R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes

Old 04-19-2014, 08:38 PM   #6556
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Bone plunge is when the drive shaft moves into the out drive when the suspension is compressed.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #6557
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Actually in my world bone plunge is when, awww forget it....
Kyosho RT6 mid...
SoCalMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #6558
Tech Initiate

I was about to order one of the drag link kits that has bearings, and ran into soemthing I want to try and understand. I saw that some folks are offering a short or long drag link kit. I am not sure whether stock would be considered short or long (but I would think long), but I wanted to make sure I understand this right. Is the long going to have more ackerman? That would only seam logical to me.
RMabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:03 PM   #6559
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMabus View Post
I was about to order one of the drag link kits that has bearings, and ran into soemthing I want to try and understand. I saw that some folks are offering a short or long drag link kit. I am not sure whether stock would be considered short or long (but I would think long), but I wanted to make sure I understand this right. Is the long going to have more ackerman? That would only seam logical to me.
Stock was the long one on my rigs. Hope that helps. You will like the ball bearing ackerman. I prefer the short one for quicker steering, but depends on what you like. I used the long one 2 years before the swap to short.
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #6560
Tech Regular

Guys, anybody running these?

MIP "Pucks" TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Center Drive System Pro4mance Pack
MIP13120

I'm running full Tekno shafts but these look good for the centre shafts, would like any feedback on them, are they much lighter?

Are they working well?

Worth the cash?

Cheers.
Losi SCTE #8NZ-2014 Tekin-savox-Tekno
S Workz 350BK1 electric converted Tekin-savox
ST RR Truggy #8NZ-2014 electric converted Tekin-savox
SC10 Tekin-savox
Baja 5B dirt mod-2015 Summer Slam Champion.
RossNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 05:59 AM   #6561
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossNZ View Post

MIP13120

I'm running full Tekno shafts but these look good for the centre shafts, would like any feedback on them, are they much lighter?

Are they working well?

Worth the cash?

Cheers.
Yes, I run this setup. It's buttery smooth and without slop. A bag of replacement puck is a few bucks, so don't worry if a puck eventually wears out. And as an FYI, I also run the KingHeadz center diff pieces as well, which is also buttery smooth. Not sure how light they are compared to Tekno shafts, or if they will make you faster, but I like them.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:20 AM   #6562
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The puck center shafts are nice, I'm also running them with the king headz mounts and it makes for a super smooth drive train. Amain has them for $55 I think.

60% of the time it works everytime
rivalshad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:55 PM   #6563
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default MIP Pucks Last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RossNZ View Post

MIP13120

Are they working well?

Worth the cash?

Cheers.
This is about as honest as I can be about it. I use the MIP Pucks. They are perfect for a track only rig if you only race, work on your car often and don't mind the extra maintenance. However, if you bash and don't like to work on your rig much, go tekno.

I'm torn myself. I only race and the plastic pucks and CV pins require maintenance long before the diffs need an oil change. The front drive cup shows a lot of wear after 40 runs and are trash if you ever let the plastic pucks wear out. The parts to keep it in top shape are not too high, but the extra work and parts increase operating cost. The Pucks System would be much better if the plastic pucks and CV pins lasted 50 to 70 lipos. Then I could replace them at the same time I do the diffs. Same for the drive cups. Looks like the front drive cup is done after 50 runs. The drive cups need to be a little stronger, harden in some way. The CVD pins need to be larger as well. The wt saved here is not the best tradeoff IMHO. I would prefer the parts weighed a little more and lasted a little longer. I think we need a MIP HD Puck System That's the ticket and you heard it here first!
Thunder Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:37 AM   #6564
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Trail View Post
This is about as honest as I can be about it. I use the MIP Pucks. They are perfect for a track only rig if you only race, work on your car often and don't mind the extra maintenance. However, if you bash and don't like to work on your rig much, go tekno.

I'm torn myself. I only race and the plastic pucks and CV pins require maintenance long before the diffs need an oil change. The front drive cup shows a lot of wear after 40 runs and are trash if you ever let the plastic pucks wear out. The parts to keep it in top shape are not too high, but the extra work and parts increase operating cost. The Pucks System would be much better if the plastic pucks and CV pins lasted 50 to 70 lipos. Then I could replace them at the same time I do the diffs. Same for the drive cups. Looks like the front drive cup is done after 50 runs. The drive cups need to be a little stronger, harden in some way. The CVD pins need to be larger as well. The wt saved here is not the best tradeoff IMHO. I would prefer the parts weighed a little more and lasted a little longer. I think we need a MIP HD Puck System That's the ticket and you heard it here first!
Great info, just the kind of opinion l am looking for, l have the king heads motor mounts and run all tekno shafts, they are lasting great, been making the truck lighter and thought these would help, can't find any weight listed for them tho.
Losi SCTE #8NZ-2014 Tekin-savox-Tekno
S Workz 350BK1 electric converted Tekin-savox
ST RR Truggy #8NZ-2014 electric converted Tekin-savox
SC10 Tekin-savox
Baja 5B dirt mod-2015 Summer Slam Champion.
RossNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:49 AM   #6565
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to zuki250

I also have the pucks...i ran 12-15 packs and the front distingrated and ruined the drive cup...I emailed MIP about this and we are in talks right now...As much as i like them i am taking them out and putting my tekno shafts back in...really dissapointed in them
zuki250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #6566
Tech Elite

I personally wouldn't run the pucks without the kh mounts. The center diff outdrives wobble too much without them and cause the pucks to wear fast. I had almost zero wear with my pucks with kh mounts. Raced it probably 5 race days and sold it to a friend. He's still running it with the original pucks in it.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #6567
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to zuki250

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
I personally wouldn't run the pucks without the kh mounts. The center diff outdrives wobble too much without them and cause the pucks to wear fast. I had almost zero wear with my pucks with kh mounts. Raced it probably 5 race days and sold it to a friend. He's still running it with the original pucks in it.
I have the mounts....and if he is still running the original pucks he isn't going fast enough
zuki250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:19 AM   #6568
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuki250 View Post
I have the mounts....and if he is still running the original pucks he isn't going fast enough
+1
potatobed409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #6569
Tech Elite

Quote:
Lol. Maybe. But if the pucks need to be replaced every month then I would be willing to deal with it considering how smooth and quiet they are. They can be replaced with the drive shafts on the truck. Now if they had to be replaced every race day or two like some guys have said then that would be different.

Last edited by rcgod; 04-23-2014 at 01:02 PM.
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:04 AM   #6570
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
I also have the pucks...i ran 12-15 packs and the front distingrated and ruined the drive cup...I emailed MIP about this and we are in talks right now...As much as i like them i am taking them out and putting my tekno shafts back in...really dissapointed in them
wow that's crazy. I hope that doesn't happen to me..

I have ran 2 many packs to count on the MIP system and I think that was the best investment for the truck.
(714) 441-2274
s.amadorJR is offline   Reply With Quote