Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Thats good that you got them out .
I did not go that way for me mostly because i did not have a drill.

Il be honest the screws that come with the diffs are not that good.
It sucks that I have to postpone the build till tomorrow, hopefully my LHS has some screws similar but better, if not I'm going to head to home depot and pick up a few similar screws, I agree the screws that come in the kit for the diff. aren't good quality IMHO, I took my time w/ them and was very careful cause of reading others problems w/ them
Old 03-07-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yz167
What's your go to pinion size?
I just like following this thread so not 100% sure what you should start with on this truck, I run the tekno, but also ran the durango last year, I would gear it a tooth higher then a similar 4600 or 4700 4 pole, then go from there. Depending what esc you have the motor responds well to boost timing.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Yup i could of told you that one ! Hope you have a drill and a bit to get the strip one out .

Best thing to do is get the HPI screws the M2 ones i forgot the part number . But i used some tonight on my diffs and there much better omg big too ! You will still need to pretread the HD diff holes of course still.

I use HPI Z449 as screws for the diff housings since the 1.0 and never had a problem again with diff screws!

Good luck with the build! Still waiting on mine...
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hacker07
We are trying to find ways to provide the best hobby experience for our customers and this is new so we are figuring it out.
Ryan, If the horizon guys are looking for feedback, this customer says drop the whole hcp deal, I'm not liking it. I was at OCRC tonight and saw guys with finished 2.0's but I have to wait because I want to support the track and buy from them. Doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about Horizon.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:28 AM
Tech Master

I found some similar screws to fit the diff. housing and guess what, same thing they stripped, the female screw holes for the diff. housing are way too tight, there's no way to get the factory screws in there w/out any trouble, I'm not saying it's a bad kit but this is one of the flaws and hopefully after I fix the situation there's no more, after paying over 500$ out the door I didn't expect to have to postpone my build
Old 03-08-2013, 12:51 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by XRated SCT
I found some similar screws to fit the diff. housing and guess what, same thing they stripped, the female screw holes for the diff. housing are way too tight, there's no way to get the factory screws in there w/out any trouble, I'm not saying it's a bad kit but this is one of the flaws and hopefully after I fix the situation there's no more, after paying over 500$ out the door I didn't expect to have to postpone my build
As said, use the HPI Z449 screws they are a proven fix to the problem!
Enjoy your 2.0!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I had a tamiya 502 x and was told to tap every hole before inserting the screws, kit went together super nice, never a bad idea, get yourself a couple if your that worried
Old 03-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah what I did was put the screw in the female side of the diff. case and try to pre thread it and about 1/2 way the screw head stripped, I got the screws out no problem but I'm pretty upset how tight the female end was causing the heads to strip
I hope you're using a 1/16" and not a 1.5mm. They're close but the 1.5mm will strip it out.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Jedev
Ryan, If the horizon guys are looking for feedback, this customer says drop the whole hcp deal, I'm not liking it. I was at OCRC tonight and saw guys with finished 2.0's but I have to wait because I want to support the track and buy from them. Doesn't make me feel all warm and fuzzy about Horizon.
Agree totally. As a Small Shop owner and Track owner for 31 years it is very Sad. Only thing it done for us was boost Tekno sales. Some customers just went elsewhere.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Anyone put somthing on the bottom of the chassis to protect it from scratches? I'm thinking some sort of tape.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Grandturk
I hope you're using a 1/16" and not a 1.5mm. They're close but the 1.5mm will strip it out.
A lot of people's 1/16 are grinder down. I used to have 1/16 screw issues until I picked up the MIP tool, now it's always a perfect fit.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:35 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jedev
The whole reality of the situation is "Horizon is a business". Even know they sell cool toys. They would much rather you buy their products directly from them. Thats how they make the most money. Makes perfect business sence to me.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by yz167
Let me know how it goes TCCustoms, I'm hoping its an awesome motor that I won't even care about The HD but time will tell! Let me know where you end up on your pinion gear. 14 always seemed to be where I was at on the 1.0
You'll be good In the 14-16 range depending on if you run a lil timing or not.As you add the timing you go down on your pinion obviously
Old 03-08-2013, 06:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

are there the size hexes i should look for in my tools?

Hex: 0.035 in., 0.05 in., 1/16 in., 5/64 in., 3/32 in., 1/8 in., 5/32 in

Im use to building AE and Jammin / Ofna kits which im pretty sure run metric size screws?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Tell me about it

Whats worse is i dont have a drill or a bit to get it out just a cut off wheel with a dremel.
I even pre-threaded part of the way and it stripped. Lucky i used my power screw driver with a bit and it caught. Maybe the holes need opened a bit on the diffs with a one size up drill bit.

Also, I am not happy with the counter sinks on the chassis. The heads of the screws are not flush with the chassis, the heads stick out 1 mm, i do not know if this a a way to better protect the chassis, but the heads of the flat screw will wear away.

Last edited by maddog9; 03-08-2013 at 06:40 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.