Community
Wiki Posts
Search

new to short course

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2012, 04:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default new to short course

Wassup rctech just got a new venom gambler brushed version. Want to get into brushless sct racing any suggestions. Please no "get another truck" posts please. Ill post pics tomarro
Old 12-13-2012, 04:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you want to get into racing. Learn how to drive clean lines and pass cleanly. For some reason, most short course drivers don't understand this concept.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Tires, lipos/charger, cheap Hobbywing (or used) system to get used to racing/brushless.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/07e-combo-sc-a.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-40c-50...-hardcase.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/75p-t610-charger.html

...and get whatever tires are good for the track you are racing at. If you don't know, ask people there, because tires are very track specific.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 29 (97%+)

Originally Posted by MMor101
If you want to get into racing. Learn how to drive clean lines and pass cleanly. For some reason, most short course drivers don't understand this concept.

Which, funny enough, isn't what that class was about, at least not until the super serious wannabe racers got a chokehold on it. It was supposed to be paint sharing, contact encouraged racing.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Devigili22
Which, funny enough, isn't what that class was about, at least not until the super serious wannabe racers got a chokehold on it. It was supposed to be paint sharing, contact encouraged racing.
Make sense. I guess that's why I race 2wd buggy now.
Old 12-13-2012, 04:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Cool thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated. What's a common shock weight oil I feel as the 35wt is too spongey.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

+1
Old 12-13-2012, 05:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Call me crazy but if you watch full size Short course racing there is quite a bit of fender banging . Now spinning people out in the turns or on the straightaway ok thats excessive if its really odvious looking.

What your talking about happens on small indoor tracks which it just happens. Thats just the part of short course racing .
It doesnt happen much on bigger tracks really as much.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Prophet

Anyways if you want to get into racing with a short course 2wd and dont want to add cash to upgrade into a racing short course like a slash which i did.

I would take a look at the Losi XXX-SCT , SC10 , 22SCT. I would get the SC10 not being bias but i just like the shocks on it better than the losi bottom loaded shocks which ive had before and did not like them much.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

he already has a truck....
just like stated before. learn to drive clean and your times will go down. i wouldnt change anything on it til you get it to the track and drive it. then change one thing at a time until you get it comfy for you.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:35 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TrxHollow13
Wassup rctech just got a new venom gambler brushed version. Want to get into brushless sct racing any suggestions. Please no "get another truck" posts please. Ill post pics tomarro
Welcome to Short Course. I'm glad you said that, because I find it especially annoying when some people on this board tell others that their car "sucks". It's so rude. Your truck is fine.

It's a great hobby as long as you remember that it's about having fun, not trying to land a sponsorship. Make sure you understand the basics of all your electronics before you start running it. You really need to know about monitoring temperature for the motor/esc. Too much heat can signal death for your motor and speed control. Before you put your truck on the track, watch what others do. Look for a good driver and see how they turn the corners and set up for jumps. Go easy on the throttle until you get more comfortable with the car. Ask for advice from local guys about setups and equipment. Most of all, have fun!!

If you do decide to get more serious about racing, then you can think about upgrading to another truck.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Suggestions ? go race. and learn stuff , all while having fun of course ! Seriously read lots of posts, do lots of searches, learn the lay of the land. Almost every question has been answered here. For example for questions and answers about your Gambler use this thread http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...er-thread.html Same for electronics and such.
Actual "racing" suggestion ? survive.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:14 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Welcome to short course racing.....
Old 12-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Tech Regular

of course you will start in the beginners class then after a couple of races you can move up the SC 2wd when you feel comfortable racing. It is much more difficult than bashing where you don't have to stay within the lanes and navigate around others trying to pass you. Also watch the SC 2wd class and see how they drive. The intermediates/experts make it look easy. But with some practice and upgrades you will drive better every time. Don't worry about speed, learn steering, throttle control, and there are the jumps to handle. It's all fun most folks at the track I have met are very helpful.

have a blast.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for all the info and good tips. Probably will have pics up soon. I came a cross an issue. When the truck is on the ground the motor screams but the wheels don't match. But when I lift the rear of the truck the wheels go as fast as the motor will let it. I thought it was mesh or my spur being striped but that's all fine. While looking at the spur/pinion and applying power they spin while the wheels slowly spin when the wheels on the ground. I hope this makes sense cuz I'm stumped and its a xmas gift I wasn't supposed to open yet..... Help Hollow lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.