking about competition wire here, not walmart brand welfare wire

but again, use it with caution
Old 02-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

"welfare wire" Isn't that a little harsh?? But what would you expect from a Xfactory guy...
Scosche also make some nice wire for stereo installs...

Yes I do have competition stereo back ground for the record. Also done installs for a few years.
Old 02-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

"Welfare Wire" Classic... gonna steal that some time...