R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 05-05-2015, 04:12 AM   #8206
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I am weird about my wires, and how they run and look, I found these little clips that have 2 sided tape on one side that I stick on the chassis where needed and then use a wire tie and they are held in place. I'll look and see if I can find a link.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cable-tie-holders/=x1pbb3 these do not have the tape but are exactly what I use lust add your own 2 sided tape.
Braxamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:17 AM   #8207
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yeah I totally get it! Not only am I'm nervous about shorting out one component but then frying whatever else is connected to it at the same time would be horrible! shorts = lipo fires or something like that lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braxamus View Post
I am weird about my wires, and how they run and look, I found these little clips that have 2 sided tape on one side that I stick on the chassis where needed and then use a wire tie and they are held in place. I'll look and see if I can find a link.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#cable-tie-holders/=x1pbb3 these do not have the tape but are exactly what I use lust add your own 2 sided tape.
claytrackstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:25 AM   #8208
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
2x10mm pins for CVDs and hex.

McMaster Carr # 91595A026
50 pins for $7.36

Enough for a few guys to share a bag.
2x9.8mm, Kyosho makes a good pin, not as cheap but no work required.
Past Winning Kits: Losi 8ight 1.0, Losi 8ight 2.0, Serpent 811 BE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 3.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0, TLR 8ight 4.0 2017, Losi LST 2.0, Kyosho ST-RR, Losi 8ight-T 2.0, TLR 8ight-T 3.0, TLR SCTE 1.0, TLR SCTE 2.0
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 06:33 AM   #8209
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Found them, Thanks

Kyosho 2x9.8mm Pin (5)
[KYO97018-098] $2.89

Kyosho quality is always very good IMO
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 11:40 PM   #8210
Tech Adept

If I'm running a fan on my motor, should I tune with the fan off and then use it just to keep things extra cool? That way I don't fry the motor if the fan dies on me?
Old 05-06-2015, 06:16 AM   #8211
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

i would gear with no fan installed. then with fan be extra cool. i never run a fan. if you need a fan on your motor your gearing.....etc.. is wrong
robbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 06:40 AM   #8212
Tech Adept

Good point! I picked up a used package that had the center support and fan installed. I'm not sure I want to run the fan but you know I'm like well its there so.... Lol Thanks for the input!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
i would gear with no fan installed. then with fan be extra cool. i never run a fan. if you need a fan on your motor your gearing.....etc.. is wrong
Old 05-06-2015, 06:46 PM   #8213
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytrackstar View Post
Good point! I picked up a used package that had the center support and fan installed. I'm not sure I want to run the fan but you know I'm like well its there so.... Lol Thanks for the input!
np. i feel ya on that. its just more clutter to me. dont take that as being rude. sort of like dealing with your wife. less is more lol
robbieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:47 PM   #8214
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
Kyosho quality is always very good IMO
Not to bring up a sore subject or anything, but...
Gil Losi himself was in charge of "Kyosho America" regarding product quality control and R&D from what I understand. If that is in fact still the case, then it's sort of ironic that one would use Kyosho parts on a Losi vehicle.

Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:58 PM   #8215
Tech Adept

Or sometimes more is more, like the HD 4300! lol!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbieg View Post
np. i feel ya on that. its just more clutter to me. dont take that as being rude. sort of like dealing with your wife. less is more lol
Old 05-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #8216
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrzejski2 View Post
Hey guys, I'm new here, I just got an SCTE 2.0 because I visited NorCal hobbies while on a business trip/interview (actually will be relocating to San Jose pretty soon) and I really want to get into racing. Bashing has been tons of fun, but trying to constantly turn a quicker lap is like a drug for me.

Anyway, I'll probably have more questions in the future, but I've got two for right now.

1) bought a j concepts chassis protector sheet and cut it out - one little session later, it started peeling off.. Do most people here constantly buy new chassis protectors or d a lot of people just say to hell with having a clean chassis?

2) what size is the nut that is used on a lot of suspension linkages and stuff.. I'm guessing it's standard, but most of my StuffIt metric and I want to order the right wrench.

Thanks again guys and looking forward to participating.
Hi Andrzejski2, and welcome to the thread.
I personally have not used the chassis protectors, but I am familiar with sticker vinyl/phone protector type materials and the applications since I used to run a vinyl sticker business. With that being said, I cannot speak for the types or quality offered by these companies for said application.
However, I can tell you that it might have failed do to not hot washing or using denatured alcohol to prep the chassis surface from any possible contaminants, such as anodizing residues or any other sort of oily or powder substrates that may have been on there.
If you did in-fact wash it down well, then it could be the fault of the products adhesion properties due to a number of instances.
You may want to try overlapping the material a little bit more over the front bumper guard, as not to catch and peel the edge as easily on rougher landings.
I doubt they are intended to last to long, due to the fact people will often dissemble the plate from the other parts to service things like the diffs. If there are holes for the screws in the protector, then it will fail more quickly regardless. The whole business of sticker protectors seems a bit redundant in practicality to the point I can't see any real justification in paying for an over priced sticker, but that is just my two cents.

As for the shock nut types on the 2.0, your kit includes a small cast metal nut driver that will cover all of them well. So you don't really need any other tools.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:44 PM   #8217
Tech Adept

Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but the main reason I have begun to use chassis protectors is to maintain resale value. A nice chassis and screws that aren't ground down can potentially increase value down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
Hi Andrzejski2, and welcome to the thread.
I personally have not used the chassis protectors, but I am familiar with sticker vinyl/phone protector type materials and the applications since I used to run a vinyl sticker business. With that being said, I cannot speak for the types or quality offered by these companies for said application.
However, I can tell you that it might have failed do to not hot washing or using denatured alcohol to prep the chassis surface from any possible contaminants, such as anodizing residues or any other sort of oily or powder substrates that may have been on there.
If you did in-fact wash it down well, then it could be the fault of the products adhesion properties due to a number of instances.
You may want to try overlapping the material a little bit more over the front bumper guard, as not to catch and peel the edge as easily on rougher landings.
I doubt they are intended to last to long, due to the fact people will often dissemble the plate from the other parts to service things like the diffs. If there are holes for the screws in the protector, then it will fail more quickly regardless. The whole business of sticker protectors seems a bit redundant in practicality to the point I can't see any real justification in paying for an over priced sticker, but that is just my two cents.

As for the shock nut types on the 2.0, your kit includes a small cast metal nut driver that will cover all of them well. So you don't really need any other tools.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:46 PM   #8218
Tech Adept

Oh! and I also hate having to dremel screws to slot them for removal after the heads have been ground down. That being said, alot of my indoor cars run chassis protectors in order to save wear and tear but my bashers generally see terrain that would tear through the film quickly and its not practical to replace film that often IMO.
Quote:
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here but the main reason I have begun to use chassis protectors is to maintain resale value. A nice chassis and screws that aren't ground down can potentially increase value down the road.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:23 AM   #8219
Tech Initiate
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Thanks for the replies guys! I originally wanted to put the chassis protector on there to try to preserve value down the road; however, between when I posted that and now, I think I've come to the conclusion that the chassis is just gonna be how it's gonna be, scratched up or not :x

Anyway, mine is still kind of hanging on, but I doubt it will much longer. I've probably put 7 or 8 packs through it now and I'm running on a poorly kept outdoor track with occasional rocks (gravel) mixed in. Not exactly bashing, but not running on an indoor clay track either.
Andrzejski2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #8220
Tech Addict

Quote:
I understand your reasoning. What I said is just my personal opinion. I don't know how long they would last for my area tracks, but if they only last a few races and cost what they seem to be selling for, it just seems to me that would most likely end up costing the same as just replacing a few screw and eventually a pan. Only without the hassle In between. I personally have never worried about resale value on a race vehicle, as when I'm ready to sell it, it will go cheap most likely due to there being something new out that may potentially leave my last obsolete in the eyes of the public.