Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Storing RC's in Cold Garage - ruined electronics? >

Storing RC's in Cold Garage - ruined electronics?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storing RC's in Cold Garage - ruined electronics?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 11:07 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It's a known issue with the RX8's. I've had one do the same thing (servo but no motor) and I've known several other racers that have had the same issue.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ya, I've had 3 Rx8's die for no apperant reason. I've got alot of rc's all kept in doors so some sit for a couple months at a time. All 3 rx8s ran great last time out and next time I take the truck or car to the track I have only steering. I have 5 failed rx8's total so Im done. I would honestly switch to Castle stuff. I have 3 mamba monsters that are 3 years old and very reliable in comparison. I did have one die on the first jump I hit. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Initiate

So after trying all of your guys advice, turned out to be something random.
This is what i tried
1) re-charging all batteries and replacing batteries on radio - didnt help
2) re-binding radio to receiver - didnt fix anything
3) re programming ESC multiple times - didnt fix anything
4) unplugging all wires from esc and reciever
*** This is where i found the fix ***
After unplugging the Sensor wire from the motor to the esc and plugging it back in, everything worked again. Motor and steering now functioning. I figured this out after reading the error codes for the Novak Havok ESC , i was getting a solid red and blinking green light on the esc which said in the manual " internal damage to motor sensor harness or internal motor damage"

Luckily, it wasn't internal motor damage

All in all, i will now store my rc's inside in room temperature. I have a feeling the cold temperatures caused slight moisture on the harness to freeze and cause them to be 'disconnected' in some way or another.

Thanks everyone for all your advice and help.
Old 01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Tech Initiate

On another note, My friends losi scte with hobbywing electronics still isnt working.

here are his issues maybe you guys have some advice
we think his esc is shot.
1) Everything turns on properly and lights on receiver and esc look to be correct
2) he isnt getting steering or throttle BUT if you adjust the steering trim the wheels turn
3) if you adjust throttle trim, the truck tries to move forward but just grinds a but, and then we smelt burning and the esc got REALLY hot
4) At first we thought the radio wasn't binding to the reciever properly but because we can adjust the trim, we think that it is bound properly
5) He is able to set up the programming on the ESC except for the throttle forward and reverse percentages, as if its not recognizing or getting a signal from the throttle on the radio

Could his esc be shot? Does the signal from the radio get sent through the reciever -> esc -> then to the servo and motor? if thats the case it must be something wrong with the esc

His electronics are Hobbywing ESC XErun SCT Pro and TENSHOCK 4600 sensored

Any ideas would help alot
Old 01-17-2013, 04:19 PM
Tech Champion

You lost me at Rx8.

Condensation on the board causing a major failure is pathetic. Yeah, I've also seen it happen to others. Never to myself. I've seen water fogging up the inside of my M11x (tough mother radio).

Plausable, but pathetic. The boards should be sealed better. Generally, as long as the chips and FET's are dry, a little water across your power input at 18 volts or less shouldn't do jack.

I've never had this happen with HW, Sanwa, Hitec, or Tekin products. And yes, I do often leave my cars in the back of my ice cold truck for a day or two before racing.

Nearly every board I've seen in RC has very little sealant on it, unless it's majik invisable sealant. Why don't we hold RC electronics companies to a higher standard?
Old 01-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by capitoljay
On another note, My friends losi scte with hobbywing electronics still isnt working.

here are his issues maybe you guys have some advice
we think his esc is shot.
1) Everything turns on properly and lights on receiver and esc look to be correct
2) he isnt getting steering or throttle BUT if you adjust the steering trim the wheels turn
3) if you adjust throttle trim, the truck tries to move forward but just grinds a but, and then we smelt burning and the esc got REALLY hot
4) At first we thought the radio wasn't binding to the reciever properly but because we can adjust the trim, we think that it is bound properly
5) He is able to set up the programming on the ESC except for the throttle forward and reverse percentages, as if its not recognizing or getting a signal from the throttle on the radio

Could his esc be shot? Does the signal from the radio get sent through the reciever -> esc -> then to the servo and motor? if thats the case it must be something wrong with the esc

His electronics are Hobbywing ESC XErun SCT Pro and TENSHOCK 4600 sensored

Any ideas would help alot
1.)Pitch the ESC completely, remove all radio gear from truck for bench testing.
2.) Connect the correct voltage battery to your Rx.
3.) Plug two servos into your Rx.
4.) make sure your radio gear works perfectly first. Then go back to dealing with ESC's and radios together.
5.) check all wires and plugs

If you have trim control, but no real steering, then I think you have a radio problem.

The ESC getting hot quickly is bad news though.