Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fun with tires, I can't be the only one/

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 09:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Buddy of mine made a set of 1/10 truck AKA City Blocks. He cuts tires alot.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by asc6000
yea, why not, it is for fun. I will switch them side to side and see if there are any subtle differences but it is more about being bored. I did one one night and the other over a week later, can you tell which one I did after a couple beers ? They feel awesome, the foams fit perfect to the shape of the carcass and I know that rubber hooks up on our track. woo hoo and I got a new 80c pack ! yea ! gear up !
Your idea of fun is to waste a set of rear tires, and a bunch of time to build a mismatched set of front tires? I understand the desire to build a set of front Rattlers, but if I spent all that time and effort to make a set of tires and screw up the second to last step, I would feel like an idiot and be mad at myself. I certainly wouldn't broadcast it on the forum.

What I would do is cut up another set, and make matching sets. That way you can try the different treads as a set of tires instead of having mismatched tread side to side. If you are going to run different tread side to side, you may as well just run a different tire on all four corners. That way your car can be really inconsistant.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MTTAMUF
Your idea of fun is to waste a set of rear tires, and a bunch of time to build a mismatched set of front tires? I understand the desire to build a set of front Rattlers, but if I spent all that time and effort to make a set of tires and screw up the second to last step, I would feel like an idiot and be mad at myself. I certainly wouldn't broadcast it on the forum.

What I would do is cut up another set, and make matching sets. That way you can try the different treads as a set of tires instead of having mismatched tread side to side. If you are going to run different tread side to side, you may as well just run a different tire on all four corners. That way your car can be really inconsistant.
Grouchy much?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by am
Just use Loctite 406 and i you will not drop a tire again!!
Is this glue any better than all the glues the hobby companies sell? i.e. Proline?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pwrslider
Is this glue any better than all the glues the hobby companies sell? i.e. Proline?
Never used the loctite glue, but I use gorilla super glue from say "home depot". It doesn't bond right away like to your hands or so you can't move the tire into position, it actually takes 20-30sec.. Or even longer.. The glue at most hobbie shops bond so quick you can ruin a tire or get them unbalanced easily. That's why I like the gorilla. I can lay a whole bead in the rims slot then pop the tire in, move it into place, even wiggle it around so the glue spreads evenly and throughout the bead and then put my rubber bands on and walla it dries when it dries and I had plenty of time to get it all even..

That's my secret.. Never had a tire come loose in two years..

Then the oven trick to release the glue is awesome too. Put your oven to broil high.. Let it run for 5 minutes on broil after it reaches its preheat.. Put your tires in the oven, turn the oven (broil) off.. Leave them in for 10-20 Minutes.. As the oven is cooling off.. Take them out and Let cool off on work bench and walla you can pull them off the rim. And even remove most residue on the tire for re-glueing.

I do that with tires that are still good but the foams go to shit along with the rims.. Get new foams and rims and re glue...

Then you have broken in rubbers with fresh foams and new shiny rims..

If the tires are ruined but the rims are good you can save money on rims too..

Too much re-glueing though can get too much extra glue buildup if you can't get the glue off and will make the tires too unbalanced..

Honestly at my track where tires don't wear out and take 10 battery packs to break in, this combination works amazing.. Usually by the time a new set for me breaks in, The foams and rim are wore out and too soft.

Sorry I went tanning and need to shave but that's the glue I use...
Attached Thumbnails Fun with tires, I can't be the only one/-image.jpg