Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

I agree with the gear method being more linear, but there could be an advantage in the tire size flux. Under throttle the front tires balloon, but they are closer to the same size as rear tires once you get up to speed. That would be much less drag once your are out of the corner. With different front and rear gear ratios fighting each other tires and drive line components suffer a lot more.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Just purchased a 2.0 highly upgraded. I'm sure this was covered, but is the 22 suspension a must or a preference.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Brandon Powell
Just purchased a 2.0 highly upgraded. I'm sure this was covered, but is the 22 suspension a must or a preference.
The 22 shocks are said to be much smoother and will lower your CG, as well as having superior seals. An added benefit to consider is the fact that you can interchange several parts with other 22 shock equipped vehicles within the TLR line.
The old shocks do work relatively well, but require more maintenance than I like in the long run, speaking from my personal experience.
I suppose as with any upgrade part, the importance is sort of dependent on the end users preference.
With that being stated and in my opinion, shock consistency is one of the most important things within any RC vehicle, so if your wallet supports the upgrade you can't really go wrong.
Other than your shocks, I would suggest you immediately install the rear diff alloy bearing carriers and center dog bone conversion to make things hassle free in the maintenance department while adding performance.
Once your ready for the pure performance increases, you should add on 15deg front carriers and finally a short drag link to get all the important things covered.
Old 01-15-2016, 12:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Center Dogbone Set Screw

Can anyone give me the size of the set screw that goes into the outdrives for the Dogbones. Its included in TLR332051 but i just need the set screw. Thanks!
Old 01-15-2016, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Looking at the shock pistons in my original 12mm SCTE 2.0 shocks, and comparing them to a friend's 22 shocks, it seems they are considerably thicker in height than the 22 series. But how much I am not exactly sure, but it looks to be roughly half a mm difference without actual calipers.
What was the reasoning behind the thicker piston to begin with?
Was it to help with extended shaft stability being that the SCTE shock was longer, or to increase volume to create more pack?
Or both?
Reason being, when reading back on one of Casper's post discussing comparability from these and the new 22 pistons I recall him stating a certain 22 piston being the equivalent to to one of the older numbered pistons relevant to hole size.
But with a thickness increase, what would the offset formula be roughly to account for the thickness flow values of one thinner and one thicker?

Also, wouldn't it make more sense to have stayed with a thicker piston to negate wear and retain a better consistency from shaft bind to get a more consistent vertical slide?
If not, please explain how this wouldn't matter?
I unfortunately don't have the 22 shocks to test things, but I do know that with a VRP piston that is said to be equal to the 22 thickness, there is considerably more shaft flex when they are installed in my original 2.0 shocks.

Further more, can you buy the old thicker piston blanks, and if so will they still fit the newer 22 shaft and still provide enough thread bite and top clearance for the lock nut?
Old 01-15-2016, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh L
Further more, can you buy the old thicker piston blanks, and if so will they still fit the newer 22 shaft and still provide enough thread bite and top clearance for the lock nut?
The 22 shocks use e-clips to retain the piston, so you can't use anything thicker. The 22 shocks really are better, though. I can't speculate as to what piston thickness does, but the bottom seal on the 22 shocks greatly increases the stability of the shock shaft through its travel.

I have the 22 3.0 and the 22SCT 2.0. I'm still running the stock shocks on my SCTE, but if I ever need to replace a shock body, cap, or tower, I'll probably just make the jump and get the 22 conversion kit.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Callaway
The 22 shocks use e-clips to retain the piston, so you can't use anything thicker. The 22 shocks really are better, though. I can't speculate as to what piston thickness does, but the bottom seal on the 22 shocks greatly increases the stability of the shock shaft through its travel.

I have the 22 3.0 and the 22SCT 2.0. I'm still running the stock shocks on my SCTE, but if I ever need to replace a shock body, cap, or tower, I'll probably just make the jump and get the 22 conversion kit.
Appreciate that info.
In the way you described it, the only way perceivable to run a thicker piston I suppose would be to create a counter sink from the bottom of the piston so it would droop down and around the shaft stop with the extra half mm.
The down side to doing that would be to loose a half mm of over all extension travel however.
Anyhow, if they are as smooth acting as the way you described them, I guess it's just not necessary to even consider any thickness increase.
The bottom caps must be a much larger improvement than I have been imagining.
Looks like I'll be decreasing the size of my money roll pretty soon!
Old 01-16-2016, 04:41 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jfbanks86
Can anyone give me the size of the set screw that goes into the outdrives for the Dogbones. Its included in TLR332051 but i just need the set screw. Thanks!
LOSA6293 - 8-32 x 1/4 Cup Joint Screws

You can almost always find what your looking for with the exploded view, or in the manual that is always available on the TRL website

SCTE 2.0 Exploded.pdf

Lastly, if you get the idea to buy your own from another manufacturer, you had better make sure they are 12.9 grade hardened steel or you might run into problems.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

LOSA6293 - 8-32 x 1/4 Cup Joint Screws

You can almost always find what your looking for with the exploded view, or in the manual that is always available on the TRL website

SCTE 2.0 Exploded.pdf

Lastly, if you get the idea to buy your own from another manufacturer, you had better make sure they are 12.9 grade hardened steel or you might run into problems.
Thanks for the info, for some reason when i was installing the dogbones i felt like the new set screws were smaller.
Old 01-17-2016, 11:30 AM
Tech Adept

Hello everyone. I've just made the switch from Durango to Tlr and starting with a new SCTE 2.0 kit. I'd like to pick up a spring kit and just saw one advertised locally. I'm not sure if they are for 1.0 or 2.0. Could anyone tell me if 1.0 springs would be compatible with 2.0?

Also, I was just reading back a few pages and looks like 22 shock conversion is a popular upgrade. Would my new kit have these shocks? I'm not sure of the differences. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2016, 02:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Spring kits are the same for 1.0 and 2.0.

22 shock conversion is not included with the kits. Separate upgrade.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:36 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by fordohio
Spring kits are the same for 1.0 and 2.0.

22 shock conversion is not included with the kits. Separate upgrade.
Ok thanks.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Sticky?

Is it possible to create a sticky post on the front page? I have been reading through and there is a lot of great discussions that will answer questions immediately. I too have just bought a 2.0 kit and am racing it in our Grass Roots series here in the Inland Empire. I would love to be competitive right out the gate and not do the trial by fire like I did with nitro.
Much appreciated!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:49 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Giulitto
Is it possible to create a sticky post on the front page? I have been reading through and there is a lot of great discussions that will answer questions immediately. I too have just bought a 2.0 kit and am racing it in our Grass Roots series here in the Inland Empire. I would love to be competitive right out the gate and not do the trial by fire like I did with nitro.
Much appreciated!
Are you wanting an upgrade and compatibility section? Sorta like the way Tekno has done with their 410.3 here> 410.3 front page
Old 01-19-2016, 04:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Are you wanting an upgrade and compatibility section? Sorta like the way Tekno has done with their 410.3 here> 410.3 front page
That is a lot of good info on their page. Would be great on our front page along with tips, tricks, the small details that you have all learned for this vehicle in one spot.
Thank you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.