Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Two of my SC Trucks are losing stamina....what is the issue? >

Two of my SC Trucks are losing stamina....what is the issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two of my SC Trucks are losing stamina....what is the issue?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 145 (100%+)
Default Two of my SC Trucks are losing stamina....what is the issue?

Hey guys! I recently participated in a Novak race here in Omaha Ne at the Hobbyplex and noticed that my blitz and my dad's blitz both drastically slowed down about 3/4 of the way through the race. Immediately we thought they were overheating but when we pulled them off, they were both only 130 degrees. Both are running 17.5 class and both have new thunderpower batteries running in them with a newer tekin Rs speed control.

Before I went out and bought new motors I wanted to know if anybody else has had this problem? I have had these motors for about 2 seasons and when spun by hand they feel real smooth. Time for new motors? All the bearings between the motors and the rear wheels have all been replaced and diffs are all smooth.

Thanks for any input!

Kyle
Old 01-10-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Batteries dying would be my bet.......... new batteries doesn't mean anything. What are the specs?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:40 PM
Tech Rookie

Permanent magnet motors will loose their magnetic properties over time, thus degrading its stator field and causing the motors performance to decline.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

The way you are describing it with both doing the same thing at the same time I would think something in your race/mechanic procedure rather than equipment.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Check your battery voltage after a race- the lower the voltage, the slower your car will be. I've found the dropoff point to be around 7.6-7.7v when you can really feel a difference in speed. My TrakPower packs come off no lower than 7.9v after a 6 minute run. If your voltage is above that, I suspect your motor is tired and needs to be replaced.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by YFZBOB
Permanent magnet motors will loose their magnetic properties over time, thus degrading its stator field and causing the motors performance to decline.
I have asked a lot of guys about set up and I am running the exact same set up as a few other guys I race with and have tested out the batteries on my ice chargers and they dont seem to be the problem. I'll probably just end up getting new Tekin motors for the trucks. I was just curious if anybody else had any ideas I hadnt thought of yet.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I would say it's the batteries, or you need....

Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

ice charger, how do you balance?
how long is your race?
smooth motor usually means dead rotor, new strong rotors kind of thunk as you turn them
Old 01-10-2013, 04:25 PM
Tech Elite

I balance charge every time and I was talkin about the duratrax ice charger. And ya, that does make sense. The motor does seem very loose. Smooth but almost like there is very little magnetic resistance. Thanks!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by vw addict
I would say it's the batteries, or you need....

Ahah, that's great. If you charge your batteries, and the problem goes away, the batteries were run down and probably don't have the life they used to.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

It's not the batteries. We swapped batteries and that didn't fix anything
Old 01-10-2013, 09:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brothainchrist0
Hey guys! I recently participated in a Novak race here in Omaha Ne at the Hobbyplex and noticed that my blitz and my dad's blitz both drastically slowed down about 3/4 of the way through the race. Immediately we thought they were overheating but when we pulled them off, they were both only 130 degrees. Both are running 17.5 class and both have new thunderpower batteries running in them with a newer tekin Rs speed control.

Before I went out and bought new motors I wanted to know if anybody else has had this problem? I have had these motors for about 2 seasons and when spun by hand they feel real smooth. Time for new motors? All the bearings between the motors and the rear wheels have all been replaced and diffs are all smooth.

Thanks for any input!
D
Kyle
Are you sure your batteries are being fully charged?
Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
Tech Prophet

First thing i would do out of anything is change your battery plugs . Because what happens is plugs get dirty/arked and the plug its self gets loose so that will make it seem like what your saying thats its doing.