Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
RC10 Team Car, 20+ years later >

RC10 Team Car, 20+ years later

RC10 Team Car, 20+ years later

Old 12-31-2012, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jk racing
I personally use the Thunder Tiger Phoenix BX II rear wheels, they are the correct offset, 2.2 for modern tires. They are 3/16", not 1/4", so I put B2/B3 CVDs on my car and changed the rear bearings to match. Duratrax Evader BX front wheels are also the correct offset for the nose of the car, also 2.2 for modern rubber.

The 10 can be easily competitive, like mentioned above, its tires and driver mostly now, until you get into the higher levels of competition.
Cool! Thanks for the tips.
I know I'll have to get some decent rubber eventually.

Sean
Old 12-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Gotta love beating up on the "plastic" cars

Get that thing on the track and ready to race!
Old 01-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Tech Regular

Started digging in my wheels n tires box and found some AE wheels of the proper size. Then I raided my son's stash for some proper doughnuts to put on 'em. Duratrax Equalizer on the back and dBoots Blockpass on the front.

Also found a more suitable bumper, another vintage Andy's part. This one should be more carpet friendly.

I'd like to get a new body for it, try to mask its age with something newer. Anybody try a Proline bulldog on an old chassis?

The old body is falling apart and I'm pretty sure it will be toast in no time. Also, I have my doubts about the track letting me run the aluminum wing. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sean
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Towerhobbies still sells that exact body, the Viper. They still have the original Protech I as well
Old 01-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer
Started digging in my wheels n tires box and found some AE wheels of the proper size. Then I raided my son's stash for some proper doughnuts to put on 'em. Duratrax Equalizer on the back and dBoots Blockpass on the front.

Also found a more suitable bumper, another vintage Andy's part. This one should be more carpet friendly.

I'd like to get a new body for it, try to mask its age with something newer. Anybody try a Proline bulldog on an old chassis?

The old body is falling apart and I'm pretty sure it will be toast in no time. Also, I have my doubts about the track letting me run the aluminum wing. Any suggestions are welcome.

Sean
How about this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-RC10...item230cfc6e75

Team blue groove reproduces a lot of vintage body's . Check them out on eBay .

I've heard that a B3/B2 body can be made to fit but I don't know for sure .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASSOCIATED-B...item231512edc1
Old 01-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jk racing
Towerhobbies still sells that exact body, the Viper. They still have the original Protech I as well
Less than $13 each too!

Sean
Old 01-05-2013, 07:19 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Radi0Flyer
Thanks. LiFe batteries are more tolerant to deep discharge than LiPo so I don't need one for it. When I step up to LiPo and brushless, my ESC will have LVC built-in.

Also, for those that are telling me to go to RC10Talk, I'm already there and I've checked out the relevant threads. The "Resurecting/Modernizing Your Vintage R/C's" thread mostly deals with electronics and doesn't go into setting up the car for high traction carpet. There is nothing there that you guys here haven't already suggested. Lots of "Old is New" threads but doesn't seem like anybody is actually running those buggies. If I can't find some setup advice I will just do trial and error until I find a good working combo.

Those are just the big ones...

That was a few years ago, they all moved up one size since then, all orange.
Oh and the wife races too; here she is on my 520SX, a bike most GUYS don't want to ride at the track. The number 27 bike in the other picture is her XC/Hare scramble bike.

Sean
How come the smallest kid has a 2 stroke, but the middle kid doesn't???
Old 01-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Advantage R/C
How come the smallest kid has a 2 stroke, but the middle kid doesn't???
All three orange bikes are KTM 2 strokes. A Mini Adventure 50cc, a Senior Adventure 50cc and a 65SX. I'm on a Chinese 125cc 4 stroke pitbike.

Sean
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up My Black and Gold project

New project Ive been working on, new bearings throughout, new paint.12.5 brushless, spektrum,

carbon fiber goodies on the way, as well as JC wheels so I can bolt on some current rubber, haven't decided on the ESC yet,
Attached Thumbnails RC10 Team Car, 20+ years later-retro-rc10.jpg  
Old 01-06-2013, 06:46 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JEracing
New project Ive been working on, new bearings throughout, new paint.12.5 brushless, spektrum,

carbon fiber goodies on the way, as well as JC wheels so I can bolt on some current rubber, haven't decided on the ESC yet,
That looks sharp.

Sean
Old 01-27-2013, 11:33 AM
Tech Regular

Finally got the chance to go head to head with the kid. Boy am I glad he couldn't make a run without breaking a shock tower! Somehow, a 17 turn brushed motor isn't as fast as I remember. Still held him off for the most part. I was way oversprung which was great on the flat corners but not so much on the jumps. Only had one issue all day which was a pivot ball pulling out of its mount.

I fixed it up and never had another problem all day despite crashing it often and hard a few times. Other racers were all surprised I was running it, asking me if I was worried about breaking parts that I couldn't replace. I told them that the car was 20 years old and that it will still be around when their current racers are just a bunch of plastic parts in a box. I ran about seven battery packs through it and had a ton of fun. My son will have some stronger parts on his DEX210 next time so I will sort out the suspension a bit more and maybe run a 7 cell battery.

Sean