Wiki Posts
Search

Deans or banana plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 07:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Johnnysplits
I totally agree on using 4mm solid bullets, but am I missing something here with people having polarity connection issues?
I understand your "confusion" concerning polarity issues. When I first planned out my esc wiring, I did it based on the one set of saddle packs I had available. Well, when I bought the 2nd set of saddle packs, the polarity layout was different. So, I have to refigure my esc layout and do some soldering today.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing that i've read here and on other forums concerning polarity issues is with the connectivity. People making one wire shorter than the other? Last time I checked: red=pos, black=neg. What am I missing here?
Old 01-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Adept

One thing that i've read here and on other forums concerning polarity issues is with the connectivity. People making one wire shorter than the other? Last time I checked: red=pos, black=neg. What am I missing here?
Exactly you have to check that every time. Not sure I want to make the wires shorter encase I want to try another pack that is different.
What about chargers they have positive and neg banana connectors you have to connect every time in the correct polarity.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:06 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JJay03
Exactly you have to check that every time. Not sure I want to make the wires shorter encase I want to try another pack that is different.
What about chargers they have positive and neg banana connectors you have to connect every time in the correct polarity.
I don't think you understand what im saying. On all my rc's, the esc power wires are red and black. After I solder on the bullet connectors, I use red and black shrink tube. On my lipo's, I have a red sticker applied to the positive side of the case. All of my charge cables from the charger to batteries use red and black wires to XT60 connectors which are impossible to plug in backwards. Im not following the logic of why someone would need to have one wire shorter than the other as to not connect things backwards. The only reason I can see is if the person were color blind.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

I don't think you understand what im saying. On all my rc's, the esc power wires are red and black. After I solder on the bullet connectors, I use red and black shrink tube. On my lipo's, I have a red sticker applied to the positive side of the case. All of my charge cables from the charger to batteries use red and black wires to XT60 connectors which are impossible to plug in backwards. Im not following the logic of why someone would need to have one wire shorter than the other as to not connect things backwards. The only reason I can see is if the person were color blind.
I understood exactly what your saying and I agreed?? You must of not understood what I was saying lol.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by JJay03
I understood exactly what your saying and I agreed?? You must of not understood what I was saying lol.
Ahh brain fart on my part
Old 01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 106 (100%+)

I totally agree on using 4mm solid bullets, but am I missing something here with people having polarity connection issues?
deans can only be connected in one direction.
bullets can be cross connected,reverse connected and smoke the esc.
make one lead shorter so that it can not reach the incorrect battery terminal.
this will make it impossible to connect backwards.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by subaru_tech
bullets can be cross connected,reverse connected and smoke the esc.
Now going by my earlier post describing my setup, how is what you're saying possible unless your not watching what you are doing?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Tech Addict

As far as polarity, I use red shrink wrap, about 1/2 an inch on the end of the positive plug. Super simple.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:53 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 248 (100%+)

Now going by my earlier post describing my setup, how is what you're saying possible unless your not watching what you are doing?
This. I do it as a safety backup. For one thing my wires are all black and my positive wire does have a small red end, my packs also have been painted red around the positive terminal. Now if you are perfect and never make a mistake during a quick battery change then I guess you don't need to worry about it. For me I like having that extra bit of safety built in. Also if somebody else is swapping a pack for me it makes it fool proof.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:43 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by 2canSAM
if somebody else is swapping a pack for me it makes it fool proof.
Yeah, that's probably the best reason!
Old 01-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Although it is a good suggestion to make one shorter than the other so it can't reach the opposite terminal, keep in mind that different manufactures have the (+) and (-) on opposite sides.

Going to bullets makes you run the risk of plugging in the battery backwards and frying your esc instantly. This just happened a couple of weeks back to a fellow racer.

I have seen deans melt when used in a 4wd sct. If you want to use a polarity protective setup, I hear traxxas connectors are rated higher than deans.

I personally use the bullets and just mark my batteries with a VERY obvious orange sticker with a sharpie marked (+) on the positive side.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I like deans. All my set ups have them and no issues.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

You're thinking about this all wrong. It's not about paying attention, it's about engineering in a simple safety solution that will eliminate the hazard. Not everyone is going to stop and do a take 5 before they plug it in.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cridd
I like deans. All my set ups have them and no issues.
deans 4 pins, circa 1989, times change but things remain the same.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.