R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-20-2005, 12:37 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Help with ESCs

I'm getting back into electrics, it's been about 10 yrs. Right now I own an HPI nitro MT so I'm not too sure what's new and exciting in electrics. I just purchased a Losi XXX-T RTR. I would have prefered a kit but I'm in Iraq and don't have all the necessary tools. I'm looking for some break points between motors and ESCs. I'm not going to run brushless due to cost, I have my nitro if I want to spent big bucks. From what I've been reading the smaller # of turns= more maintenance. I need to know when a mod motor is going to need a new ESC. Also how many turns can I drop without frying my ESC (Novak Losi Sport ESC). Getting replacement parts could take 3 wks away from racing and winning.
scottmattson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 02:50 PM   #2
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1st. of all, Thank You for serving this great country. You are the man!!

The manual should say how low of a turn motor that control can handle. I reccomend the V2 orion or the peak vantage both are the same. I would think it could handle a 15 turn. These motors require basically no maintenence for quite some time. If you want to upgrade to a good speed control, get a Tekin G10 Pro. It can handle any Mod motor with ease. It is the best control on the market today. I have owned everything from Novak to LRP. Nothing compares.

Team Fusion
Team Tekin
Team Br00d
t4usee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 08:48 PM   #3
Tech Adept
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would suggest having a backup esc ready for your truck. A lot of people are having problems with the XRS (rebadged for Losi as the Sport). I would definitely..not.. run either a fast stock nor a fast mod. Run a mild mod like a 21 turn spec.
kevinsreell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 10:04 AM   #4
Tech Legend
Trader Rating: 205 (100%+)

The Tekin G-10 esc series are quite the beasts. I was strictly a novak guy when tekin went under till getting this esc and mine isn't even the pro. It will outpunch my C2 cyclone no problem and doesn't have a big capacitor to run with. Now I got two fo them and won't go back.

As for motors, I would be hesitant with the V2 series of motors with any form of dusty conditions. The motors have a problem where the brushes will gum up and they can be a big pain to get out then and work on. For its rebuild characteristics I loved my V2, but I got tired of having to cross the fingers when racing about the gumming up problem. Real Shame.

I have gotten some great reports of the new trinity cobalt and its long where brushes. I got one sitting here and plan test it soon. It will still need skimming on the comm but the brushes can be run for A LONG time and they offer excellent power.
< Durango DEX8, DESC410V2, DEX410V5>
< Team Associated RC10B6D>
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2005, 12:17 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

It's nice to see people on here from areas I spent lots of time. I lived in GF for 7 yrs.

I did buy a Trinity motor when I bought the truck but I don't remember the model. Hopefully it is the one your talking about. Strange thing about Iraq- I'm in Baghdad and it is not dusty in this area. I'm afraid the heat may be the killer tho. Nobody here has a comm lathe and no lhs so minimal maintenance is key. I'm going to look for the Tekin G10, any suggestions besides ebay?
scottmattson is offline   Reply With Quote