R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #3661
Tech Fanatic
 
ironzgti35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 924
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

What's the better option 2 stacks of double sided tape or shoe goo the rx8 straight to the chassis?
ironzgti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #3662
Tech Master
 
maddog9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,163
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironzgti35 View Post
What's the better option 2 stacks of double sided tape or shoe goo the rx8 straight to the chassis?
shoe goo has worked good for me so far.
maddog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #3663
Tech Prophet
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Orange, Ca
Posts: 17,664
Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default

A single layer or good double sided take should be sufficent. I don't like shoe goo for electronics as it drys pretty hard. I don't mind it for mounting a cap or a switch but for the main unit I prefer something with at least a little cushion.
__________________
TLR/Losi Team Driver
TLR/Losi | Tekin | DE Racing | Spektrum | Exotek | JBRL | Kolor Koncepts | OC/RC |Sticky Kicks | Imagine It Graphics | Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR 22-4 2.0, TLR Ten-SCTE 3.0, Spektrum DX6R

WWW.CASPER-RC.COM TLR and Tekin setups
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:46 AM   #3664
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Silicone rtv works and has some cushion.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #3665
Tech Elite
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,332
Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironzgti35 View Post
What's the better option 2 stacks of double sided tape or shoe goo the rx8 straight to the chassis?
I'm totally anal about protecting my electronics (but I got 2 seasons out of an original 4-hole RX8!) so I mounted my ESC on a Tekno V4 ESC tray:

ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:09 AM   #3666
Tech Fanatic
 
ironzgti35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Yardley, PA
Posts: 924
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
I'm totally anal about protecting my electronics (but I got 2 seasons out of an original 4-hole RX8!) so I mounted my ESC on a Tekno V4 ESC tray:

I was contemplating something similar. Did you drill some mounting holes in the chassis for the tray?
ironzgti35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #3667
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 242
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Okay question for you guys I run on outdoor tracks and like to have tons and tons of power and I'm running the viper copperhead 5150kv system it's not sensored and it really doesn't feel all that fast and if it is fast enough I'm burning up the motor what do I need to get that will push this hog around the track without burning up but having the most possible power? I'm also running the scte not the 2.0
T3tsaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:30 AM   #3668
Tech Elite
 
rcgod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 3,045
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3tsaya View Post
Okay question for you guys I run on outdoor tracks and like to have tons and tons of power and I'm running the viper copperhead 5150kv system it's not sensored and it really doesn't feel all that fast and if it is fast enough I'm burning up the motor what do I need to get that will push this hog around the track without burning up but having the most possible power? I'm also running the scte not the 2.0
5200 tenshock is pretty fast on 2s. Smooth too with good punch. Also the hobbywing 4700. Have heard good things about the Tekin 4300 but haven't tried one yet.
__________________
Dialed RC Hobbies
rcgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #3669
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 242
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Maybe this motor is blistering fast and maybe I'm just used to running mod 2wd buggy which is blazing fast lol
T3tsaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #3670
Tech Elite
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,332
Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironzgti35 View Post
I was contemplating something similar. Did you drill some mounting holes in the chassis for the tray?
Yes, the holes for the Tekno ESC tray are on a 30MM square pattern. Here's a pic where you can see those holes (well, screws, actually) along with the two other screws (to the left of the steel screw) I added for my 5th body post mount. The steel screw is for the torque rod because the Ti screw kit for the 1.0 didn't have a long enough screw for the torque rod.




As an aside, here's the top view that shows the 5th body post along with the Kyosho cover over my receiver:


ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:29 AM   #3671
Tech Master
 
BDRMBULLY's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: toronto CANADA
Posts: 1,490
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironzgti35 View Post
What's the better option 2 stacks of double sided tape or shoe goo the rx8 straight to the chassis?
Ive shoe gooed in the past but found much vibration and i think it damaged thd esc sooner, now i used two pieces of dbl sided tape and put couple globs of shoe goo to help it stay put
__________________
SCTE, DESC 410, XRAY XB4, MBX6 ECO
I hate feeling bad about feeling good about that!
Hand D Flooring
BDRMBULLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #3672
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 3,523
Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Yes, the holes for the Tekno ESC tray are on a 30MM square pattern. Here's a pic where you can see those holes (well, screws, actually) along with the two other screws (to the left of the steel screw) I added for my 5th body post mount. The steel screw is for the torque rod because the Ti screw kit for the 1.0 didn't have a long enough screw for the torque rod.
Just something of note for all, you never want to use a titanium screw on the torque rods in any position. Due to the properties of titanium, you will sheer the head off of a titanium screw well before you could hurt a steel screw.
__________________
-Ryan Dunford
Horizon Hobby Spektrum Product Manager
TLR--Spektrum--Horizon Hobby--Tekin--Venom--Pro-Line--Sticky Kicks--Bradley FLD--ImagineIt Graphics--Casper-RC.com
TLR 22 3.0, TLR 22T 2.0, TLR 22SCT 2.0, TLR TEN-SCTE 2.0, TLR 8ight-E 4.0, DX6R
hacker07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:39 AM   #3673
Tech Elite
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,332
Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hacker07 View Post
Just something of note for all, you never want to use a titanium screw on the torque rods in any position. Due to the properties of titanium, you will sheer the head off of a titanium screw well before you could hurt a steel screw.
Well, then it is a good thing I didn't have one. Thank you for mentioning that.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #3674
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironzgti35 View Post
What's the better option 2 stacks of double sided tape or shoe goo the rx8 straight to the chassis?
IMO the best way to mount esc's in an off-road car is:

1. 3M double sided tape- get the outdoor stuff. I have found the 5lb tape to be sufficient. They offer it up to 20lbs if needed for bashing, but the 5lb should be more than sufficient for racing purposes when the whole truck weighs around 6lbs.
2. Cut 1 or 2 pieces of lexan the same size as the mounting surface.
3. For off road, I like at least 2x thick of servo/double sided tape. If you just stack the servo tape on top of the other servo tape it can get 'mushy' and allow the esc to shake around a bit. Instead, use a piece of lexan in-between the double sided tape. This gives it some structure, and still allows for the most important shock absorption... from flat landings. I do 2 layers of tape on my buggy and 3 (so 2 pieces lexan needed) on my short course rigs. You can scuff up the lexan with sandpaper for more grip if needed... I never have had to.
Make sure everything is clean!!
imbsbiaoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #3675
Tech Master
 
BmainStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: pullin in,ca.
Posts: 1,811
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDRMBULLY View Post
Ive shoe gooed in the past but found much vibration and i think it damaged thd esc sooner, now i used two pieces of dbl sided tape and put couple globs of shoe goo to help it stay put
....
..Yup ,same here !!!!I run a small bead of the goo along two sides of the speedo
after the MIP tape goes on,,,,!!Works great and the shoo goo will come off with a minimal amount of work when time to replace..Cheers!!
__________________
Toy Car Playerz
West Coast
BmainStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:26 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net