Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree10Likes

TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0 Kit Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

hmm, how long does the leaking take to start? Mine is still dry after 2 weekends.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weavty1
I second this.. It's gotten so bad recently, I shelfed my 2.0 because I've become so frustrated with it. I leave it on my workshop bench overnight in the basement, come back the next morning and I've got oil spots on my workbench! LOL. It's currently sitting in a Tupperware tub at the moment!

and yes, I have the 'updated' shock bottoms that I called the california offices about... Even then, they only sent me one damn package of them! (just a pair!!!)

Ugh.. It's been really frustrating to say the very least... Not bad for a near $500 kit :/
Hmmm... I've been running the 2.0 since release date and haven't had a problem even with worn in shock shafts. Sounds like you are building the shocks with air trapped inside were u can push the shaft all the way in. All the pressure will have to go somewhere.
Old 08-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kakenballs
Casper I asked this question months ago..... Why only 1 o-ring in the lower shock body? I have to rebuild my shocks after every heat cause there is a lot of shock oil leaking out..... I have had Billy Fischer & Trevor Clement & Chris Wheeler & Chuck Hicks show me there way of rebuilding shocks. I have followed all the steps they showed me on building this shock and still leaks like a pig! I have tried the stock o-rings & the low friction o-rings also. I have 2 pair of shocks do to how bad this problem is!
I am totally serious when I say this. I have NEVER had a SCTE shock even loose a drop of oil. I ignore my shocks for months even! I never had to worry about them as they don't leak. The single oring is a "X" ring so it has two "edges" on it but again I have heard VERY few people have issues with the stock SCTE shocks leaking. Going to another brand "o-ring" should not help. The stock o-rings may not make the most "free" shock on the market but they are consistant and the mass majority of them don't leak. How old are your shock shafts? You run in dusty conditions that may foul the shocks easy? Maybe some new shafts and o-rings will help with your problem and run the shock boots.
Old 08-06-2013, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by maddog9
Hmmm... I've been running the 2.0 since release date and haven't had a problem even with worn in shock shafts. Sounds like you are building the shocks with air trapped inside were u can push the shaft all the way in. All the pressure will have to go somewhere.
I've been building RC shocks for now for going on 18 years.. LOL
Old 08-06-2013, 08:07 PM
Tech Prophet

Ryan may have some more insite but my 1.0 shocks I rebuilt once in the 2 years I ran that and only because I felt bad I had not done it yet!

Something else is going on here. Not say you guys are doing something wrong but there is a possibility something may have changed with the parts. Pure speculation. I really can't imagine why yours would leak so bad.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Something got to be wrong, my 2.0 shocks never leak. Can't say that for the rest of my RC cars.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Casper
I am totally serious when I say this. I have NEVER had a SCTE shock even loose a drop of oil. I ignore my shocks for months even! I never had to worry about them as they don't leak. The single oring is a "X" ring so it has two "edges" on it but again I have heard VERY few people have issues with the stock SCTE shocks leaking. Going to another brand "o-ring" should not help. The stock o-rings may not make the most "free" shock on the market but they are consistant and the mass majority of them don't leak. How old are your shock shafts? You run in dusty conditions that may foul the shocks easy? Maybe some new shafts and o-rings will help with your problem and run the shock boots.
The shock shafts are 2 full days old which are newly rebuilt by billy & running indoors. So if your saying billy cant build shocks right then I'm lost here. The o-ring is the tlr low friction gray o-ring! Will be posting pics of shocks just to show! I don't use the boots but cant see this being the problem here......
Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Cool

Also casper why is half the team using the 8th scale shocks if there isn't a problem here? I asked this question on the release of this 2.0 kit back on page 15 & got lots of private messages about this!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:46 AM
Tech Prophet

Also casper why is half the team using the 8th scale shocks if there isn't a problem here? I asked this question on the release of this 2.0 kit back on page 15 & got lots of private messages about this!
I am not aware of anyone on the team running 8th scale shocks?

Dakotah, Billy, Ryan, Myself and David Jenson were all running stock shocks at shootout.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The shock shafts are 2 full days old which are newly rebuilt by billy & running indoors. So if your saying billy cant build shocks right then I'm lost here. The o-ring is the tlr low friction gray o-ring! Will be posting pics of shocks just to show! I don't use the boots but cant see this being the problem here......
hes not saying that.
You are

Just cause some dude which you worship built your shocks and they leak doesn't mean there is an issue

With almost 5000 posts in this thread if there was a shock leaking issue, don't you think it would have been discussed/fixed by now?

I drive the CRAP out of my truck (flying 12+feet in the air, landing on all 4s, breaking shit, and the shocks don't leak.....
Old 08-07-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Casper I asked this question months ago..... Why only 1 o-ring in the lower shock body? I have to rebuild my shocks after every heat cause there is a lot of shock oil leaking out..... I have had Billy Fischer & Trevor Clement & Chris Wheeler & Chuck Hicks show me there way of rebuilding shocks. I have followed all the steps they showed me on building this shock and still leaks like a pig! I have tried the stock o-rings & the low friction o-rings also. I have 2 pair of shocks do to how bad this problem is!
The SCTE shocks should NEVER leak. Build them like the manual says with the good bottoms and they wont leak. A number of the factory guys run the gray o-ring from the 22 and it is not enough. They seep when you use that.

Originally Posted by weavty1
I second this.. It's gotten so bad recently, I shelfed my 2.0 because I've become so frustrated with it. I leave it on my workshop bench overnight in the basement, come back the next morning and I've got oil spots on my workbench! LOL. It's currently sitting in a Tupperware tub at the moment!

and yes, I have the 'updated' shock bottoms that I called the california offices about... Even then, they only sent me one damn package of them! (just a pair!!!)

Ugh.. It's been really frustrating to say the very least... Not bad for a near $500 kit :/
OK, so you did NOT get the updated bottoms from CA then. Those were specially packaged and only come in a set of 4. There is no header card on them or anything. They screw on all the way.

The gray O-ring is not for the SCTE, that is a 22 part and not designed for the crush for the SCTE.

Also, just so everyone is aware and it has been mentioned on here. There was one order of the replacement rebuild kits that came and had the O-ring in it from the diff and not the shock. The shock one is a X-type ring in that it has two edges that go against the shaft and not a standard O-ring that relies on a specific crush coefficient to not leak.

The team should not be using the 8th scale shocks. There is no benefit to this and they are heavier and produce more roll in the vehicle. This will lead to the same issues the Tekno has. Some have played with the springs but none should be running the 8th scale shocks.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Tech Addict

No issues with leaky shocks on my SCTE 2.0. 4 weeks of racing since I built it and not a drop. I'm also running the stock bottoms. Still waiting for my replacements to come in the mail.

I doubt any one who's having an issue forgot this step. The only issues I've ever had with leaky shocks was years ago before i was told to put a little shock oil on the shaft the first time through. Without that, you can tear or perforate the o-rings and cause leakage.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

I have been running since april and pulled shocks last week. two were down a bit on fluid but only what i would expect for that long... Mine still have the shitty wrong original bottoms on them too.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Never had a leaky shock. I don't like how much the o-ring grabs the shaft and makes for not a very free shock compared to my Kyosho, but never a drop leaks out.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Me and my son both run our trucks hard and have never had any leaking problems.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.