Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Getting Back into RC World (need some tips) >

Getting Back into RC World (need some tips)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Getting Back into RC World (need some tips)

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 09:39 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking Getting Back into RC World (need some tips)

So iv been out of the game for a few years and i want to get back into it. Heres my current setup:

AE B4 Factory Kit (not the 4.1)
M11x Radio
XP DS1313 Digital Servo
LRP SPX ESC
REEDY 5000 MAH LiPo
13.5 Icon Motor

Iv been looking around and it doesnt look like much has changed but iv seen some people running with different ESC and Servos then the ones i have now. Is my setup still a good competitive setup? What things should i upgrade to?

Also i saw AE came out with a B4.1, other then the new shocks and spur gear what els is new? Should i just buy a new 4.1 kit or just buy replacement parts and upgrade my older B4?

I also noticed the B44.1 and B44.2 and iv always wanted to get into 4wd. Whats new in the .1 and .2 that wasnt in the older B44?

Anyone know any good tracks (indoor or out door) near Norfolk VA, like around Chesapeake, Hampton, VA Beach, Newport News area?

Sorry for the stupid questions, i just want to make sure i have the new good stuff and want to stay competitive.

~Gizmo
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

you're good to go man.
refresh the b4 and roll.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:38 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Derbies rc world is a great track in Chesapeake. It's on military why. They have an indoor clay track we race at every Saturday and some Wednesdays. Today happens to be one of those Wednesdays if you Wang to come check it out. Track opens at 3 and races start at 5 I believe
Old 01-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Tech Adept

Should i get the new shocks and spur setup?

I would go tonight but i got stuff to do and my cars r in cali. Im just looking for a good track before i spend the money to ship all my stuff. Ill check it out saturday. Hows the 2wd heats look like?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

2wd buggy is extremely popular. Always enough for a b main and sometimes enough for a c. Points series dates are the most popular. Next points race is on the 19th
Old 01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Whats the address to the track? I want to check it out tomorrow after work.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

1828 South Military Highway Chesapeake, VA 23320

Opens at 12 and closes at 5. Walk through the front of the store and the track is through the door on the back wall. Was some great racing tonight!
Old 01-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Tech Adept

Went to Debbie's today, talked to one of the locals and some of the workers and it seems like a legit place. Bought myself a 4.1 and a 44.2. Figured with the amount it would of cost me to get my B4 up again i might as well buy a new kit, and iv always wanted a 4wd. Now i need to ship all my stuff over here
Old 01-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Oooh fun! I got myself a b44.2 a few weeks back and just bought a b4.1 as well. Got rid of the SCT as it just isn't popular here. The 4wd class here is hopping, generally 15-20 cars out every weekend, and the racing is ultra competitive. See you at the track soon!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Tech Adept

Build these cars without my tools is a pain in the ***! Iv been building the B4.1 for over 8 hours and im finally almost done but im stuck at the shock caps. The screws dont thread in because the hole is too small and i dont have my tools to make it eaiser, i cant put enough pressure on the crappy allen wrench to get it to go, i have to cut it witha razor blade to try to get it to go. Ima have to stop by tomorrow to get some tools so i can build the B44.2, if the 2wd is a pain i know the 4wd will be almost impossible! Might need to pick up some new shock caps too -,_-

Last edited by badaml; 01-05-2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ya a proper set of tools is a lifesaver. Do yourself a favor and pick up a set of Losi hex wrenches in SAE. They are awesome tools, I have had mine for over a year now and never have stripped a screw or hex head. Stop in the back and watch the racing too!
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The best tip I can give you is to get a cordless screwdriver and purchase some hex adaptors. I use EDS. Also, many swear by MIP handheld hex tools. The time saved and no aggravation of using cheap tools and stripping screws is well worth it..... Others can chime in on what they use... I think a lot of guys use a Ryobi screwdriver.. I had a Black and decker $20 jobber already so I never made the switch. Mine does not have an adjustable torque feature like the Ryobi... you can also check out Craftsman....
Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One other thing... You may want to install a Lipo in your transmitter. I use this one:
http://promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=8

You won't have to charge transmitter batteries all of the time, thus giving you more time to work on your car, or just have more fun... You can probably find a cheaper battery, but I like the reliability of this guys stuff....

This guy makes fantastic batteries for great prices too...

And for the record.. I am not sponsored by this guy and do not even know him.... just great products and fast shipping...
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

AHHHHHH LiPo in my M11X is a great idea, no idea why i never did that before hand. I have all the tools back in Cali and once i get my buddies address ill be shipping my stuff out. I did buy a set of the Dynamite hex drivers and a razor blade to finish up the kits. My fingers still hurt from the **** in box allen wrenches. The B4.1 took over 10 hours to build with the allen wrench, the B44.2 took about 6 with the hex drivers and that included going out to eat lol. OMG the servo for that was kicking my *** so hard. I spent at least an hour trying to get it to fit, then i finally realized i had the **** ball stud going the wrong way -_- haha. One thing i noticed with the B44.2 is that the dog bones barely go into the diffs. I even tried turning them around (front in back, back in front, even tried putting the right side in the left side just to see if there was a difference). Is this normal for the dog bones?

Last edited by badaml; 01-05-2013 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Language
Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

MAke sure your shock eyelets are threaded all the way in. Also assure you installed 1 shock limiter in each shock under the piston. My dogbones are close at full droop but I haven't had any issues with them popping out yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.