R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2016, 04:02 PM   #8836
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobob89 View Post
Just converted my diffs to oil, my ring gears are almost brand new and there seems to be a rough spot on the ring gear when the housing is assembled. Iv inspected the ring and pinion and cant see anything wrong with them. Is this normal? Will it smooth out with some runs or am i doing something wrong?
Maybe wanna check your shimming again. I had the same problem at first, and adjusting the shims helped a little, but in the end I just ended up running the crap out of it and that all went away.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:10 PM   #8837
Tech Apprentice
 
tacobob89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Maybe wanna check your shimming again. I had the same problem at first, and adjusting the shims helped a little, but in the end I just ended up running the crap out of it and that all went away.
All the parts are fresh, I have no shims in it. Housing and gears have maybe 30 mins on them. Before this current build that is. If the screws arent tightened on the housing theres no roughness, once the 4 screws are tightened that hold the housing together there one rough spot on ring gear. I can tell its between the ring and pinion and not rubbing the housing. Maybe just needs broke in?
tacobob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #8838
Tech Apprentice
 
tacobob89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 62
Default

And theres not much slop at all, im afraid if i put a shim inbetween the diff bearing and diff case it will bind the bearings pretty bad.
tacobob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:06 PM   #8839
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResultsRC View Post
I modded my previous scte with some losi 2.0 balls,but struggled getting them to work on the outer hubs also. I used some mip links for steering,but the screws were a pain on the steering rack Tried the losi HA balls,they are better but not worth the effort,steel is only whay to go imho.I always wondered why the losi 8 2.0 buggy used the smaller balls and ends,and all the other losi and other brands used the bigger ones?I had to use teflon tape on screws that went through the balls to really get them tight.someone has to make more precise fit balls and screws than this. my stock tekno 410 is crazy tight precise with stock parts and seems to never wear out,but those ends will not work on the scte


I have another scte that needs tightening up,can someone post the parts #s to all the parts needed to do so including the screws and nuts for these cen balls,as well as the losi 2.0 plastic ends I got way more durability outa those plastics than the stock ends.do the cen balls fit inside the steering rack? trying to order all these parts at local hs is a pain without part numbers.... this should be a sticky on first page info if someone has all the part #s needed to do so
Someone has these part #s floating around their pit box. Also anyone know if there is a better seal for the diffs that will work as good as the xray washers do in them. I ran the xray washers for close to 100 packs and they look perfect but the seals are still leaking in both front and rear diffs on the motor side of truck.
ResultsRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:24 PM   #8840
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelio279 View Post
I read somewhere - not sure where now, maybe the 1.0 thread - that the Amain Protek Mugen Diff O-Rings worked well. I just installed them in the center diff and they fit fine. Can't really comment yet if they are better than stock Losi ones though. Part number PTK-1001
so how did these seals work out for you long term,says protek made them thicker and they seal better long term. Does protek make shock seals that will work in the scte shocks?
ResultsRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:27 PM   #8841
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobob89 View Post
And theres not much slop at all, im afraid if i put a shim inbetween the diff bearing and diff case it will bind the bearings pretty bad.
I know exactly what you mean. Mine did that to. When I pulled on the pinion outdrive it would relieve just enough pressure to make it go away also when turning it by hand. It really bothered me at first, cause I am OCD with stuff like this, but I just finally ignored it since there wasn't anything I could do about it really and it went away completely after several runs.
I guess as you suggested, it just has to be broke in a bit.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #8842
Tech Apprentice
 
tacobob89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
I know exactly what you mean. Mine did that to. When I pulled on the pinion outdrive it would relieve just enough pressure to make it go away also when turning it by hand. It really bothered me at first, cause I am OCD with stuff like this, but I just finally ignored it since there wasn't anything I could do about it really and it went away completely after several runs.
I guess as you suggested, it just has to be broke in a bit.
Thanks for the help and responses all!
tacobob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 06:59 PM   #8843
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

use a little bit of toothpaste instead of grease on the ring gear,shim it tight on front of the bevel gear and shim as tight as you can get it to fit in the case,it will run quite quick and never develop backlash gear slop
ResultsRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #8844
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,731
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobob89 View Post
Just converted my diffs to oil, my ring gears are almost brand new and there seems to be a rough spot on the ring gear when the housing is assembled. Iv inspected the ring and pinion and cant see anything wrong with them. Is this normal? Will it smooth out with some runs or am i doing something wrong?
Sometimes you will find a rough spot. IT should be find and run in.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 4.0 SR, TLR 22T 3.0 (laydown), TLR 22-4 2.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 09:55 PM   #8845
Tech Apprentice
 
tacobob89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Sometimes you will find a rough spot. IT should be find and run in.
Thanks for the reply, I will put a few good practice sessions on them and recheck.
tacobob89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:59 AM   #8846
Tech Adept
 
waffleNchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 143
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I recently installed the overdrive ring and pinion in my 3.0e and have fallen in love with it..... Is there such a set up for this truck? I have searched a bit, but on a mobile results aren't always the best....

If no overdrive for front, is there an under drive for the rear?
waffleNchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:24 AM   #8847
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,731
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacobob89 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I will put a few good practice sessions on them and recheck.
It seems to be a little hit or miss on guys that find that hang up point. I had it on my truck and it worked itself out pretty quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleNchicken View Post
I recently installed the overdrive ring and pinion in my 3.0e and have fallen in love with it..... Is there such a set up for this truck? I have searched a bit, but on a mobile results aren't always the best....

If no overdrive for front, is there an under drive for the rear?
I am not aware of anyone that had done this for the SCTE yet.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 4.0 SR, TLR 22T 3.0 (laydown), TLR 22-4 2.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #8848
Tech Adept
 
waffleNchicken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 143
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post

I am not aware of anyone that had done this for the SCTE yet.

That is unfortunate. The little bit of extra drive in the front of the 3.0 sure made a difference.

Maybe there is another brand ring and pinion that will fit and give me the gearing difference I'm after? Do you know, Casper?
waffleNchicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #8849
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,731
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleNchicken View Post
That is unfortunate. The little bit of extra drive in the front of the 3.0 sure made a difference.

Maybe there is another brand ring and pinion that will fit and give me the gearing difference I'm after? Do you know, Casper?
Like I said I am not aware of anyone doing this for the Ten series.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 4.0 SR, TLR 22T 3.0 (laydown), TLR 22-4 2.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 PM   #8850
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffleNchicken View Post
That is unfortunate. The little bit of extra drive in the front of the 3.0 sure made a difference.

Maybe there is another brand ring and pinion that will fit and give me the gearing difference I'm after? Do you know, Casper?
Just go up on front diff oil a little. It will give you what you are after. 1k or 2k should get it done.
Austin's dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:08 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net