Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rx8 vs Mamba Monster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default Rx8 vs Mamba Monster

I've been trying to figure out what system I will get for my Losi 8ight e 2.0 but I just have a few questions to ask about both of these systems.

The continuous amp draw from the Rx8 says 210amps which is far higher than the mamba monster which is 120amps. Is this because the Tekin in sensored and the mamba monster is not?

It's been awhile since I ran my lipos because of the long winter here in Canada but I need this confirmed. To calculate the amp draw a lipo can do, you have to take the C rating of the lipo and multiply it by the mah to the thousandth. So a battery with specs such as 4s 40C 5000mah would have an amp draw of 40 x 5.000 which is 200 amps right? I also know it's best to be over the limit the Esc states to keep everything cool.

I'm just asking because this seems like a good draw for the Mamba monster which is 120amps but not for the Tekin. So in other words you must buy a battery with a much high C rating just to keep the Tekin happy and cool. Either that or a low c rating with a very high mah value.

Also I hope to stay away from installing a bec for my servo and both these units should be able to supply the power to it right?

Thanks for the help!
Fanatic01
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

You shouldn't need a bec for either. You're way over thinking the amp rating. Both are more than capable of running what you plan to do. Most prefer the tekin because it's sensored. Other options are hobby wing150a and viper vtx8. I've used all 4 of them and they are all durable and work well.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would say neither honestly. I've used the Castle setup and while it was super reliable and fast, it wasn't so great for the track. It's power delivery isn't linear enough unless you spend a bunch of time tweaking it.

The Rx8 is a good ESC no doubt. However with the money you're paying and the issues I've heard of with them burning up, I don't really see how it's worth the premium price tag.

I'd say look into the HobbyWing stuff. I recently went from the Castle 2200kv setup to a HW sensored 1800kv and I wouldn't go back if you paid me. I paid less than $150 for mine shipped and it's amazing for price to performance ratio.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Tech Adept

Well I've heard some things about servos drawing to many volts and glitching out especially with the Sr300 receiver I am thinking on getting with the transmitter of course. I just want to make sure the esc can power them without and external bec or anything like that.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:43 AM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rcgod
You shouldn't need a bec for either. You're way over thinking the amp rating. Both are more than capable of running what you plan to do. Most prefer the tekin because it's sensored. Other options are hobby wing150a and viper vtx8. I've used all 4 of them and they are all durable and work well.
the viper is not an option sir, if it is please tell me where i can buy one i am patiently waiting on it!!!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

The only esc used in 1/8 scale that I'm aware of that has a bec issue is the mm pro. Monster should be ok.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BOG
the viper is not an option sir, if it is please tell me where i can buy one i am patiently waiting on it!!!
Amain hobbies.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Brushless-ESC
Old 01-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Champion

Specs and ratings don't mean anything in RC. Very few are accurate. Mah is about the only spec on batteries that makes any sense. Turnigy is coming out with a new Pianotech battery with an eleventy million C rating soon.

I'd recommend the Hobbywing ESC. There's a big one and a little one now. 150a or 120a or something.

The little one is great for Serpent/Techno, the big one for Mugen/Kyosho.

The Rx8 is the better of your 2 choices listed. The MMM isn't smooth enough, or reliable enough, and it's BEC is as powerful as a potatoe.

The Rx8 tends to catch on fire alot. But I've heard that after someone in warranty fixes it, they're pretty decent. I have 2 Rx8s coming to me this week.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:07 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The Rx8 isn't known for catching fire. I think some of us are being a bit dramatic.

The Rx8 has proven to be a winner on and off the track. Top pro drivers and fast local guys throughout the world have chosen the Rx8 because it flat out works. It's fast, smooth, controllable and reliable.

Pro drivers are not going to use electronics that can't perform. These guys depend on winning to make their house payments and feed their families. If it didn't work, it wouldn't be in the car.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Any ESC can have issues. Rx8 is as reliable as anything else I've ran.
Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fanatic01
Well I've heard some things about servos drawing to many volts and glitching out especially with the Sr300 receiver I am thinking on getting with the transmitter of course. I just want to make sure the esc can power them without and external bec or anything like that.
I have only heard of this issue with Savox servos, something about them creating amperage spikes that other brands don't.

I'd get the RX8. It's proven durable. I have also run a Castle (someone else's) and it was really good too. I did not experience any smoothness issues unless trying to recover from a crash (car rolling backwards)
Old 01-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Tech Addict

For glitching skip the glitch buster and wire in the Castle external BEC, I have had the RX8, MMM, and MMpro all need them at one point or another. Basically if you turn on your car, lift wheels of ground, crank steering back and forth as fast as possible and watch the yellow light on reciever, if it flickers at all then this will solve your problem and writhe he Castle BEC you can set the voltage to what you want for servos. The adjustable BEC in the MMP doesn't work very well if at all on most units.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM
rcq
Tech Adept

Any ESC can have issues. Rx8 is as reliable as anything else I've ran.
What can I say, from my experience of 3 last year. I like Castle more for reliable. I have run two years with now any issue. After it I change CC to RX8 and what I get. After two race and some practice RX8 stopped work. And now after 8 month other RX stopped worked. So two RX8 in one year of running and now I have to buy other ESC.
Now I am thinkking to buy Viper VTX8.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rcq
What can I say, from my experience of 3 last year. I like Castle more for reliable. I have run two years with now any issue. After it I change CC to RX8 and what I get. After two race and some practice RX8 stopped work. And now after 8 month other RX stopped worked. So two RX8 in one year of running and now I have to buy other ESC.
Now I am thinkking to buy Viper VTX8.
I've been running the pre production vtx8 in both 4x4 sc and 1/8 buggy for a while with no issues. Waterproof, aluminum case and adjustable bec are nice. I don't think you will be disappointed. If you don't have a progauge it is definitely nice to have to make quick adjustments.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM
rcq
Tech Adept

I've been running the pre production vtx8 in both 4x4 sc and 1/8 buggy for a while with no issues. Waterproof, aluminum case and adjustable bec are nice. I don't think you will be disappointed. If you don't have a progauge it is definitely nice to have to make quick adjustments.
I already have from Viper company, Coperhead system and VTX10R+6.5t. No issue still now, in one year of use. Yes progauge is good think, you can quickly change ESC setup, do not need laptop and after changing setup you can feel it on the model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.