Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT? >

New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT?

New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:49 PM
Tech Regular

Default New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT?

Hey guys.

I tried to doing a search for this, but really didn't find the info I wanted. Off the bat, let me say that I am not new to hobby level RC. I have done a little bit of on-road racing, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. Thus, I am looking to try some off-road racing, and the biggest classes in my area are 2wd buggy and 2wd SCT. I would run in 17.5 for both. From what I understand, it seems that 2wd buggy is more difficult to drive, but it teaches you to be a better driver. 2wd SCT is easier to drive, but does not teach you racing technique like buggy does.

Are my conclusions correct? Is 2wd SCT more forgiving than buggy? I have also heard that buggy is much less expensive since the cars are lighter and use smaller tires. Is this also the case?

Thanks for any info!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Default Buggy

Buggies are awesome!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

2WD buggy is much more difficult, but when driven correctly, faster. It will teach you good habits from the start and good racing etiquette. 2WD SCT is a less competitive class and still fun. It will be harder as a new racer to get started in 2WD buggy, but as you mentioned it is cheaper. A full set of SCT wheels is significantly more expensive.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Cadillac or Corvette ?
yes you have heard right,
SC's are fun but buggies will help you (not make you) be a better driver.
Expense difference ? not so much.
It's the bling that will empty your wallet.
I find buggies way easier to drive, you can see the wheels working, you can hear the motor and tires hooking up... none of that feedback in an SC.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (97%+)

Either way, you cannot lose. Both are fun. Driving on clay is waaay different than driving on carpet.

Just flip a coin if you cannot decide and you'll win!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 01:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I just started racing and chose 2wd buggy... I absolutely hate SC. They're clumsy looking and there are problems at my track with etiquette in SC. Guys just smash each other and to me that's not racing.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have an Associated SC10 2wd shortcourse, but recently purchased a TLR22 buggy. I run on a medium sized, clay, indoor track in which the JConcepts gold Barcodes are my preferred choice for both vehicles. My SC10 is faster on the straightaway due to ESC boost options, but the TLR22 buggy is faster and more nimble everywhere else. It's amazing how much quicker and more nimble it feels through the corners and over the jumps. I really like the way it slices through traffic and makes it way through small gaps. To me, the TLR22 just feels like a much more responsive and darty version of the SC10. It just whips around corners and I don't need to worry as much about traction rolling. However, the stress levels increase when I'm out mixing it up with short course trucks and 1:8 scale buggies. In fact, I usually pull it off during those moments and grab one of my short course trucks.

I haven't raced in over 20 years (Kyosho Ultima in 1990 & 1991), but when/if I do return, it'll be the buggy. At my local track, the 2wd buggy guys tend to be much better drivers than the short course guys.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

2WD buggy will help you become a better driver as a whole. They are a little harder to start out with but when it all comes together I find them much easier to drive. I agree with starting with stock 17.5 like you planned. It is also typically a more competitive class then 2WD SCT. After having both for a while I recently decided to sell all my SCT stuff because I don't really enjoy the style of driving. I will stick to cleaner open wheel racing.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:37 AM
Tech Adept

I'm also new to off road racing and started with sct in rookie class with 17.5. Lots of fun but more like demolition derby. A month or so after I graduated rookie I picked up buggy 17.5. First night out , I was faster with my sct, but by the second race day I was faster in buggy. Buggy is super fun and precise. Now I race both.
The nice thing about the way I did it is I learned some basic driving skills with the sct without breaking the buggy constantly. So, I'm glad I started sct rookie. Now in buggy, I just try to stay out of the fast guys way and follow them around the track the best I can. It's very competitive.

Good luck to you, I'm addicted to the sport and surprise myself that I read these forums even.

In terms of expense, it's the lexan body cost of short course that's expensive. My tires and foams have lasted a long time at my track, but they do cost more initially. I bought my stuff used and rebuilt both cars with lots if care.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM
Tech Master

GET BOTH! Buggy will be more competitive racing. SC will be more for fun. Lot's of bashers racing SC at my track. I have a 22 and 22SCT and like them both very much. They are both easy to maintain and cost about the same except tires are a couple dollars more for the SC.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Tech Champion

I tried SC and it feels too loose for me, a buggy is so much more precise and agile it's a world of a difference. I'm coming back to 1/10 2wd buggy, sold the two SC10 I had. Buggy 2wd is the best school to learn driving too
Old 01-30-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

There is no other class you should ever pick before 2wd buggy. Everything else should be considered your 2nd or 3rd class. Your "staple", should always be 2wd buggy. It's the F1 of the RC world.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 111 (100%+)

I prefer 2wd buggy. I tried 2wd SC but didn't like it. It seemed more difficult to get dialed in than my buggy, and I hated the parachute effect with the big bodies too. I just got back into racing after about 15 years, and 2wd buggy is a lot easier to drive than I remember. I think mainly because 2wd chassis are longer and the suspension is more forgiving. I say give 2wd buggy a shot first. I run an Associated B4.1 FT with a +8mm chassis and it's been great.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks for the replys everyone. I think I am somewhat partial to buggy because my very first RC was a gold pan RC10 in the 80s. I think what I am concerned about is that buggy will be hard to get a handle on as a new racer and I will end up being discouraged. I had previously tried onroad with a Tamiya M04L, and I found it very frustrating to race. The rear kicked around constantly and it was not the most fun. Am I looking at apples and oranges here? Will a good buggy handle differently?
Old 01-30-2013, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

I have a 22 buggy and truck I'm thinking of selling. Buggy has a tekin rs and tekin 17.5 in it. If your interested send me a pm.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.