Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Is there an explanation for the 1/10 4wd revival? >

Is there an explanation for the 1/10 4wd revival?

Is there an explanation for the 1/10 4wd revival?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Default Is there an explanation for the 1/10 4wd revival?

More and more kits are available.. What is causing this in your opinion? I thought the class was less popular than a few years ago. Now the choice is very hard, almost all the kits look good
Old 01-31-2013, 02:45 PM
Tech Prophet

Well i know its always been popular in Europe . So i can see new 4x4 buggys coming out but i have to clue how well they will sell here.

But here in the USA at least in some of the Northeast its been down for a long time very inconstant.

My local indoor track has 0 of them show up ever.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pulse_
More and more kits are available.. What is causing this in your opinion? I thought the class was less popular than a few years ago. Now the choice is very hard, almost all the kits look good
The revival in part results from a growing recogniition that the 4wd kits are more durable and more easily maintained in comparison to their ancestry.

Back in the day, 2wd and 4wd electric were the two premier offroad 1/10 electric classes. 2wd quickly predominated as these kits became more durable when their 4wd counterparts did not. Other classes were offered to fill the void of those who wanted to race something other than a 2wd buggy.

But there have always been wd enthusiasts as they're really a joy to race - just traditionally not so much to maintain and work on.

Now that they're getting easier to maintain and are more durable, people are coming back to the class.

My $.02.
Old 01-31-2013, 02:56 PM
Tech Champion

that makes sense! thanks

How is the cost compared to 2wd?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Time is right!

Well, the options are endless today which makes me think the industry is healthy allowing companies to entice us with new rigs.

I'm not sure that 4x4 ever really went away... When I was 16 in the mid nineties, it was a NICHE class. But there was a presence, for sure. It seemed like a black art, for pros and folks with the hook up to obtain the unusual and exotic replacement parts.

It seems to have been made more obtainable to the average racer because of the ease of today's race days.

10- 15 years ago your evening racing was taken up by tire cleaning, peak charging, discharging, motor spraying, crystal changing(!)
... all while attempting to keep your rigs dialed and replacing broken/worn parts.

Now we clean tires and charge batteries while maintaining the cars. Allowing for more time and money to put toward second and third classes.

I think that 4 wheel has always been there... just unobtainable from a casual racer's time frame and budget. At least, this is how I view racing 4 wheel as an adult.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

There will always be 4wd buggy due to the electric IFMAR off road worlds. The 8th off road worlds is over and next year is the 10th off road worlds so not a bad time to release new kits.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am glad for it, we have been having 3 heats at our track this winter! They are a blast to race.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)

Its cheaper than 8th scale.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Cause were alll burned out with whining cheating and costs of onroad so 4wd offroad is a pleasant change lol
Old 02-03-2013, 07:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I take 1st or 2nd every weekend club racing with a clapped out B44.1..We run 17.5 4x4 class indoors and to everyone's surprise always has a class or 3-6 racers. I've made it a point to do minimal maintenance/work to this rig until i replace it with a B44.2 someday and really haven't been disappointed. I have 17.5 motors to thank for minimal breakage and wear though