R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #8146
Tech Addict
 
Dan.J's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S/W lower Michigan
Posts: 748
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignishen View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Out of curiosity what is the stock angle for this piece? I assume that the 15* improves steering in some way?
10* I believe
__________________
Tekno EB48.3/Tekno EB48SL/Tekno SCT410.3
Dan.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #8147
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignishen View Post
Thanks for the quick reply! Out of curiosity what is the stock angle for this piece? I assume that the 15* improves steering in some way?
The 15 deg uprights should give more stability and on power steering. I'm running them on high bite sugar track and they're great. Makes the truck easier to drive. But I didn't like them on low to med bite for my driving style which is more point and shoot.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #8148
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan.J View Post
^^^^^LOL I was wondering when you were going to get tired of the back and forth game of the big brains!
Lol.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:01 PM   #8149
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
You just joined and have 30 posts, and you're trying to impress us with your big brain. Lol. I get it. Just the fact that you don't understand why a truck would push off power is telling. If you took the time to read even the last couple months of posts you would see that the biggest complaint about steering is push on corner entry. And a lot of the time it's related to mechanical problems with that specific truck. Like the issues I pointed out.

There is a thread here about roll center tuning. Lots of brain flexing going on over there. Will help you show how smart you are and up your post count.
So this is a game of post count and minion back ups huh?
I guess if it was votes it might be more accountable for your argument.
You seem to assume a lot for the prestige of aerospace CMM programmer, and that is what is "telling" in my opinion. You can sound smart with book sense, but no common sense what so ever. Run into that all the time.

Further more, you can call it push all you want and so can the majority for all I care, but it's an incorrect terminology regardless of who the authority thinks they are.
Inertial energy doesn't push, but in fact pulls like a gravitational unit. If a chassis doesn't follow the roll out on "off power" and slides by the line of steering, then it was done so because of parasitic loss through the diffs or is a bind in traction from over steer or (ie. improper castor degree) causing a redundant effect.
And I am quite aware of the issues people are having in regard to what has been posted. I did read the entire thread and I am not against the idea that the mechanical turn radius and possibly castor angle is ONE of the issues, hence the reason I suggested the alloy spindle carriers a few post back.
However I am also aware of this truck being a major winner all over the country. So maybe, just maybe there are some variables that aren't considered enough and some people just don't like the fact there is no singular magic solution to the issue, rather an accumulation of several.
So you can go on with your "big brain show off" theory all you want. It won't change the fact I'm right about what I'm talking about.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 05:30 PM   #8150
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Josh I'm sorry I didn't even read your whole post. Just enough to see you did some research on me to know what I do for a living. I'm flattered. Kind of creepy but maybe thats how you roll. We deal with toy cars here and how to make them go faster. Stop reading so many books and researching "winning setups" and spend more time at the track.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies

Last edited by rcgod; 04-26-2015 at 11:14 PM.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #8151
Tech Regular
 
lowspark's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 287
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Someone pass the popcorn please....
__________________
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness".

Tekno SCT410.3 / Tekin RX8 Gen3 / Tekin Pro-4 HD 4300 / Savox 1268 servo / Spectrum DX5R
lowspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 09:34 PM   #8152
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 254
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
I read that these TLR Front spindle carriers are supposed to increase steering throw. They are pretty pricey ups, but I plan to get them for that reason alone.
Also as for any race car, the steering responsiveness can be found in the rear wheel toe degree more than the fronts. Take a degree or two out if your running a tight track and you should notice a drastic difference, but keep in mind your strait line tracking stability under power will be less.
When I had a monster truck years back, I had found everyone to be running a 0 deg front toe and -2 rear, but I could run a 0 toe rear and -1 front toe and it seemed to out perform a lot of the other trucks in the same regard.
I have the 15 deg tlr carriers and recently tried a set of integy carriers I got from a member here who said matt with mip recommended them in his setups. The truck has crazy steering with them. Im using the new 2.3 thick sway bar,and a ton of shims to tighten up the front spindles,billet steering rack.dremel work all over front end. I use to really like a ton of steering on our old track, high bite blue groove,but now since it started eating tires badly we tilled it and run it more soft and wetter,Im chasing the rear end all over the place,drifting much more,tried a few tires but havnt locked on to anything great yet. even with the steering end points set up less aggressive,im still sliding way to much. prolly mostly a tire thing,maybe 3d's or dejavus will do a lil better next. something to dig into the top layer and past the wet loose stuff that clogs up many diff tire types quick.
ResultsRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #8153
Tech Master
 
BmainStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pullin in,ca.
Posts: 1,812
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

A six pound truck pushes off power,,,, because its a six pound truck!! Tire selection is done at the track you run,most people with half a brain will figure out what tire to run within the 1st couple times at a given track.Getting on throttle with the right amount of rear traction will roll the truck thru most corners with very little push on power, off power (slow down and run the right tires!!)I have never run the front sway bar on this truck or any 4 whl drive r/c
I do think its funny that rcgod is a inspector in a machine shop cuz I am a CNC machinist. We work for a living making things in this country which is rare these days.Its a toy car get over it!!!!!
__________________
Toy Car Playerz
West Coast
BmainStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #8154
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmainStar View Post
A six pound truck pushes off power,,,, because its a six pound truck!! Tire selection is done at the track you run,most people with half a brain will figure out what tire to run within the 1st couple times at a given track.Getting on throttle with the right amount of rear traction will roll the truck thru most corners with very little push on power, off power (slow down and run the right tires!!)I have never run the front sway bar on this truck or any 4 whl drive r/c
I do think its funny that rcgod is a inspector in a machine shop cuz I am a CNC machinist. We work for a living making things in this country which is rare these days.Its a toy car get over it!!!!!
Careful. Josh might tag you as one of my minions. ☺
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #8155
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
Josh I'm sorry I didn't even read your whole post. Just enough to see you did some research on me to know what I do for a living. I'm flattered. Kind of creepy but maybe thats how you roll. Now go away and stfu. We deal with toy cars here and how to make them go faster. Stop reading so many books and researching "winning setups" and spend more time at the track.
You posted your profile on a public forum and listed your job there.
You know... Like practically everyone does on forums. No research needed past that.
Your job interest me so I remembered it because I to have a background in aerospace i am passionate about. I don't find anything creepy about that, and I doubt anyone else would either unless to be irrationally assuming, patronizing or derogatory as you've chosen to be.
And yes your right, these are toys in the regards of personal use. But I find the statement intention to be undermining and pretty stupid for the amount of R&D, cost, and the science that goes into these said "toys" from which this forum stands and we all pay for to get beyond "toy" performance.
And stop with the assumptions already. While I am new to the SC world, I am no rookie with RC anything and have plenty of engineering and fabrication skills, flight and track time to back that up.
(STFU and go away)... Really?
Coming from the "rcgod" who apparently runs this joint with the divine post count, that really hurts.
We both know you wouldn't talk to people like that in person, so why do it behind a keyboard? Anyhow, seriously I hope to see you at a track someday where the hostility will surely subside to personal competition. Which kind will be up to you.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:20 PM   #8156
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResultsRC View Post
I have the 15 deg tlr carriers and recently tried a set of integy carriers I got from a member here who said matt with mip recommended them in his setups. The truck has crazy steering with them. Im using the new 2.3 thick sway bar,and a ton of shims to tighten up the front spindles,billet steering rack.dremel work all over front end. I use to really like a ton of steering on our old track, high bite blue groove,but now since it started eating tires badly we tilled it and run it more soft and wetter,Im chasing the rear end all over the place,drifting much more,tried a few tires but havnt locked on to anything great yet. even with the steering end points set up less aggressive,im still sliding way to much. prolly mostly a tire thing,maybe 3d's or dejavus will do a lil better next. something to dig into the top layer and past the wet loose stuff that clogs up many diff tire types quick.
Interesting about the integy type, I will have to pick a set up to what the difference is for me. Thanks for the lead and good luck on the tire selection, there are so many to choose from for sure.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:38 PM   #8157
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh L View Post
You posted your profile on a public forum and listed your job there.
You know... Like practically everyone does on forums. No research needed past that.
Your job interest me so I remembered it because I to have a background in aerospace i am passionate about. I don't find anything creepy about that, and I doubt anyone else would either unless to be irrationally assuming, patronizing or derogatory as you've chosen to be.
And yes your right, these are toys in the regards of personal use. But I find the statement intention to be undermining and pretty stupid for the amount of R&D, cost, and the science that goes into these said "toys" from which this forum stands and we all pay for to get beyond "toy" performance.
And stop with the assumptions already. While I am new to the SC world, I am no rookie with RC anything and have plenty of engineering and fabrication skills, flight and track time to back that up.
(STFU and go away)... Really?
Coming from the "rcgod" who apparently runs this joint with the divine post count, that really hurts.
We both know you wouldn't talk to people like that in person, so why do it behind a keyboard? Anyhow, seriously I hope to see you at a track someday where the hostility will surely subside to personal competition. Which kind will be up to you.
I don't run this "joint". I'm just not afraid to call out guys like you who want to argue over the difference between theoretical handling and real world handling. You are obviously a smart guy and probably an engineer. But when you come here and start second guessing what some of us know from actually trying it on the track, arguing with what you learned by reading a setup guide, then you're going to rub people the wrong way. If you actually tried your example of reducing rear toe, you would realize that it might or might not give more off power steering. There are other variables. Nothing is set in stone, especially when you're talking about a top heavy sc truck.

And anything I say here I have no problem saying to your face. So don't insinuate I'm hiding behind a keyboard. If you ever come to Cali I'll have no problem backing that up.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:51 PM   #8158
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmainStar View Post
A six pound truck pushes off power,,,, because its a six pound truck!! Tire selection is done at the track you run,most people with half a brain will figure out what tire to run within the 1st couple times at a given track.Getting on throttle with the right amount of rear traction will roll the truck thru most corners with very little push on power, off power (slow down and run the right tires!!)I have never run the front sway bar on this truck or any 4 whl drive r/c
I do think its funny that rcgod is a inspector in a machine shop cuz I am a CNC machinist. We work for a living making things in this country which is rare these days.Its a toy car get over it!!!!!
Look I am not trying to get into anymore arguments. But inertial energy, as in the type from any moving object artificially slowing down is not a push. I'm sorry but that is ballistic physics explained within classical mechanics, not my concoction. It's ok if you don't want to believe what I am saying, and I understand what your talking about regardless of what we agree on in correctness of the termed explanation.
Also I never argued one way or the other about sway bars. That also depends on many variables. Yours obviously doesn't need one for your preference.
As for the tire selection, it is not always that simple for everyone. Seen plenty of people struggle with finding the right combinations. Some folks run what they thought was good for months until they figured out a better setup. It all depends on what setup you have that could determine whether you run a hard, medium or soft compound on all four feet or a mixture of the two from front to back.
I have seen plenty of opposing compound setups that all worked equally well, depending on the singular racer's style and car balance.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 PM   #8159
Tech Addict
 
Josh L's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Greenville VA
Posts: 665
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
I don't run this "joint". I'm just not afraid to call out guys like you who want to argue over the difference between theoretical handling and real world handling. You are obviously a smart guy and probably an engineer. But when you come here and start second guessing what some of us know from actually trying it on the track, arguing with what you learned by reading a setup guide, then you're going to rub people the wrong way. If you actually tried your example of reducing rear toe, you would realize that it might or might not give more off power steering. There are other variables. Nothing is set in stone, especially when you're talking about a top heavy sc truck.

And anything I say here I have no problem saying to your face. So don't insinuate I'm hiding behind a keyboard. If you ever come to Cali I'll have no problem backing that up.
Fair enough. We can leave it at that then.
Josh L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 12:15 AM   #8160
Tech Master
 
BmainStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pullin in,ca.
Posts: 1,812
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Josh I hope You work night shift cuz its gettn late!!Did not quote you but yes was tryin to defend rc a bit and add what i know of this rig.All I can say is dont over think it and use terms we r/c car guys cant understand.Push in an r/c car means push very simple,not the correct engineering term for whats happening but you get the Jist!!!Thats all,Thanx for your insight !Cheers!
__________________
Toy Car Playerz
West Coast
BmainStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:28 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net