Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Hacker TensorIC 1/10 esc and Skalar motor >

Hacker TensorIC 1/10 esc and Skalar motor

Hacker TensorIC 1/10 esc and Skalar motor

Old 01-05-2013, 05:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Hacker TensorIC 1/10 esc and Skalar motor

Just wanted to start this thread because I am always intrigued when I find out about a new product or one that has been under the radar, and I love the knowledge. So this is not a pitch, its just info for anyone who likes info.

Over the last 4-6 months I've been seeing these purple motors and esc's showing up on the podium and in my local hobby shops, so I did some research online and decided to give them a shot based on info I found and guys I spoke with.

I found the US distributor (Aeromodels) and they actually have a huge line of motors and esc's. Some air, some land. So I bought the TensorIC esc, Skalar 17.5 motor, and TensorIC Progbox.

Ran the Hacker TensorIC esc and Hacker Skalar 17.5 this past weenkend in my DEX210 and wow it was good. Really good! I used Hacker Progbox and downloaded the Hacker TensorIC software to my laptop, uploaded the stock spec firmware. The Progbox can be used as a stand-alone programmer with 95% of its features programmable, or you can link it to your PC and get a couple more programming options. Also, hooking up to the PC allows you to choose firmware (Stock spec/Mod). The Progbox plugs into the second sensor port which I really like vs using the receiver wire.

The quality of this esc and motor is amazing. It has a really great switch as well, which seems to be a problem on a majority of esc's. Everything is well assembled and even the packaging is high quality lol, not that it matters. I programmed in some aggresive settings and calibrated my radio(very simple) and was ready to hit the track. After trying a couple different pinions and timing combo's, I settled on 34/69 with 40degrees on the motor. It felt ultra smooth, and great brakes. Motor never ran above 120. I can probably go up another tooth and max out the timing to 45 and still run under 155. It had great top end for the layout, so I didnt gear up anymore. Motor was punchy, and mid was great too. I noticed that the last 1/8 of trigger pull ramps up aggressively, and I noticed it gave me a larger range of my most common area of throttle use. But when I punched it WOT it accelerated hard. Over the last year and a half I have ran the following esc's in my buggy.
LRP V1 Stock Spec SXX + Works Team cap
Novak GTB2 & GTB2 X-drive
Tekin RS-Pro + 3 Tekin caps

I had settled on the LRP and had no plans to switch, but was convinced to try the Hacker by somebody faster than me. The Hacker is staying in and I will be switching all my 1/10 scale to the TensorIC. I like the fact that I can pic firmware, either stock or mod. That was one thing I did not like about the LRP. And I didn't think the Tekin was nearly as smooth as either the LRP or Hacker, plus it had a dead spot right off neutral that I could not get out, nor anyone else who tried. But it was problem free and I knew Tekin would take care of any issues if I had any. And the Novak was pretty decent in all areas, but lacked the programability I was after.
I ran it on Tuesday in a big race locally and I was able to beat one of the guys who had my number since day one. A goal I had set years ago lol. It ran flawless all day long. I let anyone who wanted to run my buggy give it a spin. All impressed. I dont race for Hacker, nor do I endorse outside of my sponsors, but in this case I will make an exception. Its really worth trying.

This is just general info. Obviously its based off the Hobbywing V3 just like the Orion R10 Pro.

Tensoric 10

A CNC milled from solid metal housing is used directly for cooling and effectively prevents the penetration of dust and splashing water.
To further improve the cooling performance a fan is supplied with 4 mounting holes. The initialization of the controller works with a simple keystroke.
The TENSORIC10 can be programmed directly via the SET button, or via an optional programming box.
2 sensor ports for optimized wiring

Features Features
o low internal resistance
o splashproof
o softsensored - the controller continues to break the sensor signal
o easy to program using Set button or hacker PROGBOX
o upgrade capability via optional programming box
o switched BEC
o Programmable Timing
o Programmable start-up stages

Specifications
Constant current 160A
Max Power 760A
Internal resistance 0.00025 ohms
Battery Type 1-3S LiPo/LiFe * 5-9S NiMh 1-3S LiPo / LiFe * 5-9S NiMh
BEC 5.8 V max. 3A
LxWxH 41.5 x30x20.4mm without fans
Weight 44g without cable

They have a few other esc's for 1/10th and 1/8th plus motors. Good info
https://www.aero-model.com/
Old 01-05-2013, 05:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hobbywing?
Old 01-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hacker makes good stuff, been running their brushless motors in my planes for years
Old 01-05-2013, 06:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, when I first started looking around online the stuff I found was from the actual Hacker company which is in Deutschland Germany. So I had to get some stuff translated lol.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well, its been about a month and I really love this setup. Loved it so much I picked up another combo for my DESC210R. Also, I have been in contact with the USA distributor and unlike my first post, I am now sponsored by Hacker. Very excited to run for Hacker this year. Cant wait for Cactus Classic next month!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I just built a new durango dex410v3 and am trying to put the best parts in it. Do you think this setup could support a 4wd on a tacky clay track
Old 02-20-2013, 05:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Modified51
I just built a new durango dex410v3 and am trying to put the best parts in it. Do you think this setup could support a 4wd on a tacky clay track
The Team manager for Hacker runs a DEX410V3 with a Hacker Tensoric10 esc and 6.5 hacker Skalar. Their is also about 4 other guys who run this combo in 4 wheel buggy. Have not seen any failures at all from the Hacker stuff.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nismomike
Well, its been about a month and I really love this setup. Loved it so much I picked up another combo for my DESC210R. Also, I have been in contact with the USA distributor and unlike my first post, I am now sponsored by Hacker. Very excited to run for Hacker this year. Cant wait for Cactus Classic next month!

So how did it perform at cactus? What were your settings and gearing?
Old 05-04-2013, 02:06 AM
Tech Regular

I just spent $400 on a Skalar8, TensorIC ESC and the Prog Box for my MBX6E . And the best part is that no one at the track knows that I am not running Tekin because Hacker doesn't put decals in their merchandise boxes.

Sad.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've been running Hacker gear in my SC for a couple months now and about to get a new 1/8 buggy with the 1/8 gear in it too. This is the nicest stuff I've used and would recommend to anyone!

Plus, the purple is awesome
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Tech Regular

So long as it is reliable I'll be satisfied. The ESC is poor on programming options. It irks me a little that there are options showing up in the software interface that are unavailable because I don't have the right ESC. Those are the options I want.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Replaced a Novak 21.5 in my TC with a Hacker and I swear it's twice as fast. Seem to be well designed and built.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Omg, never heard of the brand till like yesterday when I placed a wtb add looking for brushless motors, so I got a txt from this guy who has a hacker motor, a e10-7.5 so I'm like well I'll give it a shot, so it's in the mail lol, and I thought it was kooling to see an add about the hacker motors haha
Old 05-07-2013, 11:24 PM
Tech Regular

I have a couple of Hacker Motors. An outrunner that I run in my mini 8ight and the Skalar8 2100kv in my MBX6E. They're call to fame is their slotless design that contributes to their smooth operation, at least for their outrunners. I am sure that if I looked hard enough I could find more powerful motors but they seem powerful enough to get the job done and they do apply the torque smoothly.

One thing that matters to me is that Hacker prints their motor specs. Everyone wants to tell you about their motor's KV rating. Very few disclose their current draw or internal resistance. That makes me think either their specs are bad or they didn't design their motors at all.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When I was coming off of a sponsorship from a scamming company, I started seeing Hacker motors pop up, so I did my research about Hacker asked pros/rookies and decided that I was going to give them a shot. I purchased some motors and was very shocked when it ran almost like my Orion. Of all the ESC's I have had I have always felt Orions were the smoothest, but that changed when I tried the hacker setup. Right before Cactus I received a sponsorship from Hacker. Thanks to them I am now able to run all Hacker products in my cars. Very great company, and great products!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.