Wiki Posts
Search

Series or Parrallel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Series or Parrallel?

Flame suit on! haha. I'm running 2 2s batteries in an 8th scale buggy with tekin ESC and motor. Do I wire the batteries in series or parrallel? Do I even have a choice in the matter? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Series, if you're after a 4cell system.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by likeaboss
Flame suit on! haha. I'm running 2 2s batteries in an 8th scale buggy with tekin ESC and motor. Do I wire the batteries in series or parrallel? Do I even have a choice in the matter? Thanks!
If you want to double your voltage, you run them in a series. If you want to double your MAH.. you run them in parallel.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cpt.America
If you want to double your voltage, you run them in a series. If you want to double your MAH.. you run them in parallel.
So it looks like I do have a choice. I didn't think the ESC could handle that high of voltage, if it could also run at 7.4v. What do most people run? Thanks for the sarcasm-free responses! Especially you, Zero! Isn't my mah essentially the same since there are still two batteries? I look at mah as a function of runtime..Am I right?
Old 01-17-2013, 03:17 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Most people run 4s in ebuggies, the rx8 can handle up 6s. 2s can be a little under powered for a T8
Old 01-17-2013, 03:20 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

So it looks like I do have a choice. I didn't think the ESC could handle that high of voltage, if it could also run at 7.4v. What do most people run? Thanks for the sarcasm-free responses! Especially you, Zero! Isn't my mah essentially the same since there are still two batteries? I look at mah as a function of runtime..Am I right?
Yes, MAH will determine your relative run time. I think a lot of 8th scale buggy guys run them in series to double your voltage, not in parallel to double your mah, but that would depend on your electronics.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The esc may or not be able to handle 4s (14.8v) only you can answer that question at the moment.

And yes mah (milliamp hours) is directly related to run time , the greater the mah the bigger your "fuel tank" is.
Old 01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Almost everyone who runs 1/8 ebuggy runs a 4s set up. I know a few run 2s or 3s set ups indoors on small tracks and a few run 5s and 6s setups outdoors. 4s is the accepted standard though. A 4s set up will have more power than a 2s or 3s set up and will be more efficient yielding less heat. The RX8 can handle 4s and that is what I would recommend. What MAH our your batteries? Anything above 5000 MAH has plenty of run time.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by IOP_Racer
Almost everyone who runs 1/8 ebuggy runs a 4s set up. I know a few run 2s or 3s set ups indoors on small tracks and a few run 5s and 6s setups outdoors. 4s is the accepted standard though. A 4s set up will have more power than a 2s or 3s set up and will be more efficient yielding less heat. The RX8 can handle 4s and that is what I would recommend. What MAH our your batteries? Anything above 5000 MAH has plenty of run time.
They are 5000 mah batteries. I actually got everything going last night, and it's great. Thanks for the help everybody. It seems on par with a modded .21 with a little more response/punch. RX8/1900KV/2 2S lipo 5000 mah.