Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SCTE Basher Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 11:23 PM
Tech Rookie

Default SCTE Basher Build

I've read through as many recent recommendations as I can find in an effort to rebuild my SCTE. Before I load the parts train I wanted to get opinions, comments, and any added advice about the items I've chosen. And also that they are compatible!

I broke the chassis just behind the front A-arms about 6 months ago. I 90% bash (local bmx track etc.) and 10% track non-competitively. I'm looking to upgrade the stock motor and chassis/suspension accordingly. Now; I still expect to break parts, I just want to decrease my chances.

The list thus far:
*Forgive me for I cannot post links

Chassis: Need opinions here more than any. Factory replacement or other? (not sure if other chassis' are any more durable as weight is not a concern)
Chassis Braces RC8's?
Motor: Revtech 4XS Quad 4600
ESC: RX8
Batteries Nanotech 6.6MAH/65c~130 (Gens Ace hard to come by still I see)

I'm sure I'm missing some vital items. I appreciate all help given!
Old 01-07-2013, 04:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tango-Bravo
I've read through as many recent recommendations as I can find in an effort to rebuild my SCTE. Before I load the parts train I wanted to get opinions, comments, and any added advice about the items I've chosen. And also that they are compatible!

I broke the chassis just behind the front A-arms about 6 months ago. I 90% bash (local bmx track etc.) and 10% track non-competitively. I'm looking to upgrade the stock motor and chassis/suspension accordingly. Now; I still expect to break parts, I just want to decrease my chances.

The list thus far:

Chassis: Need opinions here more than any. Factory replacement or other? (not sure if other chassis' are any more durable as weight is not a concern)
Chassis Braces RC8's?

I'd go from the tim bump chassis w/ their long chassis brace they sell.. tough as nails and a good price iMO. (nitrohouse.com)

Rest of the guts sound good.. a few reasonable hop ups if you have not already..
1) carbon or aluminum shock towers
2) king headz pin keepers
(both items for racing or bashing)

Keep on hand in the pit box to avoid a break ending a fun session-
a-arms, f/r hubs, knuckles, pins (inner and outer), replacement parts for body mounts, front and rear bumpers and maybe a set of turnbuckle ends.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:06 AM
Tech Regular

The list thus far:

Chassis Braces RC8's?

If you're not racing, why wouldn't you go for 3S instead of expensive 2S?

Definitively less heat, more runtime, and a bit more speed as well.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Forget the 4600. Go 2800 max and run 3 cell. I'd even say go 6 pole 2000 and run 4 cell but the SCTE really won't cope too well with that extra weight.

You will get so much run time from low KV and 3 or 4 cell. And the motor will potentially run cooler depending on setup.

A 40 mph 4600kv 2 cell setup might run 10 minutes where as a 40 mph 2000kv 4 cell will run almost 20 with the same mah battery.

I'd look for an SCTE RTR motor on ebay. Run 3 cell, gear it at 17-18, and it will be all kinds of a beast. We run this motor in my friends MBX6 on 4 cell, geared at 14/46 and its pretty gnarly, power everywhere, short run ups are no problem. Gets a little warm, but it's still within spec. When I first got my RTR SCTE I ran that motor on 3 cell geared 19/40 and it was so fast and never got hot. With my 2 cell 5200 combo in my MBX6 SCT, I'm barely getting 7 min with a 6800 and have to run a huge fan to keep temps in check.... And the ONLY reason run that setup is for racing, but I'm still thinking about putting an 1/8 scale motor in it.

The only reason to run a high KV motor on 2 cell is if you plan on racing, and are concerned about the rules. You will have a lot more fun between charge times if you go low KV 3 cell.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BillyT.
Forget the 4600. Go 2800 max and run 3 cell. I'd even say go 6 pole 2000 and run 4 cell but the SCTE really won't cope too well with that extra weight.

You will get so much run time from low KV and 3 or 4 cell. And the motor will potentially run cooler depending on setup.

A 40 mph 4600kv 2 cell setup might run 10 minutes where as a 40 mph 2000kv 4 cell will run almost 20 with the same mah battery.

I'd look for an SCTE RTR motor on ebay. Run 3 cell, gear it at 17-18, and it will be all kinds of a beast. We run this motor in my friends MBX6 on 4 cell, geared at 14/46 and its pretty gnarly, power everywhere, short run ups are no problem. Gets a little warm, but it's still within spec. When I first got my RTR SCTE I ran that motor on 3 cell geared 19/40 and it was so fast and never got hot. With my 2 cell 5200 combo in my MBX6 SCT, I'm barely getting 7 min with a 6800 and have to run a huge fan to keep temps in check.... And the ONLY reason run that setup is for racing, but I'm still thinking about putting an 1/8 scale motor in it.

The only reason to run a high KV motor on 2 cell is if you plan on racing, and are concerned about the rules. You will have a lot more fun between charge times if you go low KV 3 cell.
Yes, I can't agree more than that.

Or one other reason is if tango-bravo already have lots of 2S battery and want to carry on using these.

But if things have to be purchased, go 3S.

I'm lucky enough to be able to "race" at our local track because the rule is basically "no rules", as long as you have a short-course 1/10th, you're in the short-course 1/10th class and that's it.

100% non official, 100% fun, that's what I like.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Agree 100% w/ those guys if you have not purchased yet go for 3s lipo configs..

The stock RTR motor is great, but also forget about that RX8, go with the hobbywing SCT pro ESC, you could even get the combo kit from falcon with a xerun 3400kv motor and it would give you retarded speed/power on 3s lipo. SCT PRO C3 combo

If you want to stick with 2s lipo (if you own already and want to save $) get the 4000kv or 4700kv version of that combo. WAY better and cheaper than what you posted.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:58 AM
Tech Master

Track star 150a and RTR 2800 is so so smooth and works great on 2 or 3 cell with no BEC. I run the HW 150 on my truck and have to use a BEC on 2s. Should have gotten the SCT Pro version.

Also, the RTR SCTE comes with an MMP. They are around 80 bucks on ebay and will run that 2800 all day on 3 cell. Pretty sure you can get the package for about 150, new pull out parts.

2650 6 pole motor on 3 cell would make for a killer basher setup, and run for ever. Not 100% sure the 42mm motor will bolt up tot he SCTE motor mount though. I *do* know that the 36mm motors will bolt up to the 1/8 scale motor mounts.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by 8ight-e

The stock RTR motor is great, but also forget about that RX8, go with the hobbywing SCT pro ESC, you could even get the combo kit from falcon with a xerun 3400kv motor and it would give you retarded speed/power on 3s lipo. SCT PRO C3 combo

If you want to stick with 2s lipo (if you own already and want to save $) get the 4000kv or 4700kv version of that combo. WAY better and cheaper than what you posted.
Lots of guys raving about the HW 4700 on 2s for racing.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Djioul
I'm lucky enough to be able to "race" at our local track because the rule is basically "no rules", as long as you have a short-course 1/10th, you're in the short-course 1/10th class and that's it.

100% non official, 100% fun, that's what I like.
That's how it should be. Running 6 pole and high voltage really isn't an advantage anyway, when you are talking about 6-7 min heats.

I think the rules will come around. SCT Mod Unlimited. That would be a fun class. Run what you brung!
Old 01-07-2013, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BillyT.
Lots of guys raving about the HW 4700 on 2s for racing.
I've got all three, the 4000kv is by far the best motor for racing even on huge out door tracks. The 4700 is fine on a big track, but it would be my second choice. The 4000 is more effecient and has a little more grunt and retarded fast.. 14t with a touch of boost, or 15/16t with out for the big tracks. Small/med tracks 14t alone is too much and you will need to reduce the endpoints even with the 4000kv, the 4700kv is just the wrong motor for small/mid tracks I'd take the 3400kv before that one on the smaller tracks. Just my 2c. Bashing though the 4700 on 2s will be pretty impressive.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks, folks!

I hadn't considered 3s setups due to problems friends have had with damaging electronics & tires. Grant it their no pro's and don't really research their setups to ensure a solid setup. Additionally, I was somehow under the impression 3s setups would be more expensive as well. Not to mention temps. But this is why I sought your advice.

1) carbon or aluminum shock towers
2) king headz pin keepers
(both items for racing or bashing)

Keep on hand in the pit box to avoid a break ending a fun session-
a-arms, f/r hubs, knuckles, pins (inner and outer), replacement parts for body mounts, front and rear bumpers and maybe a set of turnbuckle ends.
Perfect! My setup is stock atm. Forgive my ignorance...can you point me towards the "knuckles" and "pins" please? Thanks for this!

BillyT, 8ight-e, Djioul; I've been borrowing 2s batteries from friends for the time being so no investments in 2s. Two friends run Pro4/2s, a 3s capable Castle of sorts, and a Ballistic. The run times and temps your describing sound great! Will those kinds of combos hang with the Pro4's in the performance department? Tq as well? Knowing now that I'm down for the 3s setup, any further recommendations for specific motors?

I can't thank you guys enough for your responses! Friends have spent a lot and I mean a lot of cash on combo's that K.O. themselves/sling tires off etc. I'm willing to spend the cash.....but to a proper end!

Last edited by Tango-Bravo; 01-07-2013 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Tech Adept

Tbone Racing front and rear Basher bumpers is what you need!
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

the bce chassis is probably the highest quality chassis and its 100% usa made and designed.

strc towers are nice i would stick with aluminum towers only because i just recently was on a bash with a friend with our trughies and he shattered a carbon fiber tower.

electronics well im on the band wagon with the rest of the group the stock 2800 on 3s is very close to same rpm as a 4600 on 2s but it will run cooler and longer on less mah of lipo as far as esc goes i would run a viper copper head r
Old 01-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Tech Master

BillyT, 8ight-e, Djioul; I've been borrowing 2s batteries from friends for the time being so no investments in 2s. Two friends run Pro4/2s, a 3s capable Castle of sorts, and a Ballistic. The run times and temps your describing sound great! Will those kinds of combos hang with the Pro4's in the performance department? Tq as well? Knowing now that I'm down for the 3s setup, any further recommendations for specific motors?
At 100% EPA, on 3s, geared 18/40 you will crush a Pro4 4600 on 2s. I would pull my friends Rev Tech 4800 dirty with that combo, at 90% EPA. You could go down to a 16 and be pretty much even with a typically geared 4600, and run for a lot longer.

I don't really like to recommend brands as people really get up in arms about that stuff, but any motor from 2400-3000, 550, 4 pole, will run great on 3 cell. Brand boils down to how much you want to spend. But know that you can get a really solid motor for 80 bucks or less, with 80 being on the high side.

Look on ebay for the RTR SCTE motor. They will be brand new. Shops buy them and pull them apart to sell them. More money selling the individual parts than selling a new complete kit. So you will find them all over ebay.

Motor for 80

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOSI-SCTE-TE...item35c2f3f4a0

and a ESC motor combo for 160

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOSI-SCTE-TE...item4ac00762d8

All Castle stuff. Good quality.

And tires won't blow off if they are glued right... And poorly glued tires will blow off with even a more conservative setup.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

And 3 cell batteries will be a little more, but we are talking 5-10 bucks, nothing prohibitive.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.