Wiki Posts
Search

Off-Road RC --- Discussion Topic @ Track/Forums

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 07:18 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)
Default Off-Road RC --- Discussion Topic @ Track/Forums

Is it just me, or is there as much complaining in this hobby as there is tech talk? Why are so many people quick to be confrontational or complain about something?

It's not just on here, but locally too. People at the track complain. People at hobby shops seem to complain a lot. On here, there is complaining. It seems there is this nostalgia surrounding RC..................

I'm not attempting to start a debate. I know people will say, "Well, maybe that's your track, or maybe its the forums you are in, or maybe it's you?" ----However, I'm sure a lot of you can relate to what I'm saying. Perhaps I'm not as good with words as some of you may possibly be in describing this.

Sometimes it's almost enough to push me out of the hobby. I know it has others.... Can't we just get back to good ole' off-road RC talk?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Tech Prophet

Yea well when some people can get on a forum and express there dislikes of a truck or part or start things with people its easy to do on a keyboard.

Honestly you will always have people who complain about everything like they say a offroad track is to rough or there not running it right you know. It never made me think about leaving the Sport because of that though.

You cant please everybody .
Old 12-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Yea well when some people can get on a forum and express there dislikes of a truck or part or start things with people its easy to do on a keyboard. Honestly you will always have people who complain about everything like they say a offroad track is to rough or there not running it right you know.

You cant please everybody .
Speakin truth
Old 12-21-2012, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

It is a direct correlation to society. It is so easy to get on here and ask questions, which is a good thing, but the problem stems from how people ask the questions (terrible spelling and grammar, same question that has been asked and answered a thousand times, and ridiculously idiotic questions). There are very few people on here who really know what they are talking about (I would say they constitute about 2% of the members). They are so fed up with answering the same/idiotic questions over and over that they just stop posting. Then you have the people that know enough to sound like they know what they are talking about to those who truly have no idea (the ones asking the majority of the questions). I would say the people who know just enough to sound smart make up probably 85% of the people on here. The rest are really new, or foreigners who don't understand English well enough to post something in the right section (or if it is in the right section the translation is so terrible that nobody can comprehend what they are trying to say).

Bottom line is this is an open forum and there is no control over who posts what information. I personally have given up on trying to help people. I have been doing this hobby for a long time, but I just can't handle the stupidity any longer. I post something pointing out how simple something is to figure out if you have common sense, and because I have little tolerance for stupidity, my posts come off as mean.

Here is an example where I just didn't say anything, though I really wanted to.

The guy was building his big bore shocks for his B4. The instructions call for the 5mm offset spring cups. The big bores come with 0mm, 5mm, and 8mm offset spring cups, and he couldn't figure out that the middle height cups were the 5mm ones. I mean come on, REALLY?!?

As for people at the track, again it is going to be different from track to track. If you race at a bunch of different you will see this. If the talent is deep and real, people are going to take it a bit more serious. If there is little talent, the environment is usually more lighthearted.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:57 PM
Tech Prophet

No i dont think its stupid questions new guys to racing ask on here about things thats how we all learned. If you dont want to answer the question than just ignore the person its not hard.

And the spelling grammer come on it might not be spelled exactly right but you know what it means who cares.

One thing that i know that would really help on this forum is when people want to search for something that it shows what they are looking for and not a butch of really old treads.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc5 man
No i dont think its stupid questions new guys to racing ask on here about things thats how we all learned. If you dont want to answer the question than just ignore the person its not hard.

And the spelling grammer come on it might not be spelled exactly right but you know what it means who cares.

One thing that i know that would really help on this forum is when people want to search for something that it shows what they are looking for and not a butch of really old treads.
They are stupid questions when the answer was given anywhere from 3 posts above to 2 pages back. Far too many people want an answer without having to do the work. The Search this Thread function may not be the greatest but it sure does answer a lot of questions much faster than waiting for a response.
Spelling and grammar..... who cares? Maybe more people should care. Do it right for the sake of doing it right. It makes it easier to comprehend what you think you're trying to ask, and might just make others think you're just a newb who's trying to learn instead of someone who "doesn't care".

Part of the search function allows you to search for individual quotes, not just an entire old thread. When I was new I looked for someone who asked the same question I did, and usually my answer was right there.

The thing I did that made the biggest difference was to read. Just read the thread. Sure some may be 4000+ posts, but when you scroll past the bs questions and friends having non RC conversations it actually goes by pretty fast, if you can read well. I did a ton of reading in many threads, and learned a lot in a very short time but some things take longer than others and some concepts are harder to grasp than others. I'm still learning and still reading even though I'm definitely well into the 85% and hoping to become one of the 2%.