Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New to Electric, Need Help

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to Electric, Need Help

Hi I am purchasing a 1/10 short course truck (just a cheapie) with a brushless setup and I am winning a 1/16 traxxas Rally on ebay (fingers crossed) but I honestly do not know anything about electric cars, I have had a Nitro truck for a very long time and nnow everyone in my local area is going to electric and I want to as well. I do not understand a thing about bateries and motors. Are there linits on the batteries you can use on your vehichle and how do you tell what they are? the battery with the sc truck is a "7.4V 4000mAh 25C Hardcase Li-Po" I do know that li-pos are better than nicad and thats about all i know lol please help
Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Lipo is way better than NiCad, in fact NiCad has been phased out for NiMh, which lipo beats them too... just more power for the weight.

Trick is that you need a LiPo charger, and I would recommend a LiPo safe bag. There are some pretty good chargers to be had in the $50 range if you do not have one.

The C rating is how more less a measure of how fast the batter can feed power out. If you demand beyond the C rating on your LiPo it can puff up and be ruined. 25C is a little low for most of us, I would suggest at least a 40C in a SC truck... they are just a little heavy and demand a lot of power.

2S is the number of cells and that will be your voltage. Some ESCs and or motors will only do 2S which is normal and plenty, but some will do more. Racing though is limited to 2S for most 1:10 scale clubs though.

And of course the mAh rating is going to effect how long you can run just like it would in NiCad or NiMh battery.

And a LiPo does require some special care, for the most part do not cook it in a hot garage and do not run it flat out of power, if you run them all the way down like you would most other batteries they will not accept a charge any more. Most ESC's will be "LiPo safe" and have a low voltage cut off to keep that from happending, when you get down low enough your car will stop when that switch cuts. And back to the charger, only charge it on a LiPo charger, unless you want to ruin the pack and maybe leave a scorch mark on the workbench.

They are safe, they just need to be treated right.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Snoopaloop986
Hi I am purchasing a 1/10 short course truck (just a cheapie) with a brushless setup and I am winning a 1/16 traxxas Rally on ebay (fingers crossed) but I honestly do not know anything about electric cars, I have had a Nitro truck for a very long time and nnow everyone in my local area is going to electric and I want to as well. I do not understand a thing about bateries and motors. Are there linits on the batteries you can use on your vehichle and how do you tell what they are? the battery with the sc truck is a "7.4V 4000mAh 25C Hardcase Li-Po" I do know that li-pos are better than nicad and thats about all i know lol please help
You have a lot of reading ahead of you friend. Gain as much knowledge as you can. Look on this site as well as youtube, helifreak.com, and offshoreelectrics.com I always cross reference all info I find to be sure that it's accurate. The most info about lipo's that I found was on the helifreak site. Electric power is where it's at lately. Even the plane guys are starting to seriously get into electric power over nitro and gas. Do your research on quality chargers too. Spend the money on a good one. You can get away with cheap lipo's, but not a cheap charger. Cheap chargers usually have technical deficiencies that are detrimental to your lipo's. Some brands to consider are Hyperion EOS series, Thunder Power, Icharger, and FMA Cellpro.