Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT? >

New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT?

New Offroad Racer - 2wd Buggy or 2wd SCT?

Old 01-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I really enjoy both. I think so many people don't understand Short Course. It was not ment to be like 2wd buggy. It is Short course, mimicked from real life short course where they let it hang out, bump push and shove some. In fact no REAL LIFE off road vehicle handles like a 2wd buggy, and isn't that way most of us got into rc cars?? Cus we couldn't afford the $$$ to race the big stuff...Now I'm not saying I'm that guy at the track bashing everyone, especially in 2wd buggy but to me its MUCH funner watching a short course battle with a little door rubbing then 2wd buggies following the leader until someone makes a mistake....To each their own but SC wasn't meant to be 2wd buggy so quit comparing them!!!
Old 01-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

IMO short course is better for newer drivers that have trouble sticking their line. It is more forgiving, breaks parts less often, setup is not as critical, and the drivers tend to be less competitive and more forgiving if you tag one of them.

2wd buggy imo is hands down much more fun to drive, faster, will turn inside of any short course, pulls faster lap times then both 2wd and 4wd short course, and clears jumps much easier. Bodies, tires, and wheels are less expensive. 2wd buggy you will be replacing wings while short course you'll be replacing entire bodies. I have had the same 2wd buggy body for 4 years now. I'm on my second sc body this year... mostly from other racers jamming into the back of the truck, which is much more common racing sc. Buggies are smaller and easier to store, usually fitting INSIDE your parts/tool bin that you bring to the track, rather than having to carry an extra vehicle.

Another huge benefit of buggy imo is that it is way easier on electronics. Gearing a buggy tall isn't nearly as temperature subjective as with an SC. I've never burnt up a motor in a buggy and they typically last a lot longer in them. Batteries last longer, both in runtime and their lifespan due to being under reduced load.